1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Accepting a Pastor position

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Jan 31, 2011.

1. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

These are....the last days.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I am not a pastor but my husband is and I can't see him ever leading a church where he does not agree with the stance of the church and if there was anything big that he did not agree with, he would not even candidate at that church. Fortunately, we pretty much agree with most everything in our church and those few things that we disagree on are very minor things - absolutely nothing like doctrine or anything.

As to the preaching, so far hubby has done more topical to start out the church and it's been excellent. He did "Ordinary People, Extraordinary God", "The God Questions - If you could ask God anything and be guaranteed an answer, what would you ask?" and he just finished up "Maximum Impact" (How can God have a maximum impact in our lives?). Now he has a week off (our youth pastor will preach this week) and then he's now going to be expositorily preaching through Philippians. I love when he preaches through a book (he's done it for college group) so this will be great. So it's looking like he'll do some expository and some topical. For this congregation, it will work well.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

perhaps that is the best explanation although it does not soothe the sorrow of what is taking place.

4. North Carolina Tentmaker

:laugh:

I don't know if you thought of that first or not, but that is funny.

Sorry for your situation freeatlast. A church with 125 in attendance would be considered a very large church here. Probably only one in the county that big. The average attendance in our churches here is 30-40. I currently attend the largest church in my town and our attendance runs 90-100.

Size is nothing however. Sounds like you need to be feeding your soul from some other sources and private study, you sure can't depend on what you describe. Often I have found that within churches, even if the messages might be low on substance but high on emotion you can find a sunday school class or bible study group that is the opposite. From this core group you can then begin to really grow.

5. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

It might be time, to start praying for God to send a “real pastor”, to your area.
    (Unless your already praying that!)

6. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

This details my own position fairly well. As a Reformed Southern Baptist, I took a pastorate in a semi-Pelagian General Baptist church. I could not be a member in my own church without renouncing my SBC ordination, which I was not willing to do. My family was also not allowed to be members in the church we led, but lead I did. I preached without compromising my position in the slightest -- the Bible is the Bible and it directs our theology, not the other way around (as is often suggested here on the board). If the people had issues between their theology and what the Text said, we would discuss those issues during the next Sunday's Sunday school hour (which I taught to the adults).

There were often disagreements, but over a period of 5 years, the knowledge of the church definitely grew, as did the understanding that there were differing theologies that at times compete for attention, and at other times lead one astray from the actual Word of God. Discerning the difference is critical!

I would not like to repeat that experiment, but I readily admit that even taking a like-doctrine church will almost assuredly still require some time spent examining theological and doctrinal issues.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

About that little saying most likely I have heard it from another.. I am not quick enough to come up with words of wit. About other sources I do depend on sources outside of where I attend as do some others around here. One problem is the lack of fellowship within the body where we attend. I am not speaking of simply gathering for events (meals, ministries, meetings) for fellowship because Baptist's main theme, at least in this area, seems to be playing and feasting instead of praying and fasting. I am talking about being surrounded in the body with others who encourage each other in the daily walk through teaching and general conversation.

One of the most difficult things I find is that away from church we are surrounded with the world and its conservations and ways. However when attending a called fellowship at church outside of formal teaching or preaching, the Lord or the things of the Lord never comes up. The conversation is little different then being around those of the world as the conservation is usually about sports, personal activities, and gossip.

There are those here who have been praying that the Lord would send men into the area who are full of the Spirit and knowledge of His word able to lead and willing to teach and preach His word as given, building a body of believers where the church is set up from a biblical standpoint instead what we have now which is deacon run and leadership poor. This is not new as some here have been praying for over 20 years, but we will wait until the Lord sees fit to answer what we have been seeking Him for with the desire it is to Him glory.

#27 freeatlast, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
  8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I understand just what you mean. I've been involved with multiple small congregations, and the fellowship was almost always contrived. We were expected to call each other "brother and sister" and we were supposed to love each other, but once church was over, we had little to do with living out daily life with each other in any meaningful gospel way. Each family was an island unto themselves, and worse, they brought factions into the church based on who was the "in crowd" at the time.

I've also been in medium and large (mega) churches that do have gospel fellowship either, so size is not the sole determining factor. The main issue for me is an understanding of the gospel, which requires community -- but seldom is that aspect taught (or caught). We American Christians have imported more of our national independence into the church than we like to admit (or realize). It is only once one gets involved with a congregation where true gospel community exists that the difference is both seen and experienced. We are blessed to be part of that sort of congregation right now, and it has been an eye-opening experience for this pastor who has already been involved in ministry for 25+ years and who promotes gospel community at every turn.

9. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

If their positions were in line with orthodox Christian belief, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. I actually participated on a staff a number of years ago at a church that baptized both infants and adults. There was a lot of diversity, but it was in a highly collegiate and educated area with a spirit of generosity and openness.

And there was nothing heretical, just disagreements among orthodox evangelicals.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are there any Baptists here who would serve as a minister in a United Methodist Church?

