1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Advantage of Outlook 2002

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Hardsheller, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have used Outlook Express for as long as it's been around simply because it was free. However due to the volume of my mail - both business, personal and ministry related - I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't upgrade to Outlook 2002.

Can anybody briefly summarize what Outlook 2002 would do for me that Outlook Express can not.

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer Netscape mail, which is free. I've found Netscape products generally to be less buggy and more secure than Microsoft products.

3. Sherrie

Sherrie New Member

I have outlook express 6. I just always have liked it. They have updated some new features for outlook now.

Sherrie

4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Outlook is intended to be used with a Micro$oft Exchange Server. I currently use Outlook at work and we use it to schedule company meetings, e-mail and calendar management throughout the company. In a former company, we used Outlook without an Exchange Server and it was simply glorified e-mail with a personal calendar.

In my opinion, if you don't have an Exchange Server in use, stick with Outlook Express or another high-quality mail system. (Since Outlook Express is especially prone to Micro$oft viruses, you may want to consider Netscape or some other alternatives.)

5. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Outlook 2002 also requires XP, FWIW.

6. td

td New Member

Baptist Believer is essentially correct. Outlook is loaded up with features to run off a server. It also comes bundled with MS Office so anyone can use it without a server. It's like anything else; once you get used to all the features you don't want to settle for something less. I use Outlook at home and the office. But, if all you need is basic email, I wouldn't run out and buy MS Office just for Outlook. Outlook Express is certainly adequate. Make sure you download all of the security patches from Microsoft.