1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ACLU Awarded $1 in Jesus Picture Case

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Apr 22, 2008.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ACLU Claims Victory But Jesus Pix Still Hangs in Courthouse

By Penny Starr
    CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
    April 22, 2008

(CNSNews.com) - U.S. District Judge Ivan Lemelle sided with the American Civil Liberties Union, ruling that a painting of Jesus that hangs in the courthouse in Slidell, La., is unconstitutional.

But some experts say the case is unique, because the picture is still on display, joined now by more than a dozen other images of historic lawmaking figures, and there are no plans to remove the image.

SNIP

The ACLU said plaintiff "John Doe" and others "have suffered, or shall suffer, damages, including mental anguish and emotional distress" from viewing the image.

Laycock advised Lamz that he didn't think the ACLU had an open-and-shut case.
    "It's a prediction of how the courts will rule," Laycock said. "The courts don't see this issue as clear cut."

The ruling is significant because of the $1 in damages awarded to the ACLU, Laycock said. "The judge wasn't persuaded by that 'trauma' if he only awarded a dollar," he said.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

No doubt one could argue this $1 damage award was exactly 50 times what the damages were worth - 2 cents!

Ed

3. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

"Mental anguish and emotional distress." It sounds to me like they were convicted of their sin by seeing a picture depicting a sinless Person.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

However the picture IS unconstitutional. And surrounding Christ by other pictures only makes him one of many others, placing them equal to him. Hardly a victory. Besides, we don't really have any pictures of him to begin with.

5. holas84

holas84 New Member

Name for me one phrase in the constitution that makes it unconstitutional?

6. holas84

holas84 New Member

I think that you are right on the money! Right on the $1 worth of money! LOL

7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then this whole thing about a picture of Jesus is completely bogus.

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Noticed that too, hunh??

Ed

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The most significant thing about this whole event is that the ACLU did not get their unneccessary fees and costs.

10. Magnetic Poles

It should be, but it was meant to represent Jesus, therefore it has the same effect. I am amazed that people venerate artist's depictions of the Christ.

11. Magnetic Poles

Numerous court cases have held that if a school promotes religion in such manner as pictures, teacher-led prayer, prayer at football games, bible readings, etc. are a violation of the establishment clause of the First Amendment.

So are you fine with it, if a school displays a picture of, oh say Buddha or Mohammad.

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As for myself, I would not have a problem if pictures of those historical/religious figures are displayed in schools.

But, MP you still have not answed the most important question:
    Code:
    Originally Posted by [B]holas84[/B]
    [I]Name for me one phrase in the constitution that makes it unconstitutional? [/I]

Please, give us the Article and section #:thumbs:
    Salty

13. holas84

holas84 New Member

You are right. Liberal judges for about the last thirty five years have ruled in that direction. But all of the judges during the time of the founders have always ruled in favor of the freedom of religious expression in the public arena. In fact, did you know that in 1892 the Supreme Court of the United States ruled in favor of a church solely on the basis that this is a 'Christian Nation.' Nobody was upset about it and everyone accepted it.

The same congress that authorized the constitution authorized tax-dollar money for the printing of Bibles for those who couldn't afford them. Hmmmm.

About other religions in schools. I read a report recently about a Social Studies teacher who spends about three weeks in school talking about Islam. In fact, he culminates his studies by having the children dress up and pretend that they are Muslim for a day. Hmmmm.

14. Magnetic Poles

Can you cite the cases? Otherwise these are anecdotal. I suspect the source of your info is David Barton. Also, the Treaty of Tripoli explicitly states that the US is "in no way" based upon Christianity. God is not mentioned at all in the Constitution. We are a secular republic, not a Christian nation.

Salty, read the post right above your post...I answered it there. But for your benefit, again, the courts have ruled that school displays promoting religion violate the establishment clause.

15. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

I say all religious systems should be a High school course of study. If Paul can go into a city that is wholly given to idolatry and establish a Church that thrives, it stands to reason that the Christian Gospel will again flourish among the youth of our nation. I for one am not afraid to put Christ up against Buddha and Mohammad and whatever else is devised by man.

Christ's teachings coupled with the letters of Paul with the OT.
    Buddha who abandoned his wife and family to seek "enlightenment?"
    Mohammad who was a thief and a pedophile?

What's there to be afraid of. The Gospel of Christ will overcome them all. I say let's do this thing. :thumbs: Even the Atheist could have his day, which he has had for the past 40 years. It is time to do this. So, lets get er done!

16. Magnetic Poles

I am all for non-proselytizing classes in philosophy and comparative religion. I am strongly against public schools promoting one religion over another...these schools belong to everyone.

17. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

As am I. None that I have see are any where close to what the Bible describes Him. So comely that none should want to look upon Him and a man acquainted with sorrow.

18. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

No one religion would be promoted as superior than the other. Just lay them out as they are. Side by side. This thing needs to be done. This secular stuff is giving them the doctrine of the survival of the fittest and our urban youth are resorting to violence. It's not just the urban youth either. Violence in these schools are very high in rural areas as well.

Lay them out and let the Spirit work.

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It didn't "overcome them all." Consider the 7 churches of Revelation in Asia [Turkey]. Are they still there, or did they expand only to be taken over by Islam?

20. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you did not. I'm not asking how the Supreme Court ruled, I'm asking for chapter and verse in the Constitution where there is seperation of church and state. That theory does not exist!