1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ABC to air Empire

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by 4His_glory, Jun 24, 2005.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

ABC has a new program they will be showing about the Roman Empire. It takes place during the time Caeser was killed and Roman became a republic for a brief period.

Does anybody know how accurate this is supposed to be? Ussually televison and movies don't get their historicall facts right.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only review I've read suggests that it's more Hollywood than history, as is the usual case.

(BTW: Caesar's term as dictator is usually thought of the end of the Republic, though it had been incresingly moribund since the time of Gaius Marius and Sulla.)

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I am not very well versed in anchient history, but most of my study and reading has been US history- particularly the War of Indenpendce and Civil War.

Thanks for the info. I thought that Rome became a republic after Caesar's death, a later became an Empire again.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    A historical flick can be good without being accurate. "Braveheart" had many historical flaws, but I liked it. (To show how picky I am, I'm a bit miffed that the future Augustus is called Octavius in the miniseries when he was known as Octavian(us) after his adoption by Julius Caesar. Quibble, quibble.)

I'm continuing to read reviews of "Empire" — some good, some bad — and probably will give it a try. The swordplay is supposed to be good, and if the reviews are correct about the amount of political backstabbing presented in the movie, it may prove to be illuminating.

It has to be better than TNT's Attila, which reduced a Roman army to what looked to be a platoon ...

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I know that Braveheart had some historical errors in it, but I think that they intended to include some of them. Empire may do the same thing.