1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

African Excavations??

Discussion in 'Creation vs. Evolution' started by dianetavegia, Jun 13, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Our Catholic son in law, who doesn't believe dinosaur fossils are 'real' or that dinosaur's every existed now doesn't believe the Bible because of some excavation of a 'man' in Africa. I cannot find what he is talking about so I can respond.

Has anyone seen anything about this or have any info about this 'discovery' that will help me?

Thanks,
    Diane Tavegia

2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kathryn, You beat me to it, and your article is better. http://www.versiontech.com/origins/news/news_article.asp?news_id=181

The study of origins is not a field for the timid or weak. My fears regarding the insistence of believers on believing a 6-day/24;hour creation is that it makes people take a stand between what we see is truth in the world around us and what we believe is true through revelation. In this case he has turning his back on the Truth of the revealed Word because it disagrees with what he thinks is true.

My stand is that the two should eventually agree. I’m willing to wait and say, “I don’t know”! Helen’s beliefs (as well as many others of you) regarding the 6 day creation are different from mine but we all (probably) believe that science (what is observed) and the Bible (what is revealed) will eventually be found to be in full agreement.

I would timidly suggest reading a book by Ian Tattersall, (a prominent secular anthropologist) called The Fossil Record, How we know what we think we know about human evolution 1995, Oxford,University Press. I’ll warn you beforehand, it is a book written to instruct those interested in the field of human evolution and was expressly written to provide an account of the “quest to discover our ancient ancestors”. It will give you a general inkling of the topsy-turvy field of paleoanthopology.

The book helped me to realize that these so-called experts are making predictions based upon their preconceived models of evolution. In the preface Tattersall writes,
    He continues by writing:
    Paleoanthropologist are story-tellers. My fear is that the Discovery Special on cavemen will expose our kids to evolutionary “myths and endless genealogies”. It will present a profoundly moving and believable rendition of what a few men believe men looked like and behaved. It will expose our kids to the idea of the evolved man and open them up to further speculation in the future.

Rob

4. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Well said! I agree completely.

God Bless

5. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

YE creationism is a recent phenomenon. One of the worst things that can happen is when some person mistakes creationism for Christianity.

When that happens, they will often later find irrefutable evidence showing that it it wrong. Some of them will come to the foolish conclusion that the Bible is wrong, when in fact it was just them, putting man's doctrine over Gods.

Glen Morton discusses this happening to a number of geology graduates from the Institute for Creation Research, who later discovered everything they had been taught contrary to mainstream science was wrong. Several had crises of faith, and one apparently did lose his faith in God entirely.

6. WillRain

WillRain New Member

More from the same book:
    pg. 226-227

I've always argued that both sides were guided by their preconceptions, but evolutionists (of the lay type found on message boards) insist "NOOOOO! We only go whereever the evidence leads us!"
    Hogwash.
    pg. 165
    So much for "Just the facts, Ma'am."

pg. 159-160

Even the dear Dr Tattersall, though, is so married to his preconception of a naturalistic explination that while tossing aside one body of guesswork, he glooms onto another one.

But still, it's refreashing honesty. A step in the right direction.

7. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Obviously, the fact that scientists are willing to toss out old theories when they are shown to be wrong is adequate refutation of the idea that they are ruled by preconceptions.

I don't know of any scientist who says that they don't have any preconceptions.

But the facts clearly show that science progresses in spite of whatever preconceptions we might have.

Contrast this with creationism, which desperately attempts to change the facts to fit their preconceptions.

It's one of the major differences between science and creationism.

8. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're painting with a rather broad brush. Change does happen within YE creationist organizations; read about the Canopy theory in Morris' Genesis Flood and the change of position regarding it now after the physics of a canopy collapsed. http://www.icr.org/research/lv/lv-r05.htm They are no longer looking up for the flood waters but down (plate techtonics).

So there is change within YE creationist organizations, slow change but change none the less!

Preconceptions plague us all, Evolutionists, Old earth creationists and Young earth creationists. We all need to be alert and examine what we bring to the table and see if our bias' measure up to what the Word of God says they should be.

And we need to know that all the facts are not before us, there is still so much to learn.

Rob

9. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

True. And at one time, YE creationists were adamant that scripture forbids spedciation. And now even new families are considered to have evolved by them. So they have come a considerable way.

And some scientists hold longer to a theory than others.

But there remains a difference. Science is much more inclined to change as evidence demands.

10. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

This is precisely the problem with the YEC point of view. Sooner or later a lot of people come to realize its scientifically untenable and have a crisis of faith. That, and the fact that many who would otherwise consider the message of the church are turned off by the emphasis on disbelieving what they already know to be true. Blessed are they whom God leads through this crisis, and may the Lord grant that some of them will find the way to keep in fellowship with Him through whatever means He please to use, including discussions like this on this board.

11. Peter101

Peter101 New Member

>>>>>>>>Our Catholic son in law, who doesn't believe dinosaur fossils are 'real' or that dinosaur's every existed now doesn't believe the Bible because of some excavation of a 'man' in Africa. I cannot find what he is talking about so I can respond.<<<<<<

I don't understand how your son in law can reject dinosaur fossils but accept human fossils. But be that as it may, there is a long and famous history of finding human and near human fossils in Africa. You need only to use a major search engine, such as google, to find tons of information. It is remarkable how you and so many other creationists know so little about this history.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Also, at one time, YE creationists were adamant that microevolution was false. Today it's undeniable, so YE creationists have had to accept it.