1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ADULTERY..Prov.6:32-33

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Gregory Perry Sr., Mar 6, 2005.

1. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

:eek: I almost SHUDDER to bring this topic out in an open forum like this but here goes:

Proverbs 6:32-33 says
    v33 But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding:he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul.

v32 A wound and dishonour shall he get;and his reproach shall NOT(emphasis mine)be wiped away.

I am going through a situation where my "past" keeps coming to the surface.I will only say that it is NOT any physical involvement with anyone and I am NOT,nor do I plan to repeat any past sins or mistakes.BUT...in my past I lived promiscuously.It was part of my family history that I am not proud of and I just seemed to follow right into it.Getting saved definitely changed my attitude towards it but it didn't take away my personal weakness for it as there were several other instances that occurred after I got Saved.It seems that my past keeps coming back to haunt me and now that I am involved in a godly relationship with a wonderful christian woman it is once again causing problems...NOT ACTUAL ACTS OF SIN...but rather,people from my past that keep popping up.The REPROACH of my past sins just keeps nagging at me even in the present...and is a threat to the stability of my current relationship.My fiancee has some definite and obvious "sensitivities" toward this subject and it is causing discord between us.The big problem is that when I removed myself from these past "relationships"(SINS),I didn't leave "enemies" behind me and a few of them have contacted me or I have run into them in public and since I don't treat ANYBODY in an ugly,rude or disrespectful way my lack of animosity has been taken as a desire to maintain contact by them....and my fiancee.I have tried to let all concerned know that I have gotten right with the Lord and am trying to live my life for Christ.I don't know what else to do.
    However,the CONTENT of this passage of scripture really makes me wonder if I can ever have any PEACE with God...the part about "destroyeth his own soul" and "his reproach shall not be wiped away" just leaves me wondering if I have any hope at all.

To those of you who may reply to this post just let me remind you of one thing......"Let he that is without sin cast the first stone.." My heart,soul and mind hurts over this...I need help.I have asked the Lord to forgive me for the sins of the past but I still hurt over this.

Greg Sr. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Brother,

Been there, Done that; (wish now I hadn't)......
    Before I came to Christ I had the same lifestyle.

Read Romans 8:1, and 8:35 and following.

Shortly after I was saved I read those verses and the burden was lifted!

Remember: "and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made PEACE (emphasis mine) through the blood of His cross." Col 1:20

Washed clean by the blood of the Lamb, reconciled to; and at peace with God.

In Christ, John

3. Gregory Perry Sr.

John...Thanks,I'll check out the verses.What troubles me is the way this stuff just seems to keep popping up...and also the fact that some of these things happened after I got saved.To listen to some people talk you'd think this WAS the unpardonable sin.I know we can be forgiven if we'll but ask....but the memories haunt me and I tend to "beat myself to a pulp" over them emotionally.I wish I could get across to some of the young people just how destructive this kind of stuff really is.I'd shout it from the housetops if I thought it would do any good.

Greg Sr.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

GPS ...

First, not to sound contrite, but we will be praying for you and with you.

Second, when a former female acquaintence approaches you ... you can now say, "Dear miss ___, a brother in Christ has asked me to let you know that I have placed my past behind me; God has forgiven me; God can forgive you as well; and my brother has asked that I not continue a friendship with you because a relationship with you now - could hurt other believers that are now close friends of mine."

Third, when a man approaches you ... you can say something like the above.

God Bless,

Wayne

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Proverbs 6:16 These six things the Lord hates, Yes, seven are an abomination to Him: 17 A proud look, A lying tongue, Hands that shed innocent blood, 18 A heart that devises wicked plans, Feet that are swift in running to evil, 19 A false witness who speaks lies, And one who sows discord among brethren.

I think we all are guilty of one or more of the above. Stop allowing Satan to steal the joy of your salvation! He is the one who reminds you of your past and whispers 'guilty' in your ears!

Colossians 2:13 And you, Gregory, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made you alive, Gregory, together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses

Joh 8:11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said to her, "Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more."

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Forgiveness
    One night in a church service a young woman felt the tug of God at her heart. She responded to God's call and accepted Jesus as her Lord and Savior. The young woman had a very rough past, involving alcohol, drugs, and prostitution. But, the change in her was evident. As time went on, she became a faithful member of the church. She eventually became involved in the assembly teaching young children. It was not very long until this faithful young woman had caught the eye and heart of the pastor's son.

