1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acceptable alternatives for the KJV in other languages?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by mioque, Mar 4, 2004.

1. mioque

mioque New Member

If you are KJVO you believe that the KJV is the only good Bible available in English.

What if you are French, German, Chinese, Spanish or born in Flanders?
    Presumably there is also a one true version a vailable in those languages.
    Any speculation by our resident KJVO's on the identity of some of the foreign KJV equivalents?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a missionary (onlyist) in South America who said that there is a fairly good Spanish Bible translated from the same limited Greek texts (and Latin, I suppose) that Erasmus et al had.

He still was not happy with it and claimed that some were trying to translate the KJV (whatever revision) into Spanish word-for-word. I have not heard any more about that effort. Perhaps as this thread develops and some KJVO's answer, they will shed light on this, too.

Thanks.

3. mioque

mioque New Member

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The problem with that, Dr Bob, as I'm sure you're aware, is that it results from a Spanish translation of an English translation of Greek text that was documenting events in Hebrew and Aramaic. I'm reminded of the kid's game, "telephone". Better to study Greek and Hebrew, that to use an English translation as a translational source, imo.

5. mioque

mioque New Member

What disturbs me is that of the 2 respondents seen up to now, neither of whom would ever be considered a KJV-only type of guy.

6. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you expect otherwise?

As a matter of curiosity, does your Die Heilige Schrif contain the Johannine Comma? Luther didn't think it was authentic, though later versions of the "Luther" Bible included it. Hmm. Apparently, the "attack" on the KJV preceded the KJV.

7. mioque

mioque New Member

"Did you expect otherwise?"
    I hoped otherwise, this lack of responses makes the local KJVO crowd look a bit 'provincial' and some of the more recent additions to that front (Precepts, cdg and Michelle I'm looking at you) had given me the idea that they probably weren't.

The 2 copies of the Luther version of "Die Heilige Schrift" that our churchlibrary owns have been loaned out at the moment, so I can't check just yet.

8. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am pretty sure that those versions of the Luther Bible contain the comma, though the original didn't; later editions did, as does the De Statenvertaling met kanttekeningen.

9. mioque

mioque New Member

"as does the De Statenvertaling met kanttekeningen. "
    Now that' would be a good candidate for the title of acceptable alternative for the KJV in another language. And so is the Luther Bible I guess.

10. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Mine reads
    My literal translation:
    As you can see, mine lacks the comma.

11. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. What's the date on that?

Biblegateway has the 1545 "Luther Bibel" in which the passage is rendered:

"Denn drei sind, die da zeugen im Himmel: der Vater, das Wort und der Heilige Geist; und diese drei sind eins.
    Und drei sind, die da zeugen auf Erden: der Geist und das Wasser und das Blut; und die drei sind beisammen."