1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abortion at lowest rate since 1974

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Salty, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We should continue to educate people with the clear facts of abortion.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was reading statistics the other day concerning this and I found it to be interesting that the abortion rate dropped more during the Bill Clinton presidency than during the current Bush presidency.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Hillary Clinton Perpetuates Urban Myth of Abortion Increase Under Bush

By Randall K. O'Bannon, Ph.D.
    Director of Education and Research

In a widely touted speech, Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) revived the recently coined myth that abortions decreased while her husband was President and increased under the stewardship of President George W. Bush.

Addressing what the Los Angeles Times (1/25/05) called "about 1,000 fellow abortion rights supporters," Sen. Clinton told the 28th annual conference of Family Planning Advocates of New York State in Albany that during her husband's administration, "we saw the rate of abortion consistently fall."

After claiming that the abortion rate fell by one quarter between 1990 and 1995, and another 11% between 1994 and 2000, she launched a broadside at the Bush administration. "But unfortunately in the last few years, while we are engaged in ideological debate instead of one that uses facts and evidence and common sense, the rate of abortion is on the rise in some states."

Naming neither the states nor her sources, she continued with her diatribe. "In the [first] three years since President Bush took office, eight states have seen an increase in abortion rates and four saw a decrease."

While the Times asked Clinton if she felt Bush's policies were directly responsible for the increase (Clinton told the paper she did not know), the newspaper does not appear to have checked her facts or challenged her assertion. Neither did other papers who printed the story.

The facts are not on Senator Clinton's side. The abortion rate did not decline by 25% from 1990 to 1995. In addition, the only "study" known to have been published claiming since 2000 that abortions are up in more states than down was based on serious statistical flaws and just plain false assertions.

http://www.nrlc.org/news/2005/NRL02/AbortionIncreaseMyth.html

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More from the article:

"Abortions did decline during Clinton's two terms, but not nearly as much as Roche reported. Moreover, it was a decline that started while the first George Bush was President and petered out to a crawl by the time Clinton left office."

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abortions rising under Bush? Not true. How that false claim came to be - and lives on.

Politicians from Hillary Clinton and John Kerry to Howard Dean have recently contended that abortions have increased since George W. Bush took office in 2001.
    This claim is false. It's based on an an opinion piece that used data from only 16 states. A study by the Alan Guttmacher Institute of 43 states found that abortions have actually decreased. Update, May 26: The author of the original claim now concedes that the Guttmacher study is "significantly better" than his own.

http://www.factcheck.org/society/the_biography_of_a_bad_statistic.html

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I read the other day was from a neutral source. It was just statistics, not interpretation. Sorry, but I did not keep the website address and I don't recall its name. The statistics showed that abortions have dropped during the Bush presidency, just not as much percentage wise as during the Clinton presidency.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stats can be used any way you present them.

Suppose under Bush I, in his last year, there were 1,ooo abortions.

Then under Clinton there were 300 less abortion
    (1000 -300 =700 abortions

then under Bush II there were 280 less abortions
    (700-280=420)

Who made the greater impact
    Under Clinton there was 300 less which is 30%
    Under Bush there was 280 less which is 40%

So actually, they both could claim they had less

Liars figure, figures never lie

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was going by percentage increase.

As Christians we should be less concerned about who gets credit and just be thankful that the rate of abortions has dropped.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was mistaken then. I apologize. I thought that since you pointed out someones perceived diferences in the abortion rates between the Clinton administration and the Bush administration that you were giving credit to the Clinton administration for better policies that lead to the better rate.

I had no idea that you were simply excited about the lower rate of abortion regardles of who may have provided better policies. My mistake.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I was going by percentage increase."

I meant to type "decrease".

12. billwald

billwald New Member

We can expect the crime rate to start rising in 15 or so years.

13. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

This is a bunch of political junk, and if you give any credence to it, you lack discernment. What they mean by "decline" is that there are fewer doctors cutting unborn babies' brains out. this is only true because they hand out contraceptives in Jr. High and elementary school! "Contraceptives" are usually abortion-inducing pills that kills the fertilized egg, after human life has begun. Just because there are fewer at abortion clinics, they want us to believe there is less going on. There is no way to count the number of innocent lives taken since the Clinton administration.