1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Accelerated BS & BA Programs?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gentlemen & Gentle Ladies:

I have a problem with which I have need of some learned (and unlearned) opinions.

I have both a vested interest in and opposition to what I am about to present.

There is a Bachelor's level program that I know very well. It is one of those "new fangled" accelerated programs. One of those where you bring an Associate degree OR 60+ general studies portable hours with you and you can earn your degree in 16-20 months, one night per week.

Here are some particulars:

1. The classes are only "20 contact hours" or times in lecture, group projects, etc. They are not the 32 or so hours that a semester long M-W-F one hour class each would be. By-the-by, this is about the standard by which SACS requires normally.

2. I have personally taught bio & medical ethics and business communication in this format for a university that I dearly love.

3. My daughter has finished her degree in an "accelerated degree" format and may not have been able to finish in any other format.

4. So, has the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools betrayed their RA standards?

So, you can see how I have a certain level of "mixed emotions" when I look at these programs.

Now, for our discussions:

1. I am sure there are these programs where you live or will be soon.

2. Is this not dangerously close to the "on line" or "unaccredited degree" programs we have ranked on for so long on these threads of the BB?

3. Is this the "dumbing down" of the entire educational system?

4. FTR, (for the record) all of the above is done, has been done by RA schools. And these are good schools who normally have a high degree of rigor and reputation. (I had best for our discussions here not mention any "name brand" schools due to my vested interest?).

I invite and open and frank discussion of many (all) of the issues I have listed and those by implication that I have not thought and listed myself.

What needs to be done?

I will tell you one thing that does not need to be done!!! They don't need to quit asking me to teach in those programs.:laugh:

Let me have it!

sdg!:thumbs:

rd

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see nothing wrong with such programs as long as the quality of the education is not being diminished. I know several universities that allow students to "speed up" their BA/BS programs by holding week to month long modular sessions between semesters and during the summer. I think it is a good idea as long as the quality of education is not hurt.