1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Accepting a Pastor position

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Jan 31, 2011.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

[SIZE=+0]A compromiser is one who compromises. This is not about personal likes. For instance I do not lay anything on top of my bible nor do I lay my bible on the floor. That is a personal thing I do to show respect to the word of God. It means nothing in regards to the word of God so I would never teach that to anyone whether they agree or disagree. It is just a personal preference and it is not compromising to not teach my personal preferences.

However I believe that women are not permitted to teach or exercise authority over a man because of scripture. There are those who believe differently and say that they base their belief on scripture. If I were teaching on the matter I would not soft sell it because of those who it might offend. That would be compromise. Nor would I seek to not teach on the subject because it might offend if that was the subject matter. That would be compromise.

So any belief that we hold because we feel it is biblical and we do not teach on it because there are those who might be offended it is compromise.

If I am asked to teach I do not base my message on personal preference or to just fill the time slot. I do it through prayer and bible study. All that matters to me is what the bible teaches not what I want or someone else believes. If I am asked to speak on a topic I do not even consider if what I am going to say will offend those with opposite views because of content, other wise I would be a compromiser. While I do not seek to offend I know offences will come because of the word.

I know of no minor doctrines in the bible that are expendable or subject to compromise. If I am unsure of a subject (biblical doctrine) I will not speak on it less I corrupt the truth. I have no problem giving my opinion in areas that are not clear (for instance where did the different races come from). In such cases I will give several different views posed by scholars if I feel that the view is possible. If I have a different view I will also state it and why so those listening can decide for themselves.

So to your question who is a compromiser? It is anyone who softens, changes, or withholds what they believe to be truth, because it may upset another, when put into the position to give that truth.
    [/SIZE]

#41 freeatlast, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
  2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wasn't referring to Presbyterian, but presbyterial (elders).

That's the term Elder Nichols of Grand Rapids Reformed Baptist Church uses in his "Doctrinal Distinctives of the 1689 Confession" teaching.

He claims that the 1689 Confession calls for presbyterial government instead of congregationalism, which he calls an "error"!

Would a pastor committed to installing a presbyterial scheme work well in a church that follows biblical congregationalism?

3. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

That is kind of interesting because I studied under one of their former pastors who believes in both congregationalism and Elders. I am not doubting he said it, though.

I mentioned MacArthur's move to his form of eldership (about as low congregational as probably possible). I suspect that was a success. Dever's use of congregationalism is, in my opinion, weak on congregationalism. I also tend to be weak on congregational authority on minor issues but I do believe there are Biblical areas of congregation input (set apart elders, the final step in church discipline).

#43 Ruiz, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2011
  4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Where in the Bible does it speak of the congregation setting apart elders?

5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a Real Shame!

I have resigned from few churches for the very reason mentioned in the OP.

I have not, and will not compromise the Gospel message I have been called to preach.

When a church hires a preacher, they are hiring a shepherd to lead them, and it''s not up to the sheep to dictate to the shepherd where it is that they want to go.

2 Timothy 2:2-4 tells of a day when people will dictate the direction of the message, fire those preachers who step on their toes, and get some one who "tickles their fancies, ears, and preaches a feel good Gospel.

Can we say Joel Osteen? The Crystal Cathedral? TBN? Jim Bakker? And the list goes on.

I had members of the church come to me and tell me if I preached that topic again, they'd leave. So, I'd get out the phone book, open up to the church section in the yellow pages, and ask them I could help recommend a good church.

When it comes to the Gospel, the congregation needs to trust the Father to be inspiring their pastor. If they don't like where he's goig, doctrinally speaking, they can either fire him, leave the church, or, learn and grow.

It is not their job to offer compromising suggestions when it comes to the messages.

As a pastor I've heard every complaint. You preach to loud. You are too soft spoken. You need to where suit and tie. You move around too much, please stand still, right behind the pulpit. You are not animated enough. You are too animated. You are preaching too long. You need to use our favorite hymns more. You need to have us say the Lord's prayer after your opening prayer. You don't preach enough "salvation" messages! You need to stop pushing the need to grow and make changes. You don't preach enough on giving.

Some of those things are things we can work out compromises on. But, when it comes to the Gospel, it is up to the preacher to hear from God, and share that message, regardless of how many "good givers" get mad and leave!

This is my opinion, and certainly not wrong if you feel differently. It is just my belief, and if I lead people astray, their blood is on my hands. Thus, I am prayerfully tuned into the leading of the Spirit when it comes to presenting the Gospel.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :type:

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Here's the rest of the line: "....so they can go out and et."

7. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

The way that I have always heard it, was.........

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

“Sermonettes for christianettes, who smoke cigarettes.”

That's a new version to me, stilllearning.

Any other variations out there?

9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

This is happening all over the place these days -- as people explore the Scriptures and discover that the two offices of the church are elder and deacon, and more so, that there are always a plurality of elders. There is still a pastor, but the pastor is one of the elders with varying levels of responsibility depending on spiritual gifts, talents, passions, and experience.

The one form of church government that is not particularly biblical is the majority model of many Baptist churches, with a single pastor and a deacon board who rules both the church and the pastor. Nor are there examples of congregational voting in day-to-day operations of the church found in Scripture, but that is somewhat a wash, for none of the big 3 forms of church government are found in Scripture. All are somewhat pragmatic based on the need for the church to govern herself in some form or the other. Rudiments of all 3 polities are found in Scripture, but not the full-blown governmental systems that we now see in place in Episcopal, Presbyterian, or Congregational church governments.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, church oligarchy schemes are unbiblical, whether they consist of a pastor and deacons or your "plurality of elders".

11. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

Zenas,

I used the set-apart language which I believe is implied in the appointing process. They are set apart from the congregation as Elders of said congregation. I use it in a similar manner as when Paul and Barnabas were set apart.