1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Advantages & Disadvantages of Non-House Churches

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by BroChris, Sep 12, 2009.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Then they're a parachurch ministry rather than a church. The purpose of the church is to teach and equip the flock - and prepare them and provide opportunities for missions work. They're concentrating on the last part over the first part - which means that they're really not a church.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly right

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have friends doing true house church work and developing house church networks. There are some true advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages
    1. Is a more accurate (in biblical terms) of how the New Testament church met and worshipped.
    2. You can't hide in a house church, everyone is to be involved.
    3. Intimacy with others is a stunning example of Christ-likeness for others.
    4. Lay leadership is heavily pushed and needed.
    5. Your family worships and grows together in a real environment.
    6. Low overhead on terms of costs.
    7. Depending on how you do staffing (most have either bi-vocational or non-paid leaders) there isn't much in terms of personnel budgets
    8. It is simple
    9. If the environment (home) is right it is a great way to break down barriers
    10. Its not about a building but a community

Disadvantages
    1. Very high barriers for new guests
    2. If the home is small the group will struggle
    3. When someone leaves, everyone knows it
    4. Burn out is frequent
    5. Outreach/growth can be hindered
    6. Leadership can be weak
    7. An arrogance by some in leadership over other expressions of church
    8. Can create a difficult haves and have-nots in terms of housing, etc
    9. Teaching can be weak
    10. A less visible church

There are others and many here have answered well. I honestly love the idea of a huge house church network in our communities.

One other thing to consider...this is how the majority of Christianity expresses itself outside of the United States. Think about the millions of Christians in southeat Asia, in the Arab world, in Africa, in other countries where space is expensive and/or oppression exists.

For me there is something so pure in the expression. One of my friends works with a house church network in New York City. They meet two to three times a week for worship, Bible study, fellowship, etc in different homes. Then once a month all the house churches gather for a city wide worship service that last several hours. I've been to it, it is a blessing. There is something genuine and honestly attractive, imho, about it.

But I also believe there is a place for the established church. We can live in harmony, but it takes practiced discipline on both parts. :)

4. Lux et veritas

Lux et veritas New Member

Very well put, Jim. And quite in keeping with biblical standards. The NT local church has structure. Most house churches (from my limited knowledge) do not.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what is that?

When the house church movement ( which is nothing more than geography and a lack of leadership and structure) is so anti-establishment (60's here we go again) how will that ever be?

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The house churches abroad do so in many cases out of pure necessity. the house church movement in America does not have this reason. Their motivations are rather Romantic but unnecessary. They are wanna be's and not much more.

7. BroChris

BroChris Member

I appreciate all the responses. Great input so far.

But we're actually addressing a slightly different issue than I intended. I'm not so much interested in the legitimacy of house churches. I'm fine with them. I'm interested more at this point in the legitimacy of non-house churches. What most of us are all used to. What we've grown up in. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a building?

In a way, it's just the flip of what we've been talking about, but I think looking at if from this angle might be challenging to us. Having a building, for example, causes people to think of church is a place rather than a people. Having a building fosters the idea that church is what we do when we gather Sundays and Wednesdays, and that if we are faithful to come together, we have been faithful to be the church. Advantages, of course, included more space and room for growth (without having to divide and meet in more places).

More thoughts?

#27 BroChris, Sep 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2009
  8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is for these reasons above that our church has both. We have corporate worship and programs at the church, but in addition, a strong part of our church is the small group ministry. Meeting in homes, praying for one another, serving and helping one another and getting close to those in the group are all benefits of small groups. Our new church plant will be just that - Sunday worship and small groups during the week. It's the best of both worlds, IMO.