1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acceptance of dress

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salamander, Feb 3, 2006.

1. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Benjamin,

I think I see what you are trying to say, but I also think its a bit too broad to assume that its "the suits" that are chasing away the visitors from your church services. Its most likely a "stuffy attitude", which I have also seen in churches. One in which the people tend to be rather condescending, even when they do talk to newcomers.

We've got a very diverse congregation here at my church. The pastor wears a suit and tie even for Wednesday night services.....yes, I know, shocking.....and yet visitors will tell you he's a warm and welcoming person who they want to come back to listen to.

My whole family dresses up for church, and we sit on the front row, for various reasons. Theres a gal who's been coming pretty regular that comes and sits right next to us, and she's wearing jeans and usually a zip-up sweater. She's not dressing down, I think its really all she has. Regardless, we've been friendly with her, talk to her when she comes, we know her name, she initiates conversations with me, too.

Its more about your attitude when you approach people. And wearing a suit is not what turns people off.....its being cold and/or condescending towards people that turns them off.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I agree. This sums up the entire post. It is not wearing a suit or not wearing a suit, wearing casual clothes or not wearing casual clothes...it is about being a warm and friendly person to those who come to our church and welcome them with the love of Christ.