The relationship grew and they began to make wedding plans. This is when the problems began. You see, about one half of the church did not think that a woman with a past such as hers was suitable for a pastor's son. The church began to argue and fight about the matter. So they decided to have a meeting.

As the people made their arguments and tensions increased, the meeting was getting completely out of hand. The young woman became very upset about all the things being brought up about her past. As she began to cry the pastor's son stood to speak. He could not bear the pain it was causing his wife to be. He began to speak and his statement was this:

"My fiancée's past is not what is on trial here. What you are questioning is the ability of the blood of Jesus to wash away sin. Today you have put the blood of Jesus on trial. So, does it wash away sin or not?"

The whole church began to weep as they realized that they had been slandering the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ. Too often, even as Christians, we bring up the past and use it as a weapon against our brothers and sisters. Forgiveness is a very foundational part of the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. If the blood of Jesus does not cleanse the other person completely then it cannot cleanse us completely. If that is the case, then we are all in a lot of trouble.

What can wash away my sins, nothing but the Blood of Jesus....end of case!

.....God Forgives.. So Should We!

7. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The Blood On Trial...

One night in a church service a young woman felt the tug of God at her heart. She responded to God's call and accepted Jesus as her Lord and Savior.

The young woman had a very rought past, involving alcohol, drugs and prostitution. But, the change in her was evident.

As time went on she became a faithful member of the church. She eventually became involved in the ministry, teaching young children.

It was not very long until this faithful young woman had caught the eye and heart of the pastor's son. The relationship grew and they began to make wedding plans. This is when the problems began.

You see, about one half of the church did not think that a woman with a past such as hers was suitable for a pastor's son. The church began to argue and fight about the matter. They decided to hav a meeting.

As the people made their arguments and tensions increased, the meeting was getting completely out of hand. The young woman became very upset about all the things being brought up about her past. As she began to cry the pastor's son stood to speak. He could not bear the pain it was causing his wife-to-be.

He began to speak and his statement was this: "My fiancee's past is not what is on trial here. What you are questioning is the ability of the blood of Jesus to wash away sin. Today, you have put the blood of Jesus on trial. So; does it wash away sin or not?" The whole church began to weep as they realized that they had been slandering the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Too often, even as Christians, we bring up the past and use it as a weapon against our brothers and sisters in Christ. FORGIVENESS is a very foundational part of the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

If the blood of Jesus does not cleanse the other person completely then it cannot cleanse us completely. If that is the case, then we are all in a lot of trouble.

"What can wash away my sins?
    Nothing but the blood of Jesus".

End of case!!!

~author unknown~

8. I Am Blessed 24

Diane: You took my story! [​IMG]

9. mcgyver

mcgyver New Member

Brother......

If Christ has forgiven you, (and He has!!!) don't be fearful of forgiving yourself.

I used to be attacked by my memories......I'd stop and consciously go to God when I realized what was happening.

After what now seems an amazingly short time, I stopped getting hit in those areas.

The scripture tells us that we are not ignorant of the enemy's devices; remember that now that the enemy can't "have" you (for you are born-again), he will try to make you "useless" for the work of God. Guilt over something that you've repented/confessed/received forgiveness for is a favorite tactic of his.

I look at it his way....I've got only one person to please, and that is Jesus Christ. What someone else thinks of me because of my past is their problem. As long as I can honestly say that I'm doing my best to serve the one who saved me, I figure I'm doing alright. Rom12:1 and following.

P.S. I will be in prayer for you brother!
    In Christ, John

10. delly

delly New Member

It seems so hard for us to forgive ourselves of our past even though we know God had forgiven us.
    Sometimes I remember something I did before I was saved and I am in total disbelief that I was that stupid. Then I remember that God has changed me and washed me clean and I really need to get past my past.

It is a terribly hard thing to do if people you once knew keep reminding you of it. You really need to find a way of letting them know you are no longer interesting in that way of life.

May God bless you and your fiancee. I pray that it all works out well for you.

11. I Am Blessed 24

I got saved when I was in my early thirties, so I have a past to deal with also.

When I run into someone from my past and they ask where I've been, since they haven't seen me, I tell them I've found a new place to hang out - church - and I invite them to come with me.

Most of the time I don't have to leave them behind. THEY leave ME!

I have often pondered this. I know God has forgiven me, but sometimes I have a problem forgiving myself.

