1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Advice Needed Concerning Full-Time

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Bama Fan1, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Bama Fan1

Bama Fan1 New Member

I am seeking the advice of other full-time pastors. My situation is that I have been a bi-vocational pastor for over 10 years now. I have been serving at the church we are at now for just over 1 year. Things at the church have gone well so far and I feel really good about the future of the church. Recently I have felt as God, is leading me to go full-time, after speaking with the deacons on Sunday night they feel the same way. I guess what I am looking for is advice to help me in the transition. The other thing is that I have a really good job and it is a job that most people would be glad to have, so this is a step of faith on my part and on the part of the church who has never had a full-time pastor.
    Thanks for any help you could offer.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are sure it is God that is leading you why are you still part time :laugh:

Seriously, I was being serious above. Just be sure the Lord wants this and do as He directs. Be sure it is His leading else when the finances are thin if they should ever be, you won't question your decision. (Not that you probably won't question the decision :)

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, I can tell you from the standpoint of the wife of someone who went through this - trust in the Lord's voice. If He's calling you to full-time service, He will provide the way.

My hubby was a computer engineer doing consulting for some of the top audio companies. He was making a very healthy salary and we were very happy in our lifestyle. God called him into the ministry and he started doing bi-vo for a couple of years as he trained in the ministry by the other ministers in our church and others outside our church (partnered with ours). He went full-time 5 years ago (I think) and God has been so evident in His faithfulness. We were able to keep our home (did NOT think this was possible since we live in a very expensive area with VERY high taxes), and even keep our hobby - a rather large sailboat. We were ready to sell it all and downscale our lives so that we would be able to survive and God has provided for us in amazing ways. Even if He didn't, I still know God's hand would have been in it.

If you feel that God is leading you to full time and the church feels the same thing, take that step of faith. It's amazing to see God work when we do. :)

4. Bama Fan1

Bama Fan1 New Member

Thank you very much for the encouragement and advice, God has never let me down and I know that everything will be just fine.