1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Advocating a spirit of evangelism in my church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, May 28, 2011.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I love The Way of the Master but notice that its mostly the evangelical fellowships that associate and teach the methods taught by Ray. I have tried t advocate WOTM at my church but with no success as I do not think most Fundamentalist fellowships associate with him, due to his view on separation and associations with questionable evangelical and charismatic leaders. That said I wonder if Mark Cahill will get a better reception among the Fundamentalist in trying to encourage a spirit of evangelism in my church. One Fundamentalist ministry (Chick Tracts) advertises his books in their catalog. One girl has said she would read one of his books that I will be giving her tomorrow.

What do you say?

John

2. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I read The Way of the Master and had no problem with it. But, I've never heard of Mark Cahill. Don't care much for Chick Tracks. I think the best way to foster a spirit of evangelism is through example. Many talk a big talk but I see very little if any action out of them. A fellow just left my church because he said we weren't evangelistic enough. Funny thing is that in the two years I've known him not one person we baptized came as a result of his supposed evangelistic efforts. Not even one person has come into the church to visit because of his supposed evangelistic efforts. Evangelism isn't really taught as much as it is caught. When church folks see people being saved, they hear the testimonies, etc., then they get excited and challenged and will begin to be obedient to share their faith.

#2 sag38, May 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2011
  3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's not used as the main evangelism training program in most IFB churches. Churches whom have no problem with him, sell his books in their store are not the same as using it as their training program. But Mark Cahill may get a better response.

4. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I'm not sure about your situation, but me and my church are SBC and use WOTM. In fact, we are partnering with another church today, and we are going out to the beach for street preaching and one-to-one.

Honestly, my problem is Mark Cahill. The big problem you will find with most WOTM people, is that they tend to be Calvinists. WOTM, did a wonderful job of uniting Cals/non-cals, and then Mark came in and re-inserted division in the body, by attacking his Calvinist brothers. He was also extremely dishonest about the way he went about it...thus, many in SBC and IFB churches who are (positively) familiar with WOTM, are also very down on Mark Cahill.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These events have nothing to do with the content in his books. I do not think I'd call WOTM Calvinist. He may be in some areas, but he does not make his views very well known in this area. The fact that he never speaks of the elect, and believes all man can be saved tells me that he denies limited atonement.

I am a friend of Mark and do agree he has allot of bitterness against calvinists. I tried to ignore it in his emails to me preious to tese attacks as he could not be reasned with.

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Awesome!!! I love to street preach! Ignore the people that tell you that tracts, and preaching are ineffective in todays world, and that you need to be a"friendship evangelist" to evangelize. This is not true.

7. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

WOTM itself is not explicitly Calvinist. Ray is basically a 4 pointer, but Kirk, Todd, and most of the rest are. Kirk, last time I checked, was a member of J.Mac.s church. Much of the teaching that it is based on (Spurgeon, Whitefield, etc.) is from Calvinists. Also, polls we have taken show that more than two thirds of the WOTM using evangelists are Calvinist.

My point was not that Ray was a Calvinist, though. My point was that he has done a fabulous job of uniting the brethren in evangelism, and brought them to overlook secondary doctrines. Cahill is seen, in the WOTM "circle", as one who is re-dividing the body, and undoing this work. So most who are well acquainted with and are positive towards Ray and WOTM, are also going to be negatively disposed to Cahill.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well as I am in a Fundamentalist circle the point is moot as WOTM is not exactly used in most Fundamentalist churches. As I said Cahill is highly endorsed by Chick Tracts, as this is a Fundamentalist ministry. My church is not on line with the KJVO Fundamentalist movement, but they are our brethren. That said I agree with WOTM, but see that its not a very common ministry Fundamentalist churches.