1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ABC/Disney to air first lesbian kiss on daytime TV...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by I Am Blessed 24, Apr 17, 2003.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

God burned Sodom because of homosexuality; NOT adultery and fornication.

Really?

There are a total of 39 mentions of the word "Sodom" in the King James Version of the Old Testament, not one of which relates explicitly and unambiguously to homosexuality.

Ezekien says Sodom was guilty of godless pride: Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, surfeit of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. (Ezek 16:49)

In Matt. 10:14-15 Jesus, when directing his disciples to go forth and preach his word, said that they should immediately leave any city that did not offer them hospitality and that God would destroy that city as he did Sodom. The implication here is that Sodom was destroyed because its sinful pride prevented them from providing welcome to strangers in need.

Now here's something interesting: In Gen. 14:8-10 we find the story of the war on the plains that was lost by Bera king of Sodom and Birsha king of Gomorrah. The winners of the war had sacked those cities, taking as prisoners Lot, his family, and most of the cities' inhabitants with all their possessions. Abraham rescued them all and graciously accepted the thanks of the kings with no mention of their sexually sinful ways.

Now, before you quote Leviticus 18:22 which says a man maying with a man is an abomination, you can take it one of two ways:

1 - figuratively, which is that same sex relations (man with man) is equivalent to fornication (abomination), or

2 - that sex between a man and a man is punishable by death, but since it does not mention women, a woman laying with a woman is not, since it is not mentioned.

And before you get too hung up on the word "abomination" remember that Proverbs 6:6-19 says that he that sows discord in the community is an abomination, something which we've probably all done on occaision.

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The implication here to me is that the men of Sodom wanted to rape the Angels. That certainly would equate to not showing hospitality or welcoming strangers.

BTW, God did mention women sleeping with women in the Bible.

[​IMG]
    Sue

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The implication here to me is that the men of Sodom wanted to rape the Angels. That certainly would equate to not showing hospitality or welcoming strangers.
    Assuming you're correct, rape is a crime of violence, not sex. It is one that involved doing something against another person's will. Most rapists are heterosexuals, btw.

BTW, God did mention women sleeping with women in the Bible.
    Where?

4. InHim2002

InHim2002 New Member

John - it is mentioned in Romans:

- Romans 1:26,27

I am not at all convinced that this refers to lesbian sex rather than sodomy - additionally I would be interested to hear why lesbianism is 'dangerous' - there are no recorded transmissions of HIV from women to women for example...

5. I Am Blessed 24

Thank you InHim for finding that verse for me. I could quote it, but had trouble finding the scripture reference.

It is dangerous because it is SIN.

[​IMG]
    Sue

6. stubbornkelly

stubbornkelly New Member

Sue, I think what he's getting at is the issue of God's protection for us. Many people have speculated that one reason for God's condemnation of homosexuality (at least among men) is that He knew it would be physically dangerous, and that there would be possible physical repercussions, so He just made it off limits. Am I even close, InHim?

I'm still trying to get over the bestiality comment.

7. I Am Blessed 24

InHIm; Yes, HIV can be transferred from women to women. I did a 'Google' search and also an 'Ask Mr. Jeeves' search and came up with several articles.

Due to the graphic nature of this subject, it would be very inappropriate to post it here. I suggest you do your own search. There are many resources and they are very easy to find.

Blessings,
    Sue

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Yes, and murder is the same as killing. Would you rather your child viewed the death of an innocent due to being shot in war or a prowler breaking into a house and stabbing a person to death?

Gina

9. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member