1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured ADD, ADHD, Panic Attacks... Spiritual or Physical problems? Or both?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Apr 12, 2014.

1. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

This is a thread in which Judith has gone too far. Imagine her being a Sunday school teacher to your children. I can't think of anything more dangerous than the way she is thinking now.

2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen....

...I agree whole heartedly! But she is not alone in this manner of thinking! I just pray that those who feel this way, NEVER come down with a mental illness, I'm sure they'd drive themselves CRAZY, trying to rid their mind of the spiritual demons!

My depression and anxiety/PTSD had a reason or cause. Medically speaking, I do have a chemical imbalance, which showed up in blood work, and proved to be factual with the help of medication!

The PTSD had a root cause too, and it wasn't any sin of mine. It came as a result of 14 years of legal squabbling over my work-related injury, and deposition after deposition! I also had a supervisor who did not like granting me reasonable accommodations, and would continue to go against the conditions set up in those perimeters of those accommodations, making it difficult for me emotionally! I was always being forced to file a grievance, and those made life hard!

Why did I remain on the job ... first of all; I was god at what I did, and loved doing it? Secondly, I was not going to allow a prejudicial egotist, drive me away from a job I held longer than he worked for the state. Finally, I had a family to think of, and finding another job that paid as well as this one, was not going to happen. PLUS, I had a fantastic retirement fund building up, and to quit meant letting that go back to, well ... the state!

Most importantly, I was making a stand for any handicapped employees to come after me. I owed it to others in my condition, to make a stand and not let biased individuals BULLY the disabled and cause them to cower and quit a job they loved doing too!

Sure, it took a toll, but, as a believer, we have to make a stand, and trust God to see us through! The problem was, separating my emotions from the ingoing harassment, was not as easily done as thought! So, to say that a person who has any form of an emotional problem is so wrong. It lacks Bible support. Mental illness is no different than a physical illness, and at some time in the life of most of us, we will be faced with the possibility of an acute or chronic form of physical or emotional illness.

Years ago, I passionately preached against divorce and remarriage. I had it all figured out, and even chose to never do a wedding where one or both persons had been divorced.

So, when my wife chose to runoff with another man, and end a ten-year marriage, I was devastated.

As a young Vocational Rehab Counselor, I spoke avidly about those who came in with bad backs and emotional illnesses [like panic attacks, and depression] that kept them from being gainfully employed. In fact, when my current wife of 34 years, hurt her back milking cows [she was good at it, having grown up on a dairy farm], I actually shamed her and made her feel bad for not being able to return to dairy work. I couldn't see the back injury, and had hardened myself against people with pain, thinking it was all in their MIND!

Well, God has a way humbling us. I not only went through a bad marriage, I was remarried [swallowing the humble pie with great humility]. And when I slipped in the shower, and injured my back to the point of having to have emergency surgery, I discovered quickly, that the invisible pain; I so poignantly slammed others for claiming to have, like the proverbial chickens, came home to roost!

I do not wish that on those who preach their personal bias, but I do issue a warning, that sometimes life fools us, and makes us humbled before the very words we heatedly spoke so freely! Be careful what you judge other of, the stick in their eye, may one day be a log in yours!

Shalom! :wavey:

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for sharing that dude.
    God has taken me down some rough roads myself.
    He is faithful!

If we learn from our troubles, they change us and make us more tolerant, forgiving and loving to those that face challenges.
    I've gotten much more "liberal" in my acceptance of others misfortune, and more willing to share the way out, the good news of Jesus Christ.

One only needs to read the psalms to realize that bad times happen even to good people.

The psalms are full of troubling problems despite closeness to God.

One of my favorites is Psalm 88.

"darkness is my closest friend" (vs 18).

Rob

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a time when I'd have been livid to read some of the things touted here, but now, I'm ashamed and embarrassed that there are STILL Christians who believe this stupidity. No wonder the world has no respect for Christians any more!

Be careful, Judith. Be very, very careful. God has a way of making us eat our words when we get puffed up and condemn others. Before I had children, and even after our first was born, I thought ADD and ADHD were nothing more than childish disobedience and a good spanking was the cure. Then our second child was born and we found out the hard way what ADD is. May God forgive me for daring to judge other parents who struggled with this issue before He let me struggle with it myself!

