1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Afraid of being known

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yesterday our preacher said in his sermon ...............

The NT scripture was of Christ demanding of the demon possessed that the demon leave and let them along.

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The demons in the NT accounts are malicious spirits that either trouble or possess individuals. They are not the burdens that people carry around with them.

Liberals. God help us.

3. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

I will point out that the demon in the passage is a evil spirit. But, with the metaphorical use of the word "demon", your pastor makes a great point.

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Unfortunately, Christians can be very condemning and judgemental in their attitude toward other Christians--especially with divorce. I was condemned in two Baptist churches for being divorced. The first time when I divorced my adulterous wife who after 5 years of adultery said to me "I won't change."

The second time was after my second wife divorced me after finding out I had faults and wasn't perfect like she was. :laugh:

The deacons in both churches didn't want me as the song leader any longer since I was divorced, but in both churches the pastor stood up for me. One even said that if I was removed as the song leader, he would resign as the pastor. I have no idea if he would have or not or was just bluffing, but I greatly appreciated his support.

Both pastors knew the situation in each case and knew that I was not to blame--other than choosing the wrong mate both times and not waiting on God for the one He wanted for me.

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Didn't your mother ever tell you that if you couldn't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all.

There is nothing wrong with what CTB's pastor preached. It had nothing to do with being a "liberal."

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Yes, there is something wrong with it. The method by which CTB's pastor refers to "demons that everyone carries on their backs" waters down the Scripture. In Scripture, these were literal demons. CTB's watering down would have people to believe that they were not literal. Anything that causes people to believe the Bible less literally is liberal.

7. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, the demon of not wanting to be really knows in a real demon, one that destroys some people. And as Jon-Marc showed from personal experience Christians can be very unforgiving when a person becomes known for their mistakes.

Jon-Marc I am truly sorry you were treated so badly. You may have been condemned by others, but never by Christ!

I know a good little church where you would have found understanding, acceptance and love. I hope you find one in your area.

#7 Crabtownboy, Feb 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not only that, but it removes the necessity of repentance.

God justifies the ungodly; He doesn't justify their ungodliness.