1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Above the Law...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Baptist in Richmond, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

You answered my question with a question?

2. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Look BIR. I am not being difficult or sarcastic. I can not reasonably answer your question until this has been cleared up. Quite honestly I do not currently know the answer to my question so I aslked you thinking you may be more educated on the matter. It was an honest question.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Yes, I did. If you notice, I tend to agree with you, but wonder about my question. :D

Separation of powers, and legitimate authority. If I issue you a subpoena, do you have to comply? You would say no, and rightly so, because I have no authority to issue a subpoena. This is a case where Congress has no authority to issue a subpoena about this matter, it seems to me.

Again, I would ask if the WH can summons Congressional aides to testify about conversations in their bosses office? I don't think so. And I think you agree. The power of oversight does not involve this kind of stuff, so far as I can tell. (Of course, that's not very far.)

Why not? You would ignore my subpoena. Furthermore, it wasn't really ignored. It was talked about beforehand, and after.

I think she should have gone and answered every question with, "That's none of your business."

Way too hot. Having VBS this week. And getting the boat out this afternoon for the first time this year (and the first time for my son who is 16 months old). Gonna take a little spin and see how she runs after a cold winter and a hot summer.

Hope all is well with you ... and cooler there than here.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure you are.:rolleyes:

Just as I am still waiting for you to back up your original contention that the actions of the Administration somehow place them "above the law", yet I have clearly shown that they don't.

Would you like to start another thread concerning your question? You evidently want to dodge your own issue in this one.

5. Baptist in Richmond

I asked you about Whitewater, and you responded with a question about Watergate. I never mentioned Watergate.

6. Baptist in Richmond

That is simply not true: you have "clearly" not shown anything. Claiming it don't make it true. [sic]

Go back and read the articles I have posted to this discussion.

This contumely is what you offer? Again, to usurp Al Franken, this says more about you than it does about me. Perhaps you could offer some sort of proof to back up your assertions thus far. That is, unless you are holding out Janet Reno as an authority.

7. Baptist in Richmond

Since when does Congress not have the authority to issue subpoenas? This is news to me.

I added your VBS (and all the workers) to my prayer list. I hope that all goes well, and your work yields much fruit. Please share the results with us, as this is much more important that subpoenas and testimony!!

And thanks for rubbing the boat in my face!!

It's starting to cool down.... a little. I went biking down at the beach last weekend, and I am now a true "redneck," as I didn't put on any sunscreen before I started riding the 20 miles we did that day. I put it on everywhere else but the back of my neck. The starched shirts were killing me this week (especially on Monday - my tie and my suit coat were absolutely BRUTAL). My prayers for rain are being answered though.

Great to hear that all is well,
    BiR

8. 2 Timothy2:1-4

My apologies. Whitewater... I am ashamed of how the GOp handled a number of things during the Clinton admin. More so about Lewinski than anything else. However that has no bearing or comparison to this situation.

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It is not a question of authority to issue subpoenas, per se. But a question of whom they were issuing it to. They cannot compel a member of another branch to come and testify. Think about it. what would the response be if the judiciary committee issued a subpoena to a Federal court clerk to come and testify about decision making in the court. There would be an uproar. Why is it any difference for the WH? I don't think it is.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Pastor Larry and BiR, a weather break:
    Over the last week here in TN, we've gotten back to normal with temps in the mid 90s and high humidity. Most of July was below avg. Days in the 80s. Humidity only in the 60% range. You could still see the mountains here in East Tennessee for the lack of haze. Heck, a couple of mornings you could see your breath.

Have you experienced any of this?

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have failed miserably to make your case.

You have been defeated by one sentence of a Supreme Court ruling. It was Congress that acted "above the law", if anyone did.

#51 carpro, Aug 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2007
  12. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Are really thinking this is comparable to the Whitewater Investigation. Do you know how the story broke? Do you know who called for the investigation?

13. Baptist in Richmond

<crickets chirping>

14. Baptist in Richmond

More questions?
    I asked you a question, and all I have received from you is more questions. Is that your answer to my question?

15. Baptist in Richmond

Yes. Things here are getting better. We REALLY needed the rain, and are finally getting it. I think we are only about two inches below normal on our YTD rainfall.

I am hoping to get back to East Tennessee (specifically the GSMNP) around Labor Day. I am long overdue for a bike ride around Cades Cove, as well as the trail through West Knoxville. Of course, I cannot forget the obligatory trip to my alma mater, and to pay my respects to its founder, Rev. Samuel Carrick (buried in the graveyard at First Presbyterian).

Regards, hope all is well with you,
    BiR

#55 Baptist in Richmond, Aug 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2007
  16. Baptist in Richmond

By the way, did you know about this?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/07/20070717-3.html

Wow: now I am an acolyte just like many on this board: the President's course in Iraq is the right one - no questions. I fully support the President regardless of his course of action in Iraq.

Or how about this one?
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2007/08/20070802-1.html

I have absolutely no idea why this Executive Order was done; nevertheless, whatever action is taken in Lebanon has my full and unquestioning support.

(Just wanted to get that on record.)

17. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Your question was so broad it was difficult to answer. so I made an attempt tomake things regarding your question more clear so I could answer it. But you do not seem to ba able to answer them.

God Bless

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess that response will have to stand as your final proof of the trhth of your original assertion. It is undoubtably the best, since you have offered no other.:thumbs:

19. Baptist in Richmond

carpro, you have offered nothing. The proof is right there in your posts.
    You can claim it all you want, but you have offered nothing.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just one sentence of a Supreme Court ruling that you have made no effort to refute.

"Since Congress may only investigate into those areas in which it may potentially legislate or appropriate, it cannot inquire into matters which are within the exclusive province of one or the other branches of the Government."

But I'm tired of playing along with your childish games on this. The reason you don't supply any backup for your assertion is that , not only do you not have any, there is none available.

Now you can have what's left of this thread all to yourself. The intellectually dishonest debate tactics you are employing here are not my cup of tea.