There are many things not mentioned in the Bible--things like food allergies, pollution and poisons in our water supply that were not present back then, foods covered with unsafe pesticides that cause all sorts of reactions in people. We've found a direct relation between food allergies and ADD. Just because it's not in the Bible doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I pray you never tout your opinions to a person who has suffered any kind of abuse. If the person is at the brink of suicide, your words would do nothing but push him off a cliff.

5. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

How about the complete lack of faith, that the immunizations are?

People allow their children to be poisoned, to prevent bad things from happening to them, rather than trusting God.

The resulting effect on these little bodies, is often disorders like ADD/ ADHD/ AUTISM. Likewise:
    Pro 25:16
    16 Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee,
    lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it.

Pro 25:27
    27 It is not good to eat much honey:
    so for men to search their own glory is not glory.

An imbalanced diet, loaded with simple sugars, can directly affect concentration. This is indisputable scientific fact.

6. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

No.

There is no link between immunizations and autism, etc.

Read it for yourself at the CDC's website.

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Those who do not get their children immunized are not trusting God to use their brain as they ought.
    Where I live there have been at least two entire schools shut down because of a measles epidemic. How did that happen? Apparently a couple or more families would "trust God" and not immunize their children. Now they have measles and have passed it in to an entire community. The Bible has much to say on giving, but that is not the type of giving it is speaking of.
    It also has much to say about common sense, and using our minds; our intellect.

8. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

My wife, nor kids have ever been to a doctor, had shots, etc.
    They are rarely sick.
    One got the measles.
    She got well.

We have had no medical bills.

I'll take our lifestyle of faith in the Creator, rather than to suffer many things at the hands of physicians.

9. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Of course. The Gov. never lies.
    Nixon never lied.
    Clinton never lied.
    The CDC never lies.

The FDA has outlawed any claims of any healing properties of any natural products.
    The same FDA approves drugs, refined from these plants.

No worries, do your drugs, I'll take healing .

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes, that is what a few others said. Instead they became the source of an epidemic inflicting unneeded pain and suffering on a community because of their "faith in the Creator" and stubborn refusal to heed the advice of medical authorities who knew better than they.

11. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

I've got to say that prophet has some faith. He knows where that faith is tested, it's his family and he has follow what he feels is the Holy Spirit guiding him. He has results.

12. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have done my homework.
    I believe what I believe.
    I was raised by a Microbiologist, who is a professor at med. school.

There is no way you will get anywhere with me, you can't keep up with the science side.
    You will trust your doctors.
    I will trust God
    Our oldest is almost grown.
    My kids feel sorry for immunized kids.
    We will never agree.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

At one time measles was declared eradicated, and then?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/04/measles-outbreak-californ_n_5092537.html

(I read "faith or superstitious" groups).
    http://globalnews.ca/news/1250384/c...nada-doctors-blame-anti-vaccination-movement/
    There are dozens more of such articles.

Refuse to get vaccinated, come down with measles, and spread it to everyone else. That is how it works. Then you can have the guilt that you have been the cause of an epidemic, and have caused pain and suffering to others.

14. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

God bless you.
    I won't discuss this any further, it isn't something spelled out in Scripture, so it is just my walk versus someone else's.

Just make sure you ask the elders of your church to pray over you when you do get sick, cuz that isn't arguable, and I will do the same.

Again, God bless and keep you and yours well.

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Then you should know better.

You've already lost on the science side.

16. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

God bless you. May you enjoy good health.
    Praise His name, we have.

17. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? Do you have a child who suffers from ADD? If not, you really don't have a clue. Are you a doctor? Do you have proof? Or are you just spouting off more nonsense some preacher screams from the pulpit or what some kook claims is "natural science?"

Don't lay sin at the feet of others for what you ASSUME is a lack of faith. Last I checked, only Jesus could judge the hearts of others.

According to your logic, we shouldn't use car seats for kids. After all, if we just "trust God" they will be safe in a car accident. Why, Christians who lock their doors must not "trust God" to keep them safe at night.

Thanks for the laugh. No wonder the world looks at Christians and labels us all as ignorant morons who go around judging everyone. Wow.

18. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's fine if he has faith. It's not fine to judge others as lacking spiritually simply because they disagree with him.

19. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

true that abc

20. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I know I'm quite late coming to this party, but RevMitchell, you hit the nail squarely on the head.