1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

After the Sunday Service has ended 2

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ben W, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Going on from our recent thread on what we chat about after we have been to the Sunday Service at church, I would like to put something up for a friendly discussion.

I noticed that there were not really any responses, and mine also included where it was said that we talked about what God was doing in our lives and how we are growing in our Christian faith. Rather we go the friendly discussion about families or sports or stuff like that.

What I am suggesting, is why not this Sunday, go along to church, and after the Sunday service talk to someone about what God is doing in either yours or their life.

I wonder what the reaction would be from those around you if that happend? Would one person testifying to Gods grace, power and mercy in their lives cause others to follow?

Why not try it and find out?

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I think it would be a good idea to try - but we may have to attempt it a few times. What I mean is that the first time we suggest it, we may be met with blank stares! It sometimes takes a few times before church people get the idea!

3. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

At a church that I used to be a member, we had gathered in the fellowship hall for a covered-dish dinner immediately following the morning service. I began discussing the morning sermon and the bible scriptures references. The member that I was talking to said that this wasn't really the place and time to discuss that type of stuff. I haven't met too many that really enjoy discussing the Bible outside a Sunday School or Bible Study session. I enjoy discussing the Bible when fishing, golfing, and most anything else that I may be doing at the time.

4. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Doesnt that seem a little weird that a discussion on the morning service is viewed in a manner of hushed tones and uncomfortable glances? I am well sure that this would be the case in any church I have been a part of.

The question is, Why?

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have found the majority of people are quite uncomfortable with that kind of discussion.

6. williemakeit

williemakeit New Member

Why? That's a tough one. Could it be the lack of being sold out to Christ? When I was walking in the world, I was never embarrassed about the dirty jokes, vulgarity, or other things related to that walk. Now that I have a different walk, I am just as sold out about my life in Christ. I remember an old Army buddy telling me that I was the last person he ever expected to 'get religion'. Within a little while, he was also enjoying the same walk. To him that little is given, little is expected in return. To him that much is given, much is expected in return. Those that are hesitant to discuss how great Christ is, maybe don't know how great he really is. Of course, this doesn't mean they are any less saved than I am.

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

gb I have found the same thing, not sure what the answer is, but that is true.

8. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

I'm having a different experience...nobody looks uncomfortable talking about the things of God...that is unless they are asked to contribute to the conversation. But by and large, they're coming out of it. There are now several that enjoy talking about the lessons and sermons. The others are generally good-natured about it, but prefer (as has been mentioned) to talk about something else.

9. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

How and when do you do this in your service or ministry?

10. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Well, there's a round table in my small town where I meet a lot of town folk for breakfast on Monday morning. Several of our attenders go there, as do many other "well-wishers." Not all of these are church folk. I find it to be a great opportunity. With only two exceptions, I've had each of these guys in church now!

I repeat this on Thursday morning on the other side of the street (the competing restaurant round table). I'm blessed to have secular employment that allows for this.

Also, I visit in member's homes, and note the conversation. Some want to talk about my last sermon, and others want to talk about sports, hunting, or their grandson serving in the military!

11. Mommyperson

Mommyperson New Member

I asked at one of the Sunday gatherings and I've found that there are some people who don't completely absorb all that's said at the time. They need time to absorb and give thought to as well as how to apply what was taught after the Sunday sermon.
    That may be WHY they are a bit ill at ease with discussions right afterward.

Ask why and see what answers YOU get.

I kinda got tired of some saying ,"This isn't the right time to discuss the sermon."In my opinion, I thought it was the perfect time, but there are some people who prefer or need to read the Bible and pray to find clear understanding.

12. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

What I wonder is say a week later, how many really remember the title and content? How many people really do go away and study it for themselves?