1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

? about proverb 26:10

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by dawna marie, Jun 26, 2004.

1. dawna marie

dawna marie New Member

why is this passage very differnt in other traslations?

:confused:

Kjv says proverbs 26:10 The Great God that formed all things both rewards the fool, and rewardeth transgressors.

niv says proverbs 26:10 like an archer who wounds at random is he who hires a fool or any passer-by

HCSB says proverbs 26:10 The one who hires a fool, or who hires those passing by is like an archer who wounds everyone

nlt says Proverbs 26
    10An employer who hires a fool or a bystander is like an archer who shoots recklessly.

nasb says Proverbs 26
    Like an archer who wounds everyone,
    So is he who hires a fool or who hires those who pass by.

DARBY says Proverbs 26
    10 A master roughly worketh every one: he both hireth the fool and hireth passers-by.

ylt says Proverbs 26
    10 Great [is] the Former of all, And He is rewarding a fool, And is rewarding transgressors

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Translations differ widely primarily because several words in this particular text have differing meanings; e.g., the Hebrew word [resh bara] can mean “much,” “master,” or “archer”.

The text here is also quite uncertain with many different variants so translations differ widely.

Rob

[ June 26, 2004, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: Deacon ]

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve gotta correct myself. In the unsuccessful attempt to try and post Hebrew letters, I misspelled one.

Translations differ widely primarily because several words in this particular text have differing meanings; e.g., the Hebrew word [resh beth] can mean “much,” “ great” “master,” “archer” or “commander”. (Strong’s # 7226, 7227, 7228, 7229)

The text here is also quite uncertain with many different variants so translations
    differ widely.

P.S. The Wycliffe Bible Commentary (on the subject of the KJV translation):All commentaries admit the difficulty of this verse. The LXX departs widely. “God” is not in the Hebrew. Formed can have several meanings, among which a common one is “pierce.” The great is read archer by the RSV, which is possible, but arrow is equally possible (cf. Job 16:13). A possibility is, “An arrow pierces all; so is one who rewards a fool and a transgressor.”

Should be interesting fodder in the Bible versions/translations forum.

Rob

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Douay-Rheims, RCC reflection of the Latin Vulgate:

Proverbs 26:10 Judgment determineth causes: and he that putteth a fool to silence, appeaseth anger.

There are several letters between Jerome and Augustine quibbling over the use of the LXX and the Hebrew and vice versa. I couldn't find a discussion concerning this verse in anything to which have access.

HankD

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The book of Proverbs presents many difficulties to a translator.

When translators have a word of uncertain meaning or one with multiple meanings, they usually can go to the verses immediately surrounding the passage to give them hints about what the word means.

But most of the book of Proverbs includes sayings that are made up of only two (often contrasting) phrases, offering the translator only modest contextual clues compared to most of Scripture.

Our sermon today used the text in Proverbs 14:31, and highlighted (for me) some of the same problems your opening post questioned. I used a different version than my pastor today.

Compare this to:

I will honor God if I care for the needy.
    Or
    If I honor God, I will care for the needy.

Not quite as earth shattering a difference as your verse but still a difference.

Interesting Dawna marie, I’ll have to look further into this! Thanks

Rob

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because of the choice of translation that the AV did, they had to move further away by adding in a totally unknown element (in this case "God") to the equation.

I appreciate the translations that must do the LEAST amount of adding man's thoughts to make the syntax and vocabulary work.

7. dawna marie

dawna marie New Member

Thanks for all your thoughts on this. Thanks for the help [​IMG]

8. RTG

RTG New Member

Considering the theme of the chapter,might it not be,a fool will get a fools reward,like wise a transgressor will get a transgressors reward.To me this verse brings to mind Romans 6:23 By the way Im reading from the KJ.

9. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

The KJB is the correct translation of this verse. Why, because it is God inspired.

10. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

I disagree. Nothing was added outside of what God wanted.