1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Against Homeschooling?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Don, Mar 11, 2008.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Jesus gave the plan and its implementation. We do not supercede Jesus. Jesus gave the instructions and provided the example of how it’s done. The proof is always in the fruit not in ideas on a page. So God bless you as you go and make disciples.

Exactly my point. So what makes you think that as an individual you can provide everything your children need and that home schooling your children is perfect? Is that not placing a lot of responsibility on yourself and acting as God too.

I feel sorry for you that you would get so easily angered when someone tries to challenge you. Is it possible that you went to the local school with the same attitude? Remember what the Bible says about anger and achieving the righteousness of God. Does it not also say something about your capacity to love in accordance with 1 Cor. 13 where it talks about not being easily angered and in James about being quick to listen?

Proverbs 17:10, "A rebuke goes deeper into one who has understanding than a hundred blows into a fool."

You should always resent an exaggeration or lie. You are making an assumption by assuming I am a liar. Certainly if I am assuming what you suggest could you quote where I wrote that?

Certainly I cannot possibly know every homeschooler. So quit exaggerating (the truth tainted with a lie). “All” includes over 6 billion people. It would be impossible for me to assume such a stupid thing. Could you quote me where I wrote or implied that all homeschoolers are lazy and not soul winners? It would be impossible for me to make such a statement even from my own experience. Even though I lived in a community that had many home schoolers surrounding me I saw a lot of interesting things all in the name of God with ill effects.

The Bible never commands one to be a soul winner but rather make disciples. Over the years I have met with quite a number of homeschoolers to disciple them, so I think I know more about them than you give me credit for. Some homeschoolers are our friends and family. Even my sister home schooled her daughter and the child married a non-Christian. She did not home school any of the other children and they married Christians. If home schooling was a guarantee, then some of the things I have seen would have never happened. We homeschool and send our daughter to school. A superintendent told me years ago that there was no possible way for them to educate my daughter like she should be considering her capabilities. In kindergarten she was already writing in paragraphs. Later she won a writing contest at the school. In fourth grade she won the spelling bee in grades 1-8. So we worked with her at home too. Explain to me how home schooling would have been superior to that and public school be inferior.

Out of the home schooled kids I have watched, some of their kids have left the faith. I knew one who became a Mormon. I was able to talk with her and she came back to the Christian faith. I watched as one child ended up in jail. I watched another drop out of college because she could not handle the differences. I had another come ot my door and asked me how to share his faith. The fact is that the mother came by my house to discuss what she could do about her daughter. They had been teaching their children about the ills of the local school instead of reaching kids and letting their kids see reality. They were part of the same people who told us about sending our daughter to the public school was like sending her to hell.

Your effort to try and ensure that your kids will not leave the faith or ever accept your faith is to assume you are better than Jesus. Judas never accepted Christ and even betrayed Jesus. There is no promise against such a thing. Proverbs are simply principles not promises.

Personally I think that many homeschoolers have admirable goals but are misled into thinking they can guarantee their child’s protection from harm. I think it is often quite the opposite. It has provided for many discussions in our home. Recently my daughter was awarded a huge scholarship to a very prestigious university and turned it down because I contacted a friend of mine who knew about the university and told me how secularized it was. If that does not get me excited then not much else will.

Could you quote me where I mentioned or suggested that you were not learning? If you are so eager to see change in the world then why not go mix with them and influence society in positive ways so that Christ is glorified. Get a degree and credential and then you can teach kids each day and show them the way Christ commands. It would be an encouragement to Christian kids and influence non-Christians kids and their families. I can give you numerous stories of lives that have been changed because of Christian teachers in the public schools. I am one of them. I was greatly influemced by a teacher who was a Christian and later a Christian student.

In the first church I pastored there was a lady who brought it to my attention about something that a teacher required her junior year students to read in her English classes at the high school. I brought it to the attention of the church and local pastors. We brought it to the attention of the superintendent and then the school board. Nothing was done until the local news in a town of close to a million got ahold of it. Immediately, something was done after it got on the local news. However, not one pastor in the area would join us. Most of the locals pastors I contacted claimed that it would do no good and it would harm the church. The church I was pastoring grew with many great people. One by one God gave us great leaders who were willing to do something. That little church that had gotten as low as 10 is now thriving and has the largest plot of ground in the area. God gave us everything. We prayed and God eventually blessed way beyond what we could have imagined.

It is not my religion. It is the God of the Bible that makes the difference. We are to point people to God, not ourselves. John said that Jesus must increase and he must decrease. Children need to be in the world and learn how to share their faith and make a difference. In fact, I do find it is the children who are usually not afraid, but rather their parents. Children are taught to be afraid and not trust God by the conduct and words of their parents.

In the 2/25/2008 issue of Time, an article stated that there are 3.2 million teachers working in the public schools. 2.8 million is the estimated number of new hires needed by 2015. Imagine what it would look like if the 2.8 million came from God fearing, growing, evangelical, disciplemaking Christians? In Vista, CA the Christians did something about their local schools. They voted Christians into the school board. Why let the world vote in their proponents when we have the liberty to vote in God fearing Christians who may influence the school for good.

What do you think would happen in America if every school board member and every teacher was a Christian who regularly prayed for every student?

Take a look at http://www.bibleteacher.org/Dm118_8.htm

and http://www.abcog.org/moody.htm

2. JerryL

JerryL New Member

That'll Preach!!

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I'm all for home school but each parent has to do what they feel is best for their children.

I have used public school some on my first two children ( one is 43 and the other 37 years old) and Christian School and have home schooled. Our youngest is 12 years old and she has been home schooled only.

My oldest and I were talking a few weeks ago and she was telling me how few of the kids she knew when she was in here teens are still married to there first spouse and how few are active in a church or even go to church. Many have done well as far as income and their jobs, everything from doctors to college professors to school teachers to entrepreneurs and everywhere in between. I checked with my son and he gave the same type of answer of the teen he knew but the ones from the Christian School he went to, all are active in a church and seem to be living for the glory of God, except for two of them.

So as a pastor told me when I was a young man, your children aren't angels, he knew the blood line they came out of and knew their parents. When our children are sending their children to college we can get a better look at how well we did with our children. So time well tell.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I can remember the time that I was told that a lady helping out in the youth group was going to divorce her husband. The deacons got mad at me because I confronted her about that.

Funny you should mention such a thing. Last year a man and I talked on the phone. I met him when he was a sophomore in college but had not grown in the church where he became a Christian. Now he is involved with the Navigators and he told me that he cannot think of one person he has known over the years who was involved in the Navigators who has left the faith. Yet when I look back on my days from seminary and church I can think of some who have gotten into trouble doctrinally and some who have left the faith. The big difference is in making disciples. If we make disciples we teach them to follow Christ not just be good church goers. All of those in the Navigators were involved in the military or a college at the time.

Going to church is much like a car being parked in a garage. It is ineffective until it gets outside and does some work.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I agree!! That is why we all need a church that teaches sound doctrine. I know many who came to know Christ as their Savior at home or work or play or SS and very few at church service. But a good church is a great place to build disciples.

6. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

Gb, I just want to say that you are right about saying that homeschooling does not insure that the children will grow up to be a godly, well educated individual. I think that needs to be pointed out. I know some homeschool parents who have an avoidance ethic. Their Christianity consists of avoiding that which is evil, not doing that which is good. Just being removed from the evil environment won't insure godliness.