1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Adult Stem Cells Provide Little To No Help

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Magnetic Poles, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

Easy question to answer. I don't believe that these embryos are human beings; therefore, I see nothing wrong with using them to alleviate suffering.

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I guess I give up. People cannot stay on topic or start their own.

You can find Human DNA in my spit. Does that mean it deserves protection as a person?

Note: Edited to be more sensitive

#42 Magnetic Poles, Sep 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2006
  3. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

the only blame then is to God himself for not showing us that a soul is formed at the exact moment of fertilization. Is it really that hard to provide an inspiration for such a device to detect that? Then again, how harder would it be to advocate for laws on manipulating spirits?

4. UnchartedSpirit

as a matter of fact I'll go even further to say that since God hasn't given to us any supernatural insights or powers, he really dosen't care about our souls or the chemical ropes that hold it in bondage. I bet he just want's to destroy us all anyway, but to make it interesting, he'll let us try to gain spiritual power therogh other means such as satanic, so we'll die thinking we ahve to power to fight him. There's no other explination to why God won't allow to see a spirit form within a fertilized egg, thus proving that this is a human bieng- and to why we can't unleash the potential of God's spirit that is supposidely in us to do greater works than Moses or Peter and finally see some revival!

5. Magnetic Poles

:thumbs: Exactly! There is nothing in science or the Bible that says otherwise.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

Terry, that leads me to two questions:
    1. "Alleviate suffering" is the job of a commodity. I can think of many things folks use to accomplish that goal:
    • Tylenol
    • a Cigarette
    • Diaper rash cream
    • an Ice pack
    are embryos in that category? If so...that leads me to question 2:

2. When do they move from "commodity" to "child?" Does it happen all at once, or over a few days?

Terry...I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck. But on this issue, the stakes are high. If I'm right, we're talking about thousands upon thousands of lives that we are simply going to "use" for the benefit of others. Isn't that a mgihty high price to pay?

As I said before, I'm in a quandary about all of these frozen embryos. I'm bothered by the fact that they were simply "made," and no firm plans were made for their future.

But since I believe life begins at conception--and I see no logical way for me to believe otherwise--I can't go along with destruction.

7. Magnetic Poles

You are not alone in that belief, however the embryos will be destroyed regardless.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

I have a close friend who is attempting to adopt a frozen embryo. I know very little of the specifics of how this works, etc., but I guess that's one option.

9. UnchartedSpirit

not if you and every other husband give a dozen to your wife---how can you not condemn any mother who would give away their unborn child this way?

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. Are you saying that it's better for an embryo to be destroyed than to allow another person to adopt it?

Please clarify.

11. UnchartedSpirit

i don't know how to put it planer---where else are they getting these embryos from? moms willing donate them or yell at their kids that they regret doing this option right?

12. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

If two human beings procreate then what else can the creation be. How can the embryo not be human when it was procreated from humans.

What species is it?

Does it have different DNA?

If I took the DNA from an embrio to a crime lab and had it tested, and asked what species is it. Would they say Human?

13. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Your spit will not grow up to be a person.

We are on topic, you just want to limit the argument avoid questions that are hard to answer and will not strengten your own view. Everything that has been said on this thread is related and important to this subject.

14. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Somebody will be murdered tonight, regardless of what I do. Does that mean I should participate in a murder.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

MP - You mentioned that your spit has DNA in it so should that be protected .....Well, your spit does not ever have the ability to become a person with just a matter of months and nutrition and protection. There is NOTHING that the mother's body does other than support that baby - nothing that she does to MAKE that baby grow.

Do you know that GOD sees unborn babies as important? Did you know that in the OT, if you caused an expecting mother to lose her child, there were consequences to that? Do you know who is the Author of Life? I saw a few of my babies before they were even CONCIEVED!! I went for fertility treatments (shots) and I saw the eggs before they were released (via u/s). And you know what? I really think that there were eggs that were fertilized that did NOT implant in my womb - who are my children. God, the one who made each and every one of us, in His infinite wisdom, choose to not allow those children to enter this world and that is not my place to question Him. I DO know that by dealing with those years of infertility, losing atleast 2 babies that I know of and struggling through 5 years of all of this, that HE got the glory when my son entered this world with NO help from the fertility drugs. Then my daughter came along after that and we all laughed! God even has a sense of humor because we didn't even know about her until I was in my 3rd month of pregnancy! God is amazing and so awesome! Even if I never had another child, it was still HIS choice as to what happened inside my womb.

As for those babies, I went through the fertility thing and totally felt that it was not our place to use science to manipulate the conception of our children. If I couldn't concieve in the God-given way, we would quit trying. There are responsibilites that we have with our wombs and the results of our actions and I really think that those who have created these babies and left them to science will answer to God. So those babies are still going to die. That is NOT a reason to take them and pull them apart and destroy them. I have friends who would benefit from stem cell transplants but they do not want parts of sacrificed children in them. Do you know that umbilical stem cells are way more effective than adult stem cells? What about using those? What about using what we have that will not destroy life to further science??

We need to be very careful with what God has entrusted to us - our children, our fertility and our knowledge.

Ann

16. UnchartedSpirit

and before any anal-rentitive mods or admins chime in-this is a political debate now so it's smarter to move it to the politics section rather then just closing it..

17. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Does the DNA in your spit match the rest of your DNA, or is it a little different?

18. Magnetic Poles

No, the topic was the effectiveness of adult vs. embryonic stem cells. Not abortion. Not when life begins.
    You and others have hijacked the thread, rather than start one of your own. Apparently you don't want a rational discussion limited to the subject.

BTW the reason to limit it is to prevent it from degenerating into yet another abortion thread, which you have successfully accomplished.

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

uncharted...PLease don't get angry, but all I got from reading your posts was confused.

Dude...If you're attacking me for mentioning a friend who is burdened for the situation regarding the embryos, then lighten up. I didn't explain the full story here, as to not further sidetrack the debate. If you'll notice my posts in this thread, I've been able to engage in debate with folks that disagree almost completely with me--yet it's been civil and we've avoided the name calling that others have done, we've avoided the tone that you seem to be taking.

If it were me, I would avoid referring to the mods as "anal-retentive." They do a great job dealing with difficult issues, and quite a few grumpy and difficult people.

If

20. UnchartedSpirit

Then we have little discussion-we've just been trying to barricade ourselves from the painful truth: God would rather everyone exists, suffer and die in any manner rather than a few people exist confortabily due to the destruction of others. Job being the principle example, unless that bings up another discussion in this thread. Therefore we shouldn't be looking to cure anyone so desprately unless for God's greater glory and power we go and heal them ourselves and gain one miracle to cast before him in heaven. Unfourtanately secularization has gotten too much influence into the Church these days. We're been intimidated by the media and nonbelivers not to perform miricales. I'm sure we try to reason around it with things like "oh, that would be 'testing the Lord' and provoking Him." We KNOW we have the power to work miricales? What is there to test? How embarrassing for us could it be when God does not to want to heal someone through us? That's HIS decision to make! God's grace is the only silver bullet to cancer or dehibilating deseas, not destorying the ghosts he wants to build into humans for us.