1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acts 2:38

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Olivencia, Mar 30, 2009.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Or, you have reinterpreted the text in light of your own interpretations.

2. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

But that's the point Oliv, you claim your interpretation is the right one, yet in light of others who have interpretated the text you stand alone...over hundreds of years. Do you think your the first one to discover the truth? Are you the only one whom the Holy Spirit teaches? I am sure you don't believe that...

--> I can't believe you would write this. I stand alone? I just referred to:
    1. Frederick Danker
    2. Joseph Henry Thayer
    3. TDNT
    4. NIDNTT

I'm not sure how I can stand alone when these 4 Greek lexicons all agree with what I am asserting about Acts 2:38.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

This is the issue with false teaching and false teachers. And if we stand up to make ourselves a teacher or reformer of Christianity, we ought to proceed with great fear if we do so contrary to 2000 years of true Christian commentary. Those who spurn such commentary may indeed be showing themselves schismatics in the true sense. I don't say this to accuse you, but to warn you.

--> I have at least 4 Greek lexicons that agree with me.

--> In terms of Ephesians 4:5 I have already addressed this in the other section of this forum.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=58572

I'm finished with the discussion here. You keep saying I am all alone but I have cited more than just a couple of Greek lexicons that agree with my position. It doesn't make sense. If you want to challenge my assertions in my other thread that is fine.

Thank you

Olivencia

3. ReformedBaptist

lol. Ok buddy.

4. Beth

Beth New Member

Wow!

I miss a few weeks of reading in the forums, and :tonofbricks: there it is...another new doctrine, LOLOL!

I honestly never heard of this one before...that Jews have to be saved in any way differently from gentiles! Think of the logistics of this...my husband's grandmother MIGHT have been Jewish..from Poland...we aren't sure about this...so, what does this mean for my husband? If he is one eighth Jewish, is he saved differently from me, who am completely gentile? My children? WOW! Gotta love public forums...you get to hear it all! :laugh:

5. ReformedBaptist

If he is part Jewish, then he only needs to be sprinkled instead of fully immersed. So saith me. HAHHA

RB

6. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I miss a few weeks of reading in the forums, and there it is...another new doctrine, LOLOL!

I honestly never heard of this one before...that Jews have to be saved in any way differently from gentiles! Think of the logistics of this...my husband's grandmother MIGHT have been Jewish..from Poland...we aren't sure about this...so, what does this mean for my husband? If he is one eighth Jewish, is he saved differently from me, who am completely gentile? My children? WOW! Gotta love public forums...you get to hear it all!
    --------------------------------------------------------

--> Had you even bothered to read (that is with a sense of understanding) what I wrote you wouldn't have jumped to such erroneous (and ridiculous) assertions. It only applied to the Jews of that time period. In fact, this was written in the very first sentence of my very first post in this discussion. Incredible!
    New doctrine? I cited numerous Greek lexicons. You and another just cite...yourselves. In other words an "opinion". That might be OK trying to decide what ice-cream flavor is the best but in terms of biblical theology it is frightening. :thumbs:

#46 Olivencia, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  7. ReformedBaptist

Well, we can't be as smart as you. :BangHead: So you go on with your new doctrines and we will stick with our old ones.

8. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

Smart?
    Let's see. Two non-native English speakers get into a debate about a meaning of an English word. The first person pretty much just gives their opinion but the other person cites credible sources like Webster's, Oxford's etc. It doesn't take a Ph.D to figure out which side I am going to believe.
    So you can go on with your opinions and I'll stick with the real meanings of the Greek words involved. :laugh:

9. ReformedBaptist

Your making assumptions here Olive that aren't justified. But nevertheless the Scripture teaches me not wrangle about words to no profit.

10. Beth

Beth New Member

Still doesn't wash

Sorry, but it just doesn't hold up with Scripture.

Beth

11. Olivencia

Olivencia New Member

Your making assumptions here Olive that aren't justified. But nevertheless the Scripture teaches me not wrangle about words to no profit.

--> Another misinterpreted text on your part.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry, but it just doesn't hold up with Scripture.

--> No, it doesn't hold up to your interpretation of Scripture.