1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

age for baptism

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Deborah B., Oct 2, 2004.

1. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

Hello everyone.

My 6-year-old son wants to get baptized. He is very, very close to Jesus and loves Him with all of his heart. He always has been close to Him, even before I was saved (praise Jesus!) and started attending church. He even says that God has talked to him, and I really believe him becaise he knew things about God, Jesus, ressurection, salvation, Heaven, angels, etc. before we even took him to church for the first time. For a 6-year-old boy he really lives his life that I believe is pleasing to God. So my question is, do you think he is old enough to be baptized. I have talked with him and he understands the meaning and purpose of baptism (proclamation that he accepts Jesus as his personal Savoir, He died for our sins, etc.). He has no other friends that are being baptized, he just wants to do it on his own, not because others are.

Opinions?????

Because of Christ, my Savior and my Lord! Praise Jesus! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Deborah

2. athanaseusperez

athanaseusperez New Member

If he is old enough to be saved , and he understood the gospel message than why would you be wondering if he is old enough to be baptized?

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most churches have a minimum age or number of classes (instruction to be sure they understand) for children.

Six is young (from my 34 years of pastoral experience) but occasionally there is a 6 year old who shows understanding and maturity.

4. delly

delly New Member

I think kids can understand salvation at 6. Some kids are more mature and perceptive at earlier ages. My bosses grandson is 5 going on 25. He understands the message of salvation and has already accepted Jesus as his Savior and has been baptised.
    Since you know your son already understands what it means to be saved and be baptized, I see no that he shouldn't be.
    The fact that it isn't peer pressure is a good sign. I went down that road when I was 9 and it took me 26 years to realize that I was lost and had only been following my sister and friends at 9.

5. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

If he has salvation he's old enough to be Baptized. I personally would let him do it if you are SURE of his Spirtiual State.