I am wondering if I have truly accepted God's forgiveness, when this happens, or if other Christians have accepted it if they have a problem with my past...

If I am to believe God (and I do), then my sins are gone. When my past comes up, I know it's Satan because God doesn't remember my sins...

I love the song, "What sins are you talking about?"

12. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Well, I think that even Paul was bothered by what he formerly did to the Church.
    But you must learn to rest in the fact that the blood of Jesus cleanses us (you) from all sin.
    It is a part of trusting in Him.

13. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Maybe when you encounter one of these people from your past, you could re-introduce yourself to them. They may have known your former self, but you are a new creature in Christ. You might say "You may have known my former self, but I am the new Greg Perry. the old Greg Perry was laid to rest 2000 years ago when my Lord Jesus Christ was slain on the cross. This is my fiance..." Don't allow them to reminisce with you, certainly don't fellowship with them. Your fiance probably needs to be reassured that you are not going to be 'catting around', after all, she is making the biggest commitment a woman can make when she joins herself to you in marriage. My personal conviction is that a godly husband doesn't really have much business even talking to other women. There are times of course when this is acceptable (friendly fellowship at church), but we probably shouldn't have any 'girl friends' just as we wouldn't be comfortable with our wives hanging out with strange men. I would be less afraid of seeming rude to an old acquaintance then of seeming insensitive to my (future) wife's emotional needs. We are commanded to love our wives like Christ loved the church. And they never forget anything [​IMG]

14. Gregory Perry Sr.

Thank you all for your gracious comments and prayers....I know all this is true but it can still be hard to deal with.I'm still somewhat troubled by the meaning of that passage in Proverbs that I originally quoted.Any of you theologians out there want to offer a "contextual" exegesis on that one??Again ....thanks.

Greg Sr.

15. Gregory Perry Sr.

:rolleyes: James...those remarks you just made sounded like an ECHO of what my fiancee thinks...and I don't disagree....the person in question still has some ties to members of my family though and that definitely complicates matters....not a very comfortable situation.Your prayers would be appreciated.My love,my heart,and my desires are only for the woman I love and intend to wed.

Greg Sr. [​IMG]

16. I Am Blessed 24

The guilt of adultery can be wiped away by repentance, but the reproach will hang on.

God forgives us for all sins, but He does not take away the consequences of our sins.

David commited adultery, yet God still called him a "man after God's own heart".

17. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 23
    1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
    2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
    3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
    4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
    5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
    6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

18. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Contextual EXEGESIS in Proverbs is not the same as other genres of literature in the Bible.

Here you have a pithy statement. Statements like a father will tell his son. They are not absolutes. They are not "always true". The purpose of these pithy statements are to guide us to the better path of righteousness.

I would think this statement is like: "Son if you commit adultery, you will risk loosing everything. You might even loose your sould. Son, it is just not worth it. Whatever you do, don't commit adultery."

GPS,

I pray that helps some ...

In Christ & by His Blood.

19. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Proverbs 6
    30 Men do not despise a thief, if he steal to satisfy his soul when he is hungry;
    31 But if he be found, he shall restore sevenfold; he shall give all the substance of his house.
    32 But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul.
    33 A wound and dishonor shall he get; and his reproach shall not be wiped away.
    34 For jealousy is the rage of a man: therefore he will not spare in the day of vengeance.
    35 He will not regard any ransom; neither will he rest content, though thou givest many gifts.

The literal interpretation of this passage is speaking of a man who takes another man's wife. You may repent of it, but you cannot restore to this man what you have taken from him. I think God is warning of the likelihood that this man will kill you. God, of course, has washed away all our sins by the blood of His Son. There is certainly a spiritual application to be made. Committing adultery is one of the sins that Jesus said would bar someone from entering His kingdom.

1Corinthians 6
    9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
    10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
    11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Jesus told us that once we are washed, we don't ever have to be washed again, just our feet. As long as you are walking in the spirit, and are confessing your sins to Him, I think your doing fine. The danger is that when we fall into sin, and become hardened to sin, we stop coming to Christ to confess them and one day we find ourselves before the judgment seat of Christ with a load of unconfessed sin on our head. That would be when we find out what Christ meant in 1Corinthians 3:17:

If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.

20. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I've emailed you a wonderful sermon on this, Greg, and included a few thoughts from the 'blushing brides' view. It's free from any viruses so don't be concerned about opening the attachment.

Diane