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not around here. The UMCs are nothing more than UU churches in my area! They pretty much have the same beliefs - the Bible is a nice book but not written by God, there are many ways to heaven, not just through Jesus - things like that.

12. MojoTurbo

MojoTurbo New Member

I recently almost accepted a call where I would compromise my personal beliefs... but it's not a bad thing at all.

The church is filled with disciples... and for the most part the pastor acts as a teacher/shepherd (although they are also a disciple/learner) so the question becomes...

Would you accept a student who had different beliefs than you? Of course. All students have different beliefs than you. What if your student believed in sprinkle baptism, but you strongly believed in submersion - would you not agree to teach them? On the contrary - YOU WOULD accept them as a learner ALL THE MORE. Who wants to teach people who believe everything that you do?

The bottom like is, will people who get "sprinkled" still get into heaven? Of course, so use this compromise as a learning point.

There are no perfect churches
    There are no perfect pastors
    If the church knows ME and my faith - and I know theirs and they still agree to call ME - then God's will is moving and his kingdom is advancing.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, the difference is that a teacher is not a spiritual shepherd responsible for the souls that sit in the seats in front of them. They are two very different positions. No, the congregation does not need to believe everything that the pastor teaches but if it's serious doctrine, then there would be an issue, IMO.

14. MojoTurbo

MojoTurbo New Member

...like snake handling?

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

If we did snake handling, *I* would be gone!!

16. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

It is not if we "would" but if we "could." UMC bishops appoint ministers to their churches -- neither the minister nor the congregation has much choice in the matter, except that the congregation can make a lot of noise to the bishop and he (or she) may send someone else who is worse.

I have some considerable experience with the UMC, having been a member at one time, and having an entire family who are currently members.

Oh, and for the most part (depending on individual pastors who may have variances of theology -- there IS a conservative movement within the UMC) the UMC that I've been around are as annsni states. I've known one truly Evangelical UMC pastor of the last 30+ years of involvement in ministerial gatherings and churches with which I am familiar, and as soon as he started pressing the true gospel and a solid view of Scripture, he was moved off the field. It was a blast to mentor him in the Scriptures and scripturally-grounded theology for several years.

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

[SIZE=+0]Compromise;
    "To compromise is to make a deal where one or more persons surrenders part of their belief, wants, or demands to come to terms."
    Truth has no compromise! That is not to suggest that to hold to truth one seeks to force it on another, but it does mean that they never turn from proclaiming truth and seeking the other to come to that teaching even in the presence of the most vigilant opposition. It also means that they do not proclaim truth and practice what is error to what they preach. It also means that truth is not withheld as that too is compromise. Compromise is equal to denial and perhaps in many cases worse. It is like cussing and telling your children not to cuss. Or believing stealing is wrong, but keeping the excess change mistakenly given at the store. Compromise comes in many forms and with many justifications, but in the end it is always sin when dealing with God's truth. Compromise is falsehood with another name, and spawns hypocrites. There is no doubt that a many a men have become twice the son's of hell because of compromise, both theirs and because of another's.

[/SIZE]

#37 freeatlast, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
  18. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Anyone who accepts the position to teach is a spiritual shepherd and is responsible for the souls and understanding of those who they shepherd. it does not require the person to be a pastor. This is why we are warned that not many are to become teachers as their judgment is greater.

19. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

For the man of God it does not take major doctrinal error before they say no. The true man of God will stand on or against any issue that God stands on or against less they be a compromiser turning from the God of truth that they claim to serve.

20. North Carolina Tentmaker

I am afraid now that you may be carrying this too far Freeatlast. There are minor doctrines where compromise is possible. There are differences of opinion on what the Word of God says on many subjects. Are you calling all of those who disagree with you wrong? My doctrinal stands are all based on God’s word and I believe I am correct, but I am far from perfect and many of my doctrinal beliefs have changed over the years as I studied God’s word and grew in understanding. Are you sure you know how God stands on every issue? I'm sure not, and I believe now that I have been wrong on issues in the past.

Jerome, and Annsni, I am preaching at a UMC church this week. No I would not serve as a minister there, for several reasons, but I will fill a pulpit at a church I don’t agree with fully. I have met quite a few truly conservative evangelical Methodist pastors over the years. Some were UMC, some were independent congregational Methodists and some were African Methodist Episcopal. I know one UMC pastor who when he was going to be moved by the bishop told him that the church was going to pull out of the UMC denomination and go Congregational if he got moved. He is still right there as pastor.

Free at last, I disagree with the UMC on many things, we can pick baptism in particular. Yet I am still willing to preach there. Does that make me a compromiser in your book? I will not be preaching on baptism by immersion on Sunday. I would not deliberately bring up a doctrine I knew we disagreed on when we agree on so many. I have preached at freewill Baptist churches over the years. I believe in Eternal Security and would not serve as a pastor of a Freewill Baptist Church, but I would not hesitate to preach a revival for one. If challenged directly I would debate and defend my beliefs, but I would not go looking for a fight. Would you Freeatlast?