1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acts 5:30

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by robycop3, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, skan, but you are too limiting of the text from Greek or English. Too many here made it through FIFTH grade! [​IMG]

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skan, please try to do a REALITY CHECK once in a while. No matter WHAT you say about the Greek grammar and the meaning of "and", the KJV reading IS somewhat misleading to a new Bible reader or someone not well-acquainted with English. That's REALITY.

According to math & science rules, bumblebees can't fly, either.

3. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

And no matter what you say the word "and" is still primarily understood as a conjunction and the most often use of the word indicates a "joint or simultaneous occurrence." You can claim that is not true all day long but it is still true and any reasonably intelligent 4th grader knows it!

4. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

To say that the English word "and" is not a conjunction and can not indicate a "joint or simultaneous occurrence" is what is too limiting. Anyone with a 5th grade education knows that.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have to remember that some of us were using words like ain't unitl the fourth or fifth frade. Even my parents did for a long time.

6. jane

jane New Member

Original: "the LOGICAL translation would be 'slew BY hanging"
    ------------------------------------------------

God doesn not goofed! NEVER!

Peter told in Acts 5:30 of what they did to Jesus Christ not of the cause of His death nor even How He died..
    JESUS was slew - by them - YES
    and
    JESUS was hanged - by them - YES

it's not connectivity of the word nor the consecutive things happened to Him.. But he is just telling everyone of what they have done to JESUS CHRIST...
    [​IMG]

7. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skanwmatos:And no matter what you say the word "and" is still primarily understood as a conjunction and the most often use of the word indicates a "joint or simultaneous occurrence." You can claim that is not true all day long but it is still true and any reasonably intelligent 4th grader knows it!

Evidently you're too caught up in the rules of grammar to do a reality check. To a casual reader, those events as set forth in that sentence convey a sense of order of events, same as reading, "Barry Bonds swung and missed".

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Original: "the LOGICAL translation would be 'slew BY hanging"
    ------------------------------------------------

Jane:God doesn not goofed! NEVER!

But we're not talking about GOD'S accuracy here- we're talking about 47 very human Anglican Bible translators who sometimes made little booboos same as every other human.

Peter told in Acts 5:30 of what they did to Jesus Christ not of the cause of His death nor even How He died..
    JESUS was slew - by them - YES
    and
    JESUS was hanged - by them - YES

it's not connectivity of the word nor the consecutive things happened to Him.. But he is just telling everyone of what they have done to JESUS CHRIST...

I wrote to Skan just moments ago reminding him about the sense of order of events often conveyed by connecting two r more verbs with "and". Now, which is right..."Barry Bonds missed and swung", or, "Barry Bonds swung and missed"?

I stand by my guns.

9. jane

jane New Member

Yes to a casual reader who have not the Holy Spirit I guess, but because God has tthaught us the Word of God then we'll have the understanding and wisdom to comprehend it..

10. jane

jane New Member

If you'll try to perceive the setting of the event in Acts 5:30, you'll notice that Peter is trying to convey something about what they did to Jesus Christ.. and that's one of the factor in seeing the context don't look on that verse alone but try to comprehend the whole chapter then you'll understand why did Peter told that verse..

11. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

jane, if I were you I would just quit. You will never convince robycop3 that his failure to understand rather simple grammar means everybody will fail to understand it. He has an agenda, and that agenda is to mock, ridicule, and slander the KJV on every occasion regardless of the truth of the matter.

The KJV is certainly not what the KJVOs claim it to be, but neither is it what robycop3 claims it to be. In my opinion they are "birds of a feather." Extremists who should not be taken too seriously. His hatred for KJVOs has so warped his thinking that he is unable to see or admit the truth. His position is as cultic as the most radical of the KJVOs. :(

12. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I have already posted why I disagree with Robycop3's somewhat severe criticism of Acts 5:30, and now I am going to post that I believe that your appraisal of Robycop3 misses the mark much more radically than does Robycop3’s appraisal of Acts 5:30 and the KJV in general. There is no comparison between the deliberate lies and deception (not to mention the insane delusions) of the KJO’s and Robycop3’s truthful and honest, though somewhat severe, criticism of the KJV. There NOTHING "cultic" about Robycop3, but I can NOT say that about the KJO c [edited by me]. I believe that you owe Robycop3 an apology, and I strongly suggest that you post one right here in this thread.

13. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

KJV should not be criticized as should no other "true" translations. By that I mean ones that do there best to translate the Bible accuratly. Its not Christ like to pick fights among ourselves we should be trying to win the lost to Christ and true life. "I am the Truth the Life and the Way". There is room for debate. But logical debate not mindless name calling.

14. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

I am sorry if my choice of words offended you. However, name-calling is not necessarily mindless (that is, unless you believe that Jesus was mindless :rolleyes: :D :D ), and is sometimes appropriate. In Matthew Chapter 23 we find Jesus doing a whole lot of name-calling:

Mat 23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.
    Mat 23:14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
    Mat 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.
    Mat 23:16 Woe unto you, ye blind guides, which say, Whosoever shall swear by the temple, it is nothing; but whosoever shall swear by the gold of the temple, he is a debtor!
    Mat 23:17 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gold, or the temple that sanctifieth the gold?
    Mat 23:18 And, Whosoever shall swear by the altar, it is nothing; but whosoever sweareth by the gift that is upon it, he is guilty.
    Mat 23:19 Ye fools and blind: for whether is greater, the gift, or the altar that sanctifieth the gift?
    Mat 23:20 Whoso therefore shall swear by the altar, sweareth by it, and by all things thereon.
    Mat 23:21 And whoso shall swear by the temple, sweareth by it, and by him that dwelleth therein.
    Mat 23:22 And he that shall swear by heaven, sweareth by the throne of God, and by him that sitteth thereon.
    Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
    Mat 23:24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
    Mat 23:25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
    Mat 23:26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.
    Mat 23:27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men's bones, and of all uncleanness.
    Mat 23:28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but within ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.
    Mat 23:29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,
    Mat 23:30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
    Mat 23:31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.
    Mat 23:32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
    Mat 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
    Mat 23:34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
    Mat 23:35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
    Mat 23:36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
    Mat 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
    Mat 23:38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
    Mat 23:39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jane:Yes to a casual reader who have not the Holy Spirit I guess, but because God has tthaught us the Word of God then we'll have the understanding and wisdom to comprehend it..

Then why read a translation at all, if you're so convinced that the Holy Spirit doesn't want you to do anything for yourself? Why not simply pick up a Greek/Hebrew Bible and ask Him to interpret it for you?

16. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skanwmatos:Jane, if I were you I would just quit. You will never convince robycop3 that his failure to understand rather simple grammar means everybody will fail to understand it.

Know what "Bah! Humbug!" means?

You're so caught up in rules of grammar and tenets of academia that you've forgotten reality. After watching a baseball game, would you correctly say, "In the third inning, Barry Bonds tried to hit a home run, but he missed and swung"?

He has an agenda, and that agenda is to mock, ridicule, and slander the KJV on every occasion regardless of the truth of the matter.

Wrong. I am showing the KJV is no more perfect than any other Bible translation.

The KJV is certainly not what the KJVOs claim it to be, but neither is it what robycop3 claims it to be. In my opinion they are "birds of a feather." Extremists who should not be taken too seriously. His hatred for KJVOs has so warped his thinking that he is unable to see or admit the truth. His position is as cultic as the most radical of the KJVOs.

I believe my messages, delivered over the Net since its beginning, prove you quite wrong. Like your buddy who used to be here, you're out of touch with reality in more than one matter.

Again, "Bah! Humbug!"

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jane:If you'll try to perceive the setting of the event in Acts 5:30, you'll notice that Peter is trying to convey something about what they did to Jesus Christ.. and that's one of the factor in seeing the context don't look on that verse alone but try to comprehend the whole chapter then you'll understand why did Peter told that verse..

M'am, the context says Jesus was crucified while He was alive, and that He has alive on the cross for at least six hours. Technically, He wasn't slain at all, but "gave up the ghost" when all the prophecy of the events of His first coming were fulfilled. But plainly, the order of events was that He was first crucified and then He died. No amount of spin nor any number of excuses will change one letter of Acts 5:30 as it is written in the KJV, and in that verse the events are NOT in proper order. The TRUTH is that this verse is one of the AV translators' lesser renderings.

18. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Fine, robycop3, have it your way. You don't understand simple English so nobody else can either. Have it your way.

Oh, I passed your little comment on to my pastor. He is still laughing. It seems he has encountered your cultic thinking before.

"The greatest impediment to learning is the thought, 'I already know.'"

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 10:17-18
    Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.
    No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.

This is one of the reasons I prefer "whom ye condemned and hanged on a tree"

HankD

20. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Skanwmatos:Fine, robycop3, have it your way. You don't understand simple English so nobody else can either. Have it your way.

it's not MY way; it's the way the general English-speaking public perceives what they read. If you wish to be a grammar-rules-extremist and insist the entire English-reading public is wrong, go ahead.

Kinda reminds me of an old cigarette TV ad: "Winston tastes good, like a cigarette should". That ad used incorrect grammar, but it sold lotsa Winstons. Then, R.J. Reynolds decided to correct it. They still sang the jungle, but someone chimed in, saying, "You mean, AS a cigarette should?" Winston's sales fell about 8%.

Oh, I passed your little comment on to my pastor. He is still laughing. It seems he has encountered your cultic thinking before.

So he also thinks the public is wrong? Kewl.

"The greatest impediment to learning is the thought, 'I already know.'"

Yes - such as shown by a certain academician who places more value in some rules of grammar made by a few men than he does in the reality of how the public does something, and then seeks to misapply those rules over the facts of common sense.

OK, you're right;I'm wrong. Allow me to correct myself : Barry Bonds missed and swung, the Cassini space probe reached Saturn and was launched in 1997, Grandma Roby died in 1995 and gave birth to Dad, and Jesus was slain and hanged from a tree.