1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

After leavin Mormonism, I did some research

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by behindzioncurtain, Jun 24, 2005.

1. behindzioncurtain

behindzioncurtain New Member

Historical Christianity
    I have been asked several times. "If not Mormonism, than what, and why?"
    I have done a lot of research since leaving the LDS church as to what else is there.
    To the LDS, the Church of Christ fell into complete apostacy, and there was nothing left after, until Joseph Smith restored the church in 1830.
    I have thought to myself. There would have to be a few conditions met to make the true.
    1- That Christ's promise that "the gates of Hades shall not prevail against (the church)" was not fulfilled. Matthew 16:17-19
    2- That the priesthood in which Joseph Smith said that he restored, was actually lost.
    3- That Joseph Smith's church actually reflects Christ's church.
    First, here are some links that I found regarding the contiuence of Christ's church from the beginning to now.
    http://www.baptistpillar.com/bd0547.htm
    http://members.citynet.net/morton/baptist.htm
    http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/anabapt.htm
    http://www.ritchies.net/p4wk4.htm
    Now as for the structure and the teachings. That obviously is more in depth. The articles that I listed had many good points.
    But I will make a few of my own.
    As in the days of Christ's church, during the apostle's ministries, the holy place was in the temple made not with hands: Mark 14:58
    Apostles met in each others homes, and gathered new believers there as well.
    They taught the principles of the gospel there, and for new believers they offered baptism in the river to show the commitment of the new member to the rest of the community, and to be obiedent to Christ.
    They taught faith would save a man, that it is not the faith of the man, but the faith that Christ had in us to begin with that would prevail.
    That it is not our works, but that we were made to be in good works of Christ.
    Following faith and being therefore bound to salvation.
    "My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand." John 10:29
    Those who were merely disciples would be sent out, at which point they would take on the task of "the great commission" in which Christ told us to teach the gospel to all. Those who were "sent out" were called apostles.
    1 Cortinthians 12 gives a guide to understanding spiritual gifts, and the structure of the Body of Christ.
    We find in Hebrews 7 (and the following chapters to 11) that Christ is the High Priest, so the animal sacrifices of old have been paid for by His blood, and since he carries on forever, the high priest's job is taken care of forever since He lives forever to make intercession for us. Hebrews 7:27
    So the church lives under His grace, his direction, and his revelation.
    Since He lives in every believers heart via the Holy Spirit, the decernment and revelation is given on an individual basis.
    2 Corinthians 6:16
    Why not a different religion? I actively searched and participated in several New Age type of religions, like Wicca/Druidism, and spiritual conciousness types. I also tried Krishna/Hinduism. None of them fit like the Holy Spirit.
    A good reference for the key principles of salvation:

http://www.av1611.org/etern.html

2. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

May I ask what helped you the most in journeying out of Mormonism and into Christ?

I ask that others may learn from your testimony.

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Discussion of the OP will continue only so long as it involves Baptist history.

Discussion of Mormonism in a theological context must be taken elsewhere.

Thank you,

rsr

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Maybe a moderator could move this to its own thread on the Other Religions forum?

5. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if 1) the original poster asks or 2) it devolves into a theological debate.

rsr

6. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

rsr,

My apologies for my queston - I hadn't considered it was the history forum when I asked my question. Though I hope the poster will take it to one of the forums here for such discussions.

My daughter's mission field is to cults, specifically to the Mormon Cult, and I always like to learn what helped show the light of Christ to Mormons who came to Christ.

7. behindzioncurtain

If this post must be moved to further discuss Mormonism, I would be elated to see this conversation move to somewhere more appropriate.

Could a moderator complete this task?

Thank you

8. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    A copy has been moved to the Missions Forum.

9. behindzioncurtain

Thanks, I didn't know where to move the thread.
    This seems like a good place.
    -----

Quote TexasSky "May I ask what helped you the most in journeying out of Mormonism and into Christ?

I ask that others may learn from your testimony."

I wrote my testimony at: http://www.behindzioncurtain.com/mystory

It is quite long, and wouldn't fit into this message board. I hope that gives you more understanding in to the decision that I made.

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who care to know, I do not plan on editing the previous content of this thread. I believe in letting words (unless in violation of the Posting Rules) stand for themselves.

11. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Thank you. [​IMG]

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

13. behindzioncurtain

14. Randy Highsmith

Randy Highsmith New Member

behindzioncurtain

Thanks for your testimony and the links. It is very important to understand these cults and what they teach so we can witness to them effectively.

My pastor has several studies on Answering Mormons and Answering Jehovah's Witnesses. If anyone is interested it http://www.fellowshiponline.org/bib.html It is about three quarters down the page.

Another great place in understanding what Mormons teach and believe is http://www.carm.org/mormon.htm the Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry.

Blessings,
    Randy

15. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

i did a two week study on Mormonism as well as a one week study on JW's over the last few weeks complete with a biblical response. I do have the powerpoint slides available if anyone is interested, just email me and let me know.

bobbyd

16. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Update, i have also taught on Muslims, Scientology and will be looking at Christ Scientists this week. All of these will have powerpoint slides available.

17. Randy Highsmith

Randy Highsmith New Member

I would be interested in looking at those studies. Do you have them posted somewhere?

Thanks,

18. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

sorry, i haven't posted them anywhere yet...but i do have them available as powerpoint slides if you are interested, send me an PM with your email addy.
    Actually...i may go ahead and put them into a brief case on yahoo; i'll get back to you on that. let me know if you want them sent to you none the less