1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acts 1:6-7...?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by TCGreek, Oct 2, 2007.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Can I read these verses faithfully and not come up with a literal, earthly Millennial Kingdom for ethnic Israel?

2. What is really taking place here? Were the eschatological views of Jesus and the apostles different? Or were they the same, but the timing was the only difference?

2. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

IMO this one verse is a greater defense of a future Jewsih Kingdom than the volumes of books written by premil/dispies.

However, the verse does not necessarily imply that an earthly, future kingdom WILL be restored to Israel. That would be an eisegetical interpretation. Jesus' reaction to that aspect was a non-answer.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Actually, it is eisegetical to assume it doesn't.

Up till now Jesus has been revealing the scriptures to them concerning Himself, after His resurrection to His disciples.

Here we find they are asking a 'specific' question regarding Jesus restoring again 'The Kingdom of Israel' - AT THIS TIME.

They were expecting Jesus to restore the Kingdom of Israel, thus the usage of 'restore' and 'again' both mean that at one time it was already something established in the past and to be RE-established in the future. It is also noted in their questioning that there IS A TIME in which this WILL be done, thus they wondered if He was going to fulfill it NOW. The Jews looked and were looking for this promise to be fulfilled (toward the Nation), and the Apostles believed it as well, thus their question regarding that Nation and it's Kingdom being established AGAIN, but by Christ it's eternal God-King.

Jesus does not ignore the question or as you put it give a "non-answer'.
    He specifically answered the question concerning 'the time' of restoration (they asked if it will be now). Notice if you will that Jesus declares in answer to their question The time is not for you to know (it isn't your business) which the Father has put in (under) His own power.

What did God put in His power?
    Answer: the 'time' of restoration of the Kingdom of Israel.
    The time was not to be their concern but Gods in accordance with His power (to bring it about at His appointed time due to His pleasure - thus 'power'). But they (like we) are to focus on the power which is given to us to fulfill their (and ours) commisioning as do that which is with in our given power, just as God will do all things with in His power, yet both corrispond to His appointed time.

Our time in relation to the 'power' given us - Now.
    His time in relation to His own Power - when He does it.

#3 Allan, Oct 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2007
  4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

It is my belief that we ought to go against the Scriptures here but follow their leading. If we approach this passagage with eschatological questions regarding the 1000 years or whatever, we should take the very same exhortation:

"it is not for you to know the times or the seasons"

and take the exhortation that

"ye shall be witnesses unto me"

RB

5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you Allen for sharpening my thinking on this.

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

I'm not good at much, but if it helped in any way (toward my view, or establishing better yours) then you are welcome.