1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Adam and Eve

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, May 11, 2006.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I hope this is the right forum for this question. Will there be sex in Heaven (New Earth) after our resurrection? The reason I ask, before the "fall" of Adam and Eve, they were made as sexual beings, designed to have sex (remember God saying that after the fall, childbirth would NOW be a painful thing, insinuating childbirth would not have been painful pre fall)

In Heaven, I believe it will be similar, at least in areas, to the Garden of Eden (Tree of Life found in both). Nowhere in Scripture does it tell us that we will cease to be men and women, matter of fact, we will be ourselves when resurrected, body and all, but free from sin.

I realize that there will be no marriage in Heaven, but there wasn't marriage in the Garden either. God made relations between man and woman "good", so I am having a hard time of finding anywhere in Scripture where God will take away something good from us in our present state, without replacing it perfectly in Heaven. Where fellowship, worship, relationships and life in general are hindered by sin, the Bible implies everything we experience now, will be made perfect and whole in Christ. Even marriage will be better, since we will be married to Christ. Thoughts?

2. genesis12

genesis12 Member

good grief

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's your thought? Thanks for contributing, Charlie Brown.

4. doulous

doulous New Member

Surprised you persisted with that question when you knew this passage. Also, Adam and Eve were married, not by ceremony but by the order of God. See below:

5. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Somebody wrote that the first man and woman was not created for heaven. They were created for the earth, their job was to look after the earth, to multiply on the earth (thru the institution of marriage, and the pleasure of sex) and their calling was to be in perfect fellowship with their Creator.
    The Lord Jesus Christ, as you have already pointed out, said there is no marriage in heaven, that the children of God will be as angels which are of heaven, and whom God created to serve Him in heaven. These do not need the earthly and earthy pleasures and functions of sex and marriage.
    Paul wrote:

The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.
    As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.
    And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.
    (1 Cor. 15:47-49).

Sex is something we as humans enjoy. But after we are changed and transported to a different location, I personally think this is part of those 'former' things we will not remember anymore.

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

To bulk erase the pleasures of one's life doesn't seem like an acceptable answer to me. If you have no memory of who you were, are you really, still you?

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This post has plenty of holes in it. First, we are not going to be "transported to a different location". Intermediately, yes, but Earth is our final destination.
    Second, we do not cease to be humans in Heaven. We are only changed in the fact we have our sin nature removed, and our bodies will not die. We will not be resurrected missing certain body parts.
    Third, Heaven was created to be our home from the beginning. God did not call it "good" for no reason. He can choose to live wherever He wants to. He created Earth for man, and eventually will "live" with man together here on earth. Before the fall, Adam and Eve were created to live forever, as we will be recreated some day.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Surprised you persisted with that question when you knew this passage. Also, Adam and Eve were married, not by ceremony but by the order of God. See below:

</font>[/QUOTE]What does this have to do with the OP? I'm not talking about marriage.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

To bulk erase the pleasures of one's life doesn't seem like an acceptable answer to me. If you have no memory of who you were, are you really, still you? </font>[/QUOTE]You're right. The Bible never tells us our memories will be erased, in fact Revelation tells the opposite. The martyrs want to know when Christ will avenge their deaths. If their memories were erased, they would not know they were martyred.

10. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I do not think anyone knows the answer to your questions webdog. It will be one of those things we will just have to wait and see...

11. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To bulk erase the pleasures of one's life doesn't seem like an acceptable answer to me. If you have no memory of who you were, are you really, still you? </font>[/QUOTE]Yet the Bible clearly indicates there are things that will not be remembered anymore. Bad memories, memories of unsaved loved ones, lusts (sex is lust, bridled and contained in marriage, therefore Paul advises young men and women to marry),memories of bitterness, hatred, failures, and all the negatives of this former earth.

Revelation 21:3-4

And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
    And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Sex in heaven without the natural purpose of childbirth would just be satisfying negative earthy lustfulness.
    Dangerously close to the doctrines of the Catacomb Children, a.k.a., the Children of God, the Music with Meaning People, etc.

12. standingfirminChrist

Marriage was instituted before the fall, and it was indeed in the garden of Eden.

Genesis 2:15 declares that God put man in the garden.

Read the rest of the chapter. You will find the woman made from the rib and brought to the man and these words...

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Yes, marriage was instituted in the garden.

13. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right. The Bible never tells us our memories will be erased, in fact Revelation tells the opposite. The martyrs want to know when Christ will avenge their deaths. If their memories were erased, they would not know they were martyred. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]Well, you'll have a problem with the Millenialists and the Dispensationalists, here, buddy.
    The sequence goes:

the saints ask for vengeance and justice while reigning with Christ during the thousand years.

Revelation 20:4-And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

The erasing of former times is after the thousand years at the creation of a new heaven and a new earth.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks, but this is not about marriage...

15. standingfirminChrist

webdog,

the last paragraph in the op stated there was no marriage in the garden. I have addressed that to show it was instituted in the garden.

As to sex in heaven, sounds like an earthly lust. earthly lusts will have no place in heaven.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You're right. The Bible never tells us our memories will be erased, in fact Revelation tells the opposite. The martyrs want to know when Christ will avenge their deaths. If their memories were erased, they would not know they were martyred. </font>[/QUOTE]Well, you'll have a problem with the Millenialists and the Dispensationalists, here, buddy.
    The sequence goes:

the saints ask for vengeance and justice while reigning with Christ during the thousand years.

Revelation 20:4-And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

The erasing of former times is after the thousand years at the creation of a new heaven and a new earth. [/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]As a dispensationalist, buddy, you are on the wrong page, and my point stand...

Revelation 6:9 When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those slaughtered because of God's word and the testimony they had.
    Revelation 6:10 They cried out with a loud voice: "O Lord, holy and true, how long until You judge and avenge our blood from those who live on the earth?"

This happens in the "intermediate" Heaven, prior to the MK on New Earth.

17. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Webdog do you really think that people will be able to just go around and have sex with whomever they choose?

If it is restricted to your spouse then what happens to those whose first spouse died and they married again? What happens to the spouse that got divorced for a Biblical reason and then married again?

Do they just get to become polygimists?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sex was created BY God...for man. Lust is a byproduct of sin. They are not the same thing. We enjoy eating, drinking, laughing, playing, etc. Will these all be removed, too? The Bible is not only clear that they won't, but these things will be even greater and further magnified. The argument of "if you enjoy it, it's evil and not meant for Heaven" is an old gnostic teaching.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I really don't know. Was it restricted to only spouses in the OT? What were the reasons for concubines, and why weren't they wives? Does the Bible condemn concubines as sin, or multiple wives for that matter?

20. doulous

doulous New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]What does this have to do with the OP? I'm not talking about marriage.
    </font>[/QUOTE]It has everything to do with it because sexual relations are limited to marriage. In heaven their is no marriage. Where there is no marriage there is no sex.