1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

acredited vs non acredited

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Blood Bought 7, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Blood Bought 7

Blood Bought 7 New Member

forgive me if this question has already been exhausted on this forum... I'm somewhat new to it. I was wondering why it would cost me $13500 per year to go to a college like maranatha when it only costs about $6880 per year to go to a college like hyles anderson?

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

well there are a couple of things to consider.

1. depending on your particular brand of theological disposition, accreditation is actually the mark of the beast ;)

2. also accreditation standards are important if you plan on doing any graduate work, even if that graduate work is at a seminary. Most all decent seminaries are accredited and will only accept credits from likewise undergrad institutions

3. accreditation standards, imho and the US Government's ho, are for the protection of the students so they get the best degree for their buck. It helps ensure teacher/professor competency (well for the most part) and the fiscal/financial dealings of a school as well.

4. If you want to save a lot of money go to state school or something and get your degree from there

anyhoo...that's my $.02...keep the change

3. Nord

Nord New Member

Accreditation can be an expensive process and having it allows you to charge more. Does it mean that an accredited school is better academically, not necessarily. Certainly there are unaccredited schools like Pensacola Christian College (possibly Hyles Anderson) that are far superior to many Regionally accredited schools like University of Pheonix, etc.

However, accreditation (RA, National) means some sort of quality control. Your average person is not going to know the difference between an ACI "accredited school" (er...um...) and a quality unaccredited school/Regionally or Nationally Accredited school. Some mills therefore get away with convincing people they are genuine.

Also, an accredited degree has far more utlity in the job market. RA is your most versatile period. Nationally accredited schools (ATS, TRACS, AABC, DETC) are legitmately accredited schools and are also going to have some utility. For example, military, many government jobs etc. However if you have an ATS, TRACS, DETC only Masters in Counseling you will most likely not be able to sit for state Licensed Professional Counselor exams. It is complicated....if you have an RA only PhD in Psychology you may be able to sit for the Psychology exam but without APA professional accreditation you will have more limted job opportunites.

Lastly, never go with a mill. Only you can tell if a quality unaccredited program will meet your needs. Be sure though because spending 6000 then disocvering you are wrong and having to spend another 13,000 makes it time consuming and expensive.

Bear and others have noted that it is almost never reasonable to get an unaccredited undergraduate degree, sometimes okay for a Masters and sometimes a doctorate (realizing less utility). If you want an affordable evangelical undergrad degree then try South Africa Theological Seminary. They are user friendly, very affordable (very), and foreign equivalent of accredited by a well respected (South Africa)education system. This will leave you many avenues for graduate study. Caner at Liberty has a University of South Africa doctorate as does Dorothy Patterson and numbers of other faculty. They are researched based doctorates (British model). I know of a guy who got an equivalent of accredited doctorate from a South African University. It took him three years of research/dissertation writing, cost less than 2000 US Dollars and today he is faculty at an accredited US seminary.

To sum up there are many accredited (foreign and US) affordable & accredited schools. Don't sell yourself short. Be careful. South Africa, England, Australia are good places to earn affrodable distance learning degrees (affordable esp AUS & SA). Stay away from schools accredited by small bankrupt nations, strange islands, etc. Watch out for US schools claiming "non governmental accreditation".

Good luck!

Nord

4. Blood Bought 7

Blood Bought 7 New Member

okay, thank you, this has been very informative.

5. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Check out this link with an article (Fall of 1991) about Westminster Theological Seminary and Bernard Baruch College losing their accreditation...

http://www.mugu.com/cgi-bin/Upstream/munro-accreditation

6. Nord

Nord New Member

Larry,

I think BJU used to quote some of these issues in a pamphlet that they had explaining their "No accreditation" stance. Of course they have since decided it can be done through TRACS without compromise. I wonder whether PCC will follow the path.

As I say the problem is not that there are not high quality unaccredited programs such as PCC, BJU and maybe others. These schools may exceed Regional Accreditation quality of some schools such as U of Pheonix. The problem is how does one know? In some cases it is measurable. In California some state approved schools (unaccredited) can sit for Psychology and law exams. If they pass they can practice law or Psychology in California. There is a case where one can know.

It is an intersting issue.

Nord

7. larryjf

larryjf New Member

I would have to say in my experience that religious schools are held in esteem or in derision based on reputation.

Even if a school is regionally accredited, if they are known for liberal theology they will most likely be held in derision from the more conservative denominations.

Generally the different denominations prefer people who come from their particular brand of seminary.

8. Nord

Nord New Member

In some cases you are right Larry. I know a Southern Baptist Chaplian with a doctorate in patristics who used to say that he thought the Assembly of God Theological Seminary (accredited) was a mill.

I cannot count the times I have seen people react with disgust or say that the Regionally accredited University of Pheonix is not accredited (it is). However, it is a perception issue. We have a state university in a small town and people joke that the teachers that get their Masters degrees get them as they drive through and stop at stop lights. Again, a perception issue. This is why unaccredited BJU did so well. It had an almost universal perception (even among secular folks) of quality.

Perception issue is where some schools made a mistake. There are a couple of reasonable unaccredited schools I could name that at one time went with ACI accreditation and dropped it after learning their mistake. ACI for some is perceived...well...um....look at Bears Guide or do a search.

Not sure where I stand on the issue. I have three degrees all accredited. Yet, I can see the comprmise issue and why to stay away form Regional Accreditation. Yet there has to be some quality controls, so go with National Accreditation. Yet the reality is that ATS, TRACS, DETC all have limitations though legitmately recognized accrediting agencies in terms of licensure in certain occupations. Yet, I almost feel as if schools like LRS that are accredited by religious accreditors and then go for Regional accreditation are almost selling out to the culture for convenience and ease of getting along, making money, etc (I like LRS so I am not tying to be harsh with them as I am sure they are well intentioned).

Nord

9. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Nord,

I hear what you are saying. You have some really good points.

It definitely is an interesting issue. And perhaps more so with the religious community.