1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Age for Baptism

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by GBC Pastor, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Scriptural presidence is immediate Baptism

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    About the same. We talk about our doctrinal positions and which ones are non-negotiable: inerrancy of Scripture, creation as told in genesis 1-2, virgin birth, sinless life, substtitutionary death, physical literal resurrection 2nd coming. By the way, we don't insist on such issues as Calvinism and pre-mill, pretrib. We talk with them about the responsibilities of a church member such as attendance, giving and ministry as well as contributing to the fellowship of the church. And then we vote on it. Because we do that, we now have very few inactive members.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

The youngest I've ever baptized were six years old. And, I'll have to say that I was very careful. But, I did find that these few children had more knowledge and understanding than some of my long term church members seem to have when it comes to knowing Jesus. So, I don't think it so much of age as it is demonstrating a spiritual awareness and understanding of what it means to become a follower of Jesus Christ.

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't yet met a child under the age of thirteen or so who met all of the criteria for a baptism candidate.

I baptised a twelve year old once because I was talked into it, but I didn't feel good about it and, sure enough, we never saw him again.

I just can't imagine that a four year old would be an acceptable baptism candidate.