1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Age of Accountability

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Zenas, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Sorry If I linked my post to the wrong person. I am fighting some stomach pain now for several days an it is making me goofy.

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

This is the same time as what Numbers 14:29 is addressing.

3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Right you are...I said that. Why? Because Deu 1:39 is talking about something else...right?

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's intresting to note the meaning of Bar or bat mitzvah. Please note that this is something Christ took part in.

According to jewish law when jewish children reach 13 years of age for boys and 12 years of age for girls, they become responsible for their actions, and become a "Bar or Bat Mitzvah"
    This comes after training they aren't expected to know the difference between right and wrong with out being taught. For that matter how could they know. Those who would condemn a child to hell for something they have not been taught about might wind up in hell them selves.
    MB

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

I have answered this before. What did God curse in the garden? THE GROUND. There is not one word of God cursing man's moral nature here or anywhere else in scripture. Imagine that, your doctrine is based on something that is never mentioned in scripture, NOT EVEN ONCE.
    This curse extends over all creation, everything was corrupted. Everything waxes old and fades away. This curse does extend to us, we all begin to die the moment we are born. Babies are born under this curse. Jesus died and shed his blood to take away this curse brought by sin. So babies are saved by God's grace.

6. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Age of Accountability for what? I may have missed it but I have not seen the question asked in the word of God. If you die today do you know you will go to heaven? Jesus came preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God and saying repent and believe the gospel. He also said that which is born of the flesh is flesh. How many of you know someone and talk to them from time to time that is not flesh? Paul said flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God. Jesus also said that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. That one has to be born again to enter or see the kingdom of God. What is the difference in entering and inheriting?

Is it about dying and going somewhere or is it about being being born into the kingdom of God?

I would say it doesn't matter what age you die at but when you do you must be born again.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

We are born again by our faith in Christ. We must be able to know right from wrong, recognize we are sinners, and trust in Christ for salvation. An infant is incapable of that. How then is he born again?

#27 Amy.G, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
  8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Let's use your analogy so if a child of twelve does not understand sin then those who are in certain parts of the world and have never heard about sin don't know either no matter what age they are and they too should just be ushered in to heaven.
    The problem here is that our sins is not what condemns us. We are born in a dead state because of Adams sin. What you should also know is that the bar/bat mitzvah was never God ordained. it was a Jewish tradition that they dreamed up. it has nothing to do with scripture. In the Bible, a man reached the age of majority at age 20, when he was eligible for war and taxation. In talmudic times, the age of majority was moved to 13, but God did not ordain any such move.
    Those who follow the bar/bat mitzvah teach that their children do not have to obey the commands although they do encourage them to. it is a Jewish ceremony that has nothing to do with any scripture, but that should not be a surprise to anyone.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How do we know that an infant is incapable of faith?

10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My question is this: If God does not hold sin against a very young child, why did He command the slaughter of those who are innocent? Did not God direct many of His followers to kill even the infants and pregnant women of certain peoples? If they were innocent, then God was wrong.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Amy I would say absolutely no. If an infant was born again then they would loose the new birth at a certain age which some call the age of accountability and have to be born again, again. I am not saying that there is no provision, but there certainly is no provision given under the system that God gave to man for salvation.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Were your children capable of understanding the gospel at birth?

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I see many people today with a boldness like this who think they can condemn God. Certainly we are in the last days! They also have some scenario that they give to make God look evil if He does not follow their thinking process, but the truth is that even the most precious baby has evil in them. Sin is not learned, it is natural. While certain types of sin are learned and we also learn to escalate it, but the foundation is there from birth. No one has ever had to teach their child to rebel. We are born in sin and there is no biblical teaching that a person can escape without repentance and faith.

#33 freeatlast, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
  14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do not know because they were not able to communicate with me but I would not put it past God to have a way that a small child could understand the truth on their own level through enlightenment from God.

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If that is the case then no one should have to get saved at an older age unless you are suggesting that they somehow lose their salvation at a certain age.

16. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

The reason I posted this question is that I am having a hard time making it all fit together. We can say children are innocent of sin (although not entirely free of sin). Mark 10:15. Therefore, we can assume that God takes these children to Heaven if they die. However, there comes a time when they lose their innocence and enter into the “age of accountability.” This does not happen overnight but will often take a few years. Yet there must come an instant in time when God no longer regards that child as innocent. It can’t happen gradually like coming to the age of accountability—the child either goes to Heaven or he does not. He could die on Feb. 11 and go to Heaven, but on Feb. 12 he would go to Hell unless he had previously received Christ.

That being the case, and it must be if we believe in an age of accountability, it would seem we should encourage very young children to receive Christ even if they can’t fully comprehend what they are doing. Am I missing something here?

17. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No - no one can lose it. However, I do believe that God can do anything - including allowing a child to have faith.

18. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, the one fault here is how can a child receive Christ if they don't know who or what they are putting their faith in? So if they cannot fully comprehend what they are doing, then they are not truly saved.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

One of my favorite things that God has said to man is "let us reason together". We know what faith is, and what is required. It defies reason to think an infant can have faith.

20. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, then they go to hell.

But I do think that God can allow an infant or a person who is mentally disabled to have faith. Maybe it's not the perfectly adult faith but it is the faith that matters none-the-less.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.