1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Advice for pastors

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Salty, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. toocoolblue

toocoolblue New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a nice list, but I don't think it remotely addresses the real problem.

And I'm not sure that anything can. The bible predicts a great falling away, a going back to the days of Noah, sin run amuck...

In fact, for all arguments over pre-trib, post-trib, mid-trib, I think there will be so few Christians around when the rapture happens, that no one will even notice they're gone.

It's easy to armchair quarterback and say pastors are doing this wrong and that wrong, But I'm not sure any change they can make will help anything.

4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually there is a lot of truth to it.
    It is not talking about those who just stop attending church (Or those going to a non-evangelical church) but those who get upset about some minor change - (for example- the church decides to have morning worship before SS). Dont fret over those.

Granted - if someone stops attending - yes, I fully agree that pastor needs to "leave the 90 & 9) and seek to reclaim them.

Otherwise - if they start to attend a good evangelical church - I would leave enough alone.

#5 Salty, Feb 17, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  6. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not the one who left over the changed SS time?

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many good exceptions.

I only have a 168 hours a week
    I want to make best use of my time.

8. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that fit the model Jesus set of leaving the 99 for the one? Maybe the one you deem not worthy is the one who most needs you.

9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Jesus cleanse 10 men - they all left - one came back -
    Jesus did not go after them!

So even Jesus did not always go after some.

I stand by what I said -
    and that is the last I will respond to you.

10. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus did not go after the 10 because He knew the outcome. He is Omniscient. He knew they were not going to be converted.
    You are not Omniscient, though often you act like you think you are. Something is wrong when the shepherd fails to grieve for the lost sheep.

11. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I can no longer edit above post.
    If the Shepherd fires not care about the list sheep and seek him out, according to Scripture that makes him a hireling and not a true shepherd.
    I believe this article hilights the modern trend of pastors caring more about themselves than the flock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have kept up with the writings of Thom for many years. IMO, he attempts to let business management practices and sociology trump Biblical commands.
    Most of his points here are anti scriptural. Points 2,3,4, and 5 all go against my reading of Scripture.
    They all seem to be dismissive of the spiritual needs of the flock. A shepherd is to care for and nurture his sheep. He is not a coach who is picking and choosing his best team. Thoms advice here is more appropriate for a baseball coach than a pastor.

13. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evaluation:
    1. Be more intentional about evangelism.
    I would be more intentional about doctrinal truth and purity. A heart walking close to God, pleasing Him, will of necessity focus on witnessing. Recognize this is "planting and watering", too, not just reaping

2. Spend time with more committed church members.
    More committed members automatically get more time already, since they are in church and active in church ministry by nature of that commitment. I would focus extra one-on-one time with the new converts, the marginal members to help them grow. They need the milk and bread, while the others need meat.

3. Make sure their families are their first line of ministry among the church members.
    Amen. Pastors often put ministry ahead of family in almost every part of life and I always prioritized God, wife, family, ministry, sports, pets

4. Learn to say “no” more often.
    Say "yes" as much as you can and use all opportunities to minister,

5. Stop obsessing over losing members.
    It IS important to evaluate "why" people leave. There is an offense in the Gospel, but also an offense in the actions/attitudes of some pastors.

6. Be willing to get help for themselves and for their churches.
    Sadly, "independent" Baptists feel like lone rangers and churches feel like Elijah's "me only".

7. Give more attention to small groups in the church.
    Personally, I loved pastoring a church that was like a "small group" in size and function. When we got larger, we divided to allow the 10-15 family level of "small group" mentality. This allowed interaction and edification better than when we pastored a large church

Don't really align with these 7 points, but good start to the conversation.

• Agree Agree x 1