1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acts 20:7 reconsidered

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:

I still have a grain of hope left in my own heart for the Seventh-day Adventist Church, ONLY they still and despite anything against, keep to "the day The Seventh Day Sabbath of the LORD GOD", so that I think I could quote the whole statement and say, "the day The Seventh Day Sabbath of the LORD __your__ GOD", despite they still and despite anything against thrown at them, keep to the Seventh Day Sabbath though only because of "the Law, the Law".

I therefore am able to against all odds hope and even believe the Seventh-day Adventist Church will eventually come to realise the Gospel-reason of Jesus' Resurrection on it for the Sabbath's remembrance and feasting.

Untrue: "The disciples gathered / came together / were together on the First Day ..." because it's not the truth, the whole truth and only the truth.

The truth, the whole truth and only the truth in Acts 20:7 is,
    "... Troas where we stayed for seven days. Then on the First Day of the week having been together still after the before of us coming together for to Break Bread, Paul discussed matters with them they [all] being ready to depart the next morning.”

“On the First Day STILL being together after BEFORE having been assembling together for to eat the Lord’s Supper …” implies they kept or had Holy Communion on the day before “on the First Day” which had been the Sabbath Day

WG:

>>Here is the way it reads literally, "Now on the first [day] of the week, the *disciples having assembled to break bread, Paul, being about to depart on the morrow, spoke to them and extended the message until midnight."<<

GE:

Again, the truth is the truth ONLY when the truth, the WHOLE truth and ONLY the truth. The Greek Perfect Participle!

Therefore, here is the way Acts 20:7 'sunehgmenohn hehmohn', REALLY reads literally,

"Now on the first [day] of the week, the disciples' [or, 'the of us] __STILL__ having been assembly-ing ..." with the inevitable incontestable inescapable IMPLICATION of "the disciples' [or, 'the of us] __BEFORE__ to Break Bread having been assembly-ing, Paul spoke to them and extended the message until midnight he [as everyone else] being about to depart in the morning."

In a word,

1) the Perfect Participle adjectively describes "us" or "the disciples", "on the First Day of the week" : as "STILL BEING ASSEMBLING";

2) the Perfect Participle adverbially describes Paul's action of "discussed matters" circumstantially: "on the First Day of the week us STILL BEING ASSEMBLING, Paul discussed";

3) the Perfect Participle in conjunction with the Infinitive of Noun-force, forces / necessitates / demands, the Perfect finished CAUSATIVE action that PRECEDED the RESULTANT present circumstance or condition of “the disciples STILL being assembling on the First Day of the week”, namely, that “the disciples / us, BEFORE WERE being assembling FIRST”

… and : “…BEFORE WERE being assembling FIRST for Holy Communion”.