1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aerobic Exercise

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Gina B, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Just started a low-impact thingie yesterday. Equals one mile. Did it again this morning, then daughter and I did the tougher one. Years ago I used to do the high impact ones and loved it.

So after years of not doing this and being all careful and starting out slow, all I have to say is this:

OOOOOOWWWWWWCCCCHHHHHIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! MY HIPS!!!!!!!!!

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Yeah Gina for getting started (even if your hips are killing you!) :thumbsup:

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Can't really credit myself...gotta credit the doctor for getting me on the right mix of meds that let me actually be able to move for more than five seconds without tears or without sleeping 23 hours out of 24.

Hopefully I can get this one down and move on up. I got the kids doing it with me so we can encourage each other, although the one had me laughing so hard earlier today that my ribs starting hurting as much as my hips! :laugh:

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Congrats...and the soreness will become less and less as your muscles respond.

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That's the weird thing. There is no soreness except in my hips and it stops within seconds when I quit the two parts of the video that seem to affect them.

Maybe later when certain areas are targeted I'll experience that, but I chose the light aerobics to be able to get to that point...I'm not used to focused exercise anymore but I do get it...during the school year I walk quite a bit just to get around campus, lots of zoo trips and we don't use the tram, just walk, and when I take a break from high school and sub for elementary, it's usually for rhythms and if not, even a regular day calls for some degree of activity. Which I paid for dearly until these relatively new meds were prescribed.

So I dunno. I'm going to try a few more days to see if it's truly just from this being new or if I need to replace the moves that hurt with something else. The two that are doing this are lunges and kicking backwards, like you're kicking your rear. Those cause a lot of hip pain, while there's no hip pain with touching elbows to knees, grapevines, or side to side type aerobic moves.

Time will tell! In the meantime, it's fun to get back to something I once loved and start remembering the moves. And being able to tease my teens when they don't get some of them, hehe! They may be in wonderful shape and get to tease me on that, but mamma still can teach them some stuff about exercise. :thumbs:

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good for you, sister! [​IMG]

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your joint is taking a beating due to insufficient muscle development. As your muscles and ligaments around the joint strengthen it will take stress off of the joint. It could also be tendinitis, which woulld require a good stretching program and lots of ice. I would also recommend a good glucosamine / chondroitin / MSM supplement. My knees were screaming before taking this and a couple weeks later felt great. Give it at least a month to work, it helps to naturally lubricate and is an anti inflammatory

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try. My inflammation levels are insane, docs are trying to get it down but I forgot about adding that as a supplement.

9. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Gina, I know what pain you are going through.

Try this:

Your pain is coming from lunges (which I do, by the way, with dumbbells and in addition to barbell squats) and as you say you have joint pain.

Before you start your video, get some good blood flow into your hip area by doing some squats w/o weight. First go about parallel to the floor. Then go to parellel as you warm up. By parellel I mean the top of your thighs parallel with the floor. Just do a few of them and do like 3-5 sets or more if you can handle it. If you can do it, go below parallel a few reps, this is actually easier on the knees. This should prep your joints, muscles, hips for the workout.