1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acting and God's glory:

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by amazinglove92, Jan 14, 2005.

1. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

To answer John's question: No, it's not sinning. The word spoken is merely several phonetic sounds strung together. The words are not spoken from the heart.

In the same way, it's entirely possible that a Christian actor could portray certain "sins" and remain clean, especially if there is a sound reason to do so.

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

So apparently if you 'pretend' to sin it doesn't really count as a sin.
    I'm not sure I've seen that in the bible.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if you pretend to do a good deed, does that "count" as a good deed? As the Bible indicates it does not, then why wouldn't the inverse be true?

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Let your yea be yea and your nay be nay.
    I know this is speaking of swearing an oath but the principle is still the same. A Christian should always be speaking truth.
    He should never pretend to be something or someone he is not. That is just plain hypocrisy.
    But then some will say, "What about passion plays?"
    A Christian should never pretend to be what he is not."
    What about...?
    A Christian should never pretend to be what he is not.
    This is such an obvious truth from Scripture, I really am AMAZED that professing Christians would even be discussing whether or not it is wrong!
    In HIS service;
    Jim

5. yabba

yabba New Member

"A Christian should never pretend to be what he is not"

I agree with that if you are talking about real life. If a person is an actor by profession then by acting he is doing what he does. I know that, you know that, anybody with half common sense knows that. If one cannot separate reality from unreality then the problem lies with that person not the actor.

To qualify that, the Christian actor should rely on God for guidance on what parts to and not to play. They have convictions just as any of us do.

6. donnA

donnA Active Member

Isn't your job real life?
    Are you not in reality when you are at work?
    Prehaps your paycheck should be pretend in unreality then.
    In the news forum theres a discussion on legalised prostution. As long as it is their job, and they are only 'pretending', and it isn't their real life.
    yes, it makes sense with the arguments here on this thread.

7. yabba

yabba New Member

Wow...the key comment in my post is common sense. I firmly believe God gave us that to use it.

8. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

No yabba, I am not talking about "real life" only. I am talking about "In everything you do, do all to the glory of God".
    I really fail to understand how one could be a professing christian and make a living off pretending to be someone they are not. That is "filthy lucre" in my opinion.
    I can see it now.
    "But Jesus, Lord! I was just making a living!"
    "I see that my child. Was there NOTHING else you could do?"
    "Um...well...yes. But! I was really GOOD at it."
    "I see that my child. But didn't I tell you that "He that taketh not his cross and followeth after ME, is not worthy of ME?"
    "Um..yes..um..but..um...ah..."
    In HIS service;
    Jim
    [​IMG] :rolleyes:

9. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Yabba;
    Then why aren't you using it?
    [​IMG]
    In HIS service;
    Jim

Common sense that is.

10. yabba

yabba New Member

I guess that says it all...it's your opinion.

There is a reason I said that about letting God guide you in what parts to take or not take, and never go against your convictions. If you think the acting profession cannot be performed to God's glory then that's your beliefs and personal convictions. I personally believe acting can be done to the glory of God...as can most any job. If an occupation is blantantly prohibited in Sripture(ie prostitution, etc) then it's another ball game all together.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

If acting can be done to the glory of God, then how can cursing and near or partial nudity be done to God's glory? How can an actor who has line saying bad things about chritianity,or God, Jesus be glorifing God?

The arguement has been made here that if it is a paying job, and the christian is just earning a living it is ok, or you can earn money if it isn't real to you.

12. yabba

yabba New Member

You two are like arguing with children. You pick and choose what you want to combat and ignore all else. This is niether productive or helpful due to this stubbornness. Continue on if you like, I have said my piece. God Bless!

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Just one question and the answer reveals your position.

Just how is an actor different from a hypocrite?

As far as I can see, the ONLY difference is PAY.

The one pretends to be what he is not for recognition in a church.

The other pretends to be what he is not for PAY.

In effect, they are BOTH lying.

How is that a "christian" profession?

In HIS service;
    Jim

14. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I haven't read all this thread but it seems to me Jim just put himself in a bad spot. He blasts acting as pretending and hypocrotical while presenting an argument in the first person that he does not agree with. How are the last five lines of his post not acting like someone he is not?

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Ya got me larry.
    Perhaps I should retract that hypothetical situtation, huh?

In HIS service;
    Jim

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LIttle Jimmy must be against sports, then. A quarterback pretends he is going to handoff to the halfback on a play-action pass. A pitcher pretends he is going to throw a fastball, then tosses a changeup.

LIttle Jimmy must be against wearing camouflage for any reason. The purpose of camouflage is to pretend you are not there among the shrubbery to delay detection by the enemy or the prey.

Little Jimmy must believe the Bible is in error in including Rahab in the 'Honor Roll of Faith' in the book of Hebrews. She hid and lied about the Israelite spies. The act of spying is misrepresenting yourself or trying to blend in with people you are not, and in this case people you want to destroy.

17. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

LIttle Jimmy must be against sports, then. A quarterback pretends he is going to handoff to the halfback on a play-action pass. A pitcher pretends he is going to throw a fastball, then tosses a changeup.

LIttle Jimmy must be against wearing camouflage for any reason. The purpose of camouflage is to pretend you are not there among the shrubbery to delay detection by the enemy or the prey.

Little Jimmy must believe the Bible is in error in including Rahab in the 'Honor Roll of Faith' in the book of Hebrews. She hid and lied about the Israelite spies. The act of spying is misrepresenting yourself or trying to blend in with people you are not, and in this case people you want to destroy.
    </font>[/QUOTE]__________________________________________________

'Little Jimmy" indeed.

Does your snide remark help this discussion in any way whatsoever?

I trow not.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

In HIS service;
    Jim

18. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Alcott. I notice that you offered absolutely no Scripture for your rebuttal. If you call THAT a rebuttal.

[​IMG]
    In HIS service;
    Jim

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you suppose to train youth when you cannot discern the most elementary things?

Your appraisal of words reflect thinking unburdened by even the most elementary of Scriptures. Christ was clear. We will give account for every idle word, not merely words spoken with good or evil intent.

So, go ahead, amazinglove92, and make your sexual innuendo. On stage or not, it makes no difference. Just understand you will give account for it on the day of judgment, whether it was good or evil.

20. yabba

yabba New Member

I was not going to post another comment but something hit me when I was preparing a lesson. How many of you who teach or preach have ever used a quote of someone who was bashing Christianity, proclaiming another religion, exhorting evolution over creation, etc. to make a point? Is that different in your eyes? You are repeating another persons words but they are coming out of your mouth. Is it a sin even though they don't come from your heart? Do they not fall under "idle words"?

My point is when someone is acting or quoting someone, any logical and rational person knows that those words are not their own(I would argue that God is logical and rational but that's another topic), no that does not give them free reign but I've already covered that.
    Have fun...
    yab