1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Adrian Rogers and Theological Training

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul1611, May 19, 2007.

1. Paul1611

Paul1611 New Member

Thought I would share this with everyone, I found it to be very refreshing and couldnt agree more with Pastor Rogers response.
    From the Book: "Love Worth Finding" (The Life of Adrian Rogers and His Philosophy of Preaching, pg 170-171)
    Question: "What is the importance of theological training to the preacher?

Pastor Rogers: "Theological training is imperative for the man called into God's ministry. I would define theology as the encompassing the study of the Word of God and the study of the God of the Word. Theological training is not necessarily synonymous with formal seminary training. A precher may indeed receive formal theological training from a seminary. However, many seminaries are not theological training centers- though they may refer to themselves as such. Theos means God, and Logos means the Word. Since many seminaries do not believe the Word, why should the institutions regard themselves as centers for theological training? It is like Post Grape-Nuts cereal, which is neither a grape nor a nut. People ought to saturate some seminaries with their absence, because they are worse off after they attend. I thank God for our seminaries. I believe in intellectualism. But listen to me. Our seminaries need not to be elitist institutions. They need to be, primarily, incubators of a blazing, passionate, emotional love for Jesus and His word. The man of God must have theological training, but a preacher could aquire that knowledge while studying at his own desk. A man may never see the inside of a seminary and still be a great theologian. However, he must have a desire for the truth of God's Word and self-discipline to study."
    (emphasis added is mine) I could not agree with Pastor Rogers answer any more. I thought it to be very refreshing, especially coming from a man with so much experience and wisdom.

2. Pipedude

Pipedude Active Member

Well, maybe. But the history of mankind seems to indicate that nobody is going to advance well in theology unless he's regularly clashing swords with others who can tell him "That's the stupidest thing you've said all week; but then, it's only Wednesday..."

Someone has said that heresy is "truth out of balance." I've never been able to disagree with that. And a learner doesn't have the wherewithal to see when he's out of balance. He needs a teacher or two or three.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Amen. That quote is draped with so much wisdom. Thanks for sharing that piece, Paul. It is greatly appreciated.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

For the record, Adrian Rogers himself was a graduate of Stetson University and New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, and was instrumental in Mid-America being in Memphis, which at one time held its classes in his church.

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why would God reveal the mysteries of the faith to anyone who is disobedient? Someone who does not share his faith and makes disciples is disobedient and sets himself up for being side tracked. Amazing how non-Christians and young Christians can help to keep us on track by the questions they ask.

There have been many times when sharing my faith that all of a sudden I understood what a passage meant. I happen to think there is some theology that can be gotten no other way than through experiences with God.