1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured After Church Crowd at Restaurants

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Apr 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Absolutely! Excellent post!

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have seen the opposite be true. Because the waitresses and waiters observed the behavior of Christians there were those who had a different opinion of Christians. One time when I was in college my roommates and I went to a restaurant we often went to and observed a difference in the lay who usually waited on us. When we told her that her response was, "really." Then we went on to tell hear the difference we saw. She told us that she had just become a Christian.

I have worked in retail and wholesale for many years and can tell you what I have observed. Some of the best customers were those living for Christ and some of the worst were the legalists. When observed other places their stripes remained the same.

At one time my wife was a waitress and we never come with a bad attitude. When we walk into a restaurant the people know us after we have been there awhile. Those who serve us are people and have bad days too. When we care about them and brighten their day it makes a difference in their lives. Sometimes they will never forget.

The question is do we come to serve or to be served?

Mark 10:45, "For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

God's word never fails contrary to your claims. You stand against what He says I stand with what He says, but your way is the liberal way.

4. Ed B

Ed B Member

Along this line, a few years ago one of the regular waitresses who normally served the "Saturday morning men's breakfast" was out sick for a few weeks. For context, she is 50ish and her household would be considered low-income. We heard about her prolonged illness and had flowers sent to her home with a get well soon card. When she returned to work and saw us, she was grateful to the point of tears. It was a humbling experience for me and showed how such a small act of kindness can have such a significant positive impact on a person. In hind-sight it might have been better to send a really big tip :) but we didn't think of it at the time.

#84 Ed B, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2012
  5. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Rude people who expect class-A service are deceiving themselves if they think they'll get it.

The wait staff always has the last laugh when they spit in your food.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

An employer once told me that he hires for the things you cannot train.

You are so right though. When people come to me with an attitude I avoid them or give them a much higher price. Typically people with a bad attitude are much worse to work for and the job takes longer.

7. mandym

mandym New Member

Uh, she never claimed that. You are now guilty of being a false witness. You want people on this board to die, you accuse them falsely and your overall attitude is pure hatred. Shame on you.

8. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

It'll fall on deaf ears.

9. mandym

mandym New Member

I know but it should be said by all anyhow.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hmm - you can't argue can you? Christians die of starvation. You say God would never let a Christian starve. So who's right? Hmm - maybe the truth?

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I hate that!! I've heard of Christians giving tracts instead of a tip and I want to slap them upside the head!

13. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Unless a tenner is included, more harm to the Cause of Christ than good.

14. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Believe me, they are the laughingstock of the food service industry. Tracts are useless.

And it seems to me that it is a manifestation of grace to tip properly even when you perceive the server doesn't deserve this. How quick we are to preach grace and how much we resist showing it in the most practical of ways. Christians in our culture have a strange desire to point out what other people have done wrong and carry out our warped brand of justice upon them.

This is one of those cases. Show more than mercy - show grace even when you don't think it's deserved.

15. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

At least she has one. This is not just about tips. It is about demanding, arrogant, demeaning church members expecting to have the red carpet rolled out for them at O'Charleys after church.

16. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Do you carry this over to other business arrangements? If you contracted a plumber to come to your house and do a re-pipe, and he botched the job, would you still pay him his fee? How about if you contracted a mechanic to fix your car and he didn't fix it? Would you still pay him?

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What is your definition of a liberal way, not agreeing with you? I find your posts to be obnoxious and very unedifying. I can picture clearly a pitcher of tea being poured over your head at a restaurant.

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Christians should be generous in all ways, including tips. Having said that, you could always do what I do after church and go home and eat a peanut butter sandwich. :tongue3:
    I can't afford to eat out as often as you guys.

19. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Matt you ask a good question. I can take you too, that some churches and pastors that have had trouble with other types of work and ended up in court or settled before court right there in J-ville.

For most of my adult life I have had to eat two to three meals a day in restaurants and with my wife having had a restaurant for about 12 years
    I don't go out and eat more than one or two times a year. Never have went out after church on Sunday to eat. For me the best food in home cooked.

On tips, depends on where the restaurants are located and which meals. In down town office areas for breakfast and lunch for the most part it is the women who don't tip or don't tip well and want so much more service.
    Wife said teachers, professors, women and office workers were the ones for lunch her people didn't care to serve, supper was older folks, college kids, families with two or more kids and groups of females together. Males will either see who is the bigger tipper or who is the cheapest.

Wife tells me that truck stops have some real good tippers, leave a dollar or two for coffee. She would lose help from time to time when the local truckstop had an opening, the young ladies would tell her they could make a lot more money there. I know I have left my share of tips at truck stops over the years.

#99 Bob Alkire, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
  20. 12strings

12strings Active Member

I think it's a matter of scale, and a matter of the fact that service is somewhat less quantifiable than construction work.

Here's the real question, if the plumber does the job, but does it slower than he should have, and is not very nice to you, but get's the job done, do you still pay him?

Even really bad servers (in most cases) do actually bring you food and drink. Some may just be slower, or less friendly while they do it. We should be willing to give grace to people who may be having a bad day.

If your plumber came in stressed out about a family crisis, and was somewhat distracted, and not very energetic in his work, but eventually got the job done, we would usually be happy just to have the job done.

#100 12strings, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.