1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Abortion Is Wrong

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by PrivateWoman, Sep 17, 2010.

?
  1. Yes, Definitely

90.7%
  2. Unsure/Undecided

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, abortion is murder, but it is an acceptable choice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No

9.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. targus

targus New Member

My point is that abortion is not self defense.

2. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

The fetus did. Yes, in that situation the mother should have the option of a therapeutic abortion.

3. targus

targus New Member

The fetus created the situation?

Seriously?

Well, I can see what kind of a lawyer you would make.

I suggest that you take a class on ethics at a good Christian college.

4. FR7 Baptist

I'd suggest you take a good look at ethics if you'd be willing to let your wife and unborn fetus die instead of saving your wife's life. :tear:

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trusting God is not sophomoric, but your answer surely was. It is the typical way you have of avoiding answering rationally and having a rational discussion.

So, following your logic, if you had appendicitis you would trust God and not have your appendix out?

Morally acceptable to your own thinking. Try bed rest with a burst appendix.

#65 Crabtownboy, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2010
  6. targus

targus New Member

No avoiding of the discussion at all.

My answer is "Trust in God."

For you apparently that is no answer at all.

So be it.

Removing an appendix does not take another's life so there is no moral element involved.

Are you deliberately obtuse?

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The principle is the same. If you say "Just trust God", why not just trust God with your appendix? Exactly the same principle, trusting God.

I am sure your wife, if you have one, would be thrilled that you would "Just trust God" with her life and a very dangerous pregnancy, but that you would not "Just trust God" with your life with your appendix.

8. targus

targus New Member

In the case of a pregnancy which may pose a threat to the life of the mother - since abortion is the murder of the unborn and contrary to God's law one would trust that God would provide for the mother absent the abortion.

In the case of removing the appendix there is no violation of God's law so there is no necessity for trusting that God will provide an alternative. God is already providing a solution that does not go against His law.

But you already know that.

#68 targus, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
  9. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No one is arguing that point. You are saying "Trust God." So are you going to "Just trust God" in all medical problems, or are you going to "Just Trust God" when it comes to your wife, or others?

I trust God. I also trust Christian doctors to help me with difficult decisions.

Why won't you "Just trust God" in both cases. Seems you have a selective "Trust God" attitude. You want to have your cake and eat it too. You are avoiding the intent of the question.

#69 Crabtownboy, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
  10. targus

targus New Member

Apparently you are not bothering to read my posts because I just gave you the answer in the example with the appendix removal.

So you just want to pass the responsibility off to someone else then.

I have explained that a couple of times.

Either you are not reading my answers or are deliberately obtuse.

Everyone else can see what you are doing - yet again. :laugh:

11. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I'm reading your posts. First you made a flat statement, Just trust God. Now you are wanting to modify your stance ... situational ethics. Primarily, if the situation is about your life you are all for trusting doctors ... not the same trust for your wife. Guess you do not consider her life as worthy as yours.

When I have a question or problem I go to someone who knows more than I about that topic. Like I go to a mechanic when my car has a problem. I guess you would just trust God.

You have waffled and not addressed the real question. Typical. But at least you tried a bit, that is better than not answering at all.

12. targus

targus New Member

Well that's a start !!:laugh:

You asked what I would do in a specific situation.

I answered.

Not at all.

I trust that God will provide a solution that does not require me to violate His laws.

No modification at all - simply clarification in response to your obtuseness.

I have no idea where you come up with this conclusion - other than your desire to insult.

Shame on you.

I thought that you said that you read my posts. :laugh:

I have covered this three times now with the example about the appendix removal.

Everyone following along can see that I have not waffled at all.

That is what is great about a public forum like this.

Everyone else can see the score. :laugh:

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A tubal ectopic pregnancy is not one that has a possibility of "wait and see if it works out". A tubal pregnancy allowed to progress will severely risk the life of the mother and her future fertility - AND the child is doomed. Yes, you can wait in the hospital for the tube to burst before going in and hopefully saving the life of the mother but I don't know of any doctor that would risk such a thing (because there is SUCH a fine line there between safe and dead) so that is not a viable choice.

Unfortunately in the case of a tubal pregnancy, chemical means is the best choice to end the pregnancy. This is one of the few cases where I do believe that abortion is the right choice.

From tubal pregnancies, there are few other places to go where there is a true risk to the mother to continue the pregnancy. VERY few. In the three examples given, the first one is stupid. There is absolutely no risk to the mother to continue the pregnancy and I do know of pregnancies with the same diagnosis where the child survived. Quality of life was an issue but there was life. Where there is life, there is hope.

In the second and third cases, I would continue the pregnancy under very close medical supervision and deliver the child at the earliest safe time. A woman does not have to make it for the full 40 weeks to deliver a child who is healthy and so we can cut the duration of the risk to the mother by a number of weeks. If it were me, there is no way that I would abort the child.

14. FR7 Baptist

You raise a valid point about cutting the risk by a number of weeks. That's a good idea. In my view, abortion should be the last option if the mother can't be helped any other way.

15. RAdam

RAdam New Member

What a horrible question to pose! "An embryo in a petri dish." Good grief!

16. RAdam

RAdam New Member

I don't think it's right to kill a baby in order to save another human being.

17. RAdam

RAdam New Member

I can't think of a single godly mother I know that would kill her baby to save her own life.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And if that's the case (abortion being the last option if the mother can't be helped in any other way), the incidences of abortion would be very small. Very, very small.

19. FR7 Baptist

How is that a horrible question?

20. targus

targus New Member

Because it is apples and oranges.

A couple of cells in a dish is not going to grow into a human child without other intervention.

A fetus in a woman will.

No doubt you are patting yourself on the back for your self perceived cleverness - but your hypothetical doesn't work here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.