1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Acupuncture

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Peggy, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't think I would prescribe acupuncture at this point because there is no evidence that it works. All the studies done show no measurable effect.

But anecdotally, it seems to do something for some people. Unfortunately, we don't seem to know who those people are. There appears to be no harm besides the slight needle pricks if practiced with sterile needles. I liken it to most natural and herbal remedies. If there is no harm in it, feel free to try it. Maybe it is the placebo effect or maybe there is a real therapeutic effect that we just haven't been able to detect in studies.

My sister is a physiotherapist and seems to get good results from it. I'm still skeptical but maybe I'll be persuaded one day.

I agree with others that the spiritual background of acupuncture is not necessary for its clinical practice. Just like doing Yoga exercises without the spiritual aspect of Yoga.

2. Peggy

Peggy New Member

After a few weeks of acupuncture, the neuropathy seems to be "loosening up". That is, I still have limited sensation in my fingers and toes, but it seems to be getting a bit better.

I'm starting a new round of chemo, though, so it remains to be seen if the effects last through the chemotherapy.