1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

addiction

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by joe williams, Sep 23, 2005.

1. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Sample, because I think different people have different sorts of needs at different times.

2. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I have no doubt that an addict can find real truth on this forum, but it's no substitute for real counseling and shouldn't be used as such. And, having been addicted myself, I appreciate the strong stance that Paidagogos has taken in this thread. There is no better liar than an addict and the clear truth is the only way to cut through the lies and make the addict face the truth about the situation.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have read with interest on this thread about chemical addictions. What about sexual addictions, gambling addictions, and the like? Are thing like obsessive compulsive disorders, or relational addictive disorders addictions or personalities?

4. Pickerel

Pickerel New Member

A Person must be Born again...You have no power by yourself to overcome these addictions on your own! You are under "Bondage" and only by Giving yourself to Christ can He give you a "New" nature, one that has the Ability to say NO to these addictions...You receive His power to overcome, once you realize you are powerless to do so on your own! [​IMG]

You want to be "Free"...You want to turn your life around...? Seek Christ above ALL things and He will most CERTAINLY set you "Free"!

Only Christ Saves!

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks, I realize that. My question is based more on the OP, about addictions being chemical or psychological.

6. Pickerel

Pickerel New Member

I would guess both? If your parents were alchoholics, your chances are greater to become one yourself? Or thru a Phsychological scarring can one become a sexual deviant? My answer would be yes...? I think there are many causes but only one remedy...

Only Christ Saves!

7. bapmom

bapmom New Member

webdog,

our Reformers Unanimous program.....that Ive mentioned way too many times....deals with all those issues that you mentioned as well. We believe people are set free from all of those things through Christ. WHen it comes to physical addictions we do not rule out doctor prescribed medication, but we also do not rely solely on that to cure the person. The doctor's medications can get the person off it, but the meds can't prevent the person from returning to the substance abuse again. It is the "psychological" issues that Christ solves for us, by turning us into "new creatures."

8. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Its great to meet someone else involved in RU! Its a very good program.

paidogogos, I think I see what you are saying. I can see that in what our program at my church does. We preach hard against the sin, we urge them to become truly convicted about what they are doing. Then we teach them too, about God's love, mercy and forgiveness.

SAMPLE, I think if you look at it clearly, you'd agree.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I've heard some interesting things about RU. I like their strong stance against sin. Also, I think they got the order right. Tell me more. Are they associated with First Baptist Church of Milford, OH (Bearing Precious Seed Ministry and Master Clubs)?

9. bapmom

bapmom New Member

paidagogos,

no, they are out of Northlove Baptist in Rockford, Illinios. A man named Steve Currington started it, and he was a member there at the time.....still is, actually.

Many churches now have RU chapters, so perhaps FBC of Milford has one now, too.

They've still got some glitches organizationally, as in printing materials and things, but their content is great.