1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abortion: Is terminating an ectopic pregnancy scripturally permissible?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Johnv, Nov 30, 2009.

?
  1. Yes - It is self defense. Scripture permits killing of the fetus so that the mother may live.

13 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No - The mother must allow herself and fetus to die.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

What's the root of the word? Do you even know? Was it around and being used before abortions were legal? Is there an equal word in Greek and Hebrew?

All this argument over proper words is silly. A fetus is a stage of life, just as being a zygote or being a baby is. It's all life. If people would quit trying to prove what life is by wrongly attacking terminology and thus making pro-lifers look ignorant and stupid, it would be a lot easier to preserve life. Fight lies with truth, not with more lies.

That said, I'm very sorry for anyone who has lost a child through spontaneous abortion or who had a pregnancy that warranted the need for an abortion. One of my best friends almost died when her fallopian tube burst due to an ectopic pregnancy.
    One can go find a couple miracle cases where a person survived a pregnancy outside the uterus and so did the fetus, but it is strange and unusual that it happens. It will NOT happen in certain areas of the body without causing very dangerous or deadly results. Thank God we have the technology we do to allow one person to live instead of having two die.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No its not. It is dehumanizing therefore removing the sting of the conscience.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yet, the accuser uses the opportunity to make unrighteous and libelous accusations against members of the brethren without the sting of conscience.

If a Christian isn't mature enough to use the words "fetus" and "embryo" in context, then that person should not use the words. However, that person should not falsely accuse a mature Christian for using those words in context. It's not their fault that the accuser is not yet mature.

#24 Johnv, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2009
  5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Your lack of willingness to study stuff before you speak matters as truth is disconcerting. Always study a subject for longer than you talk about it.

Right now all you can do is say what you think and then say "yah huh," so until you have a little more knowledge, there's no other reply to give you.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, to be technical, it's using the proper names for the baby before they're born. At the point of fertilization, the baby is called a "zygote". Around the time of implantation, it's a blastocyst. Around two weeks later (about the time of the missed period), the child is technically an "embryo". By 10 weeks, the embryo is now called a fetus and continues to be called a fetus until it's birth. It's just the facts, sir. ;)

Of course, I much prefer to call the child a "baby" but calling it by it's proper name doesn't dehumanize it at all IMO.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Such names sounds nothing like anything human. Without a doubt it dehumanizes the child. This fact is made clear with statements made by the like of Boxer who said " Conservatives are in love with the fetus". It would be difficult to say "Conservatives are in love with the unborn child" because the use of the word child indicates a human life. Fetus and zygote do nothing to indicate anything human or living.

#27 Revmitchell, Dec 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2009
  8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't know. It certainly denotes life to me.

9. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The term fetus is used in humans to denote the period between 8wks development and birth.

Different regions have different policies for how late they will abort. Usually it is somewhere between 12-20 weeks.

It obviously has nothing to do with the term fetus since it is legal to abort fetuses below that age but not legal to abort fetuses above that age.

10. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I'm with you Rev. It's a common tactic by the pro-murder crowd to call a baby a fetus or a zygote and they know exactly why they are doing it. They are doing it to downplay the fact that we are talking about human children. They would rather have us think that the abortion is being done of some mass of tissue called a zygote or a fetus.

11. matt wade

Oh, and another thing. I didn't vote in the poll since it is obviously biased to begin with. Let me know when there is a choice for allowing God to be in control.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's right such terms are commonly used to imply the unborn child is nothing more than a mass of tissues, lifeless, not human, and no moral responsibility the child.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

If the mother's life is in danger and the baby cannot survive, I do not see how it is wrong to terminate the pregnancy.

As for the word "fetus" -- I am not going to get on someone's case for using that word. However, I was pro-choice most of my life and I can tell you that I and my pro-choice friends always used the word "fetus" for an unborn child if there was to be an abortion or if abortion was the topic, never "baby." I never had an abortion (I almost did) but many of my friends did.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Neither choice in the poll presumes God is not in control.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So what? I'm been staunchly pro-life my entire life, and I frequently use the words "fetus" "embryo" and "zygote". For someone to accuse me of being disingenuous just because those words are used is a an unrighteous accusation and flat out lie on their part. It says more about the accuser's state than it does mine.

This is a case of reverse-political correctness gone awry. I don't need to refer to a bulb as a plant, even though that's what it is. I don't need to refer to an unhatched chicken egg as a chicken, even though that's what it is. I don't need to refer to a pig fetus as a pig, even though that's what it is (can you tell I'm a 4-H dad??). But if I don't refer to a fetus or embryo as a human, then all Hades breaks loose!!!

16. matt wade

Plants, chickens and pigs don't have souls.

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Why such an overreaction to my simple observations?

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It wasn't directed at you per se, Marcia, sorry if it came off that way. If you look at the history of this thread, there has crept a tendency to question the spiritual state and/or motive of anyone who uses the words "fetus" and "embryo".

Obviously, making judgment upon a person just because they use the words "fetus" or "embryo" is unrighteous jugdement, and scripturally forbidden. The terms "fetus" and "embryo" are medical terms, and there's nothing morally wrong with a Christian using them in that context. The question is whether a person believes that fetus or embryo are a person. To accuse someone who uses the words "embryo" or "fetus" of not being pro-life says more about the unrigteous heart of the accuser than it does of the accused.

19. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

OK, apology accepted. Thanks.

In fact, I made a point that I don't judge people based on their use of this word. So you are reacting to the thread and not to me.

Btw, I agreed with your last post (the one where you agreed with me and then made a further statement) on the Pregnancy Center thread but couldn't post because the thread was closed.

20. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I share your viewpoint here. I'm bothered that some would make disparaging and inaccurate judgements upon other Christians for uncalled for reasons such this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.