1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Agree Or Disagree?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Cutter, May 26, 2010.

1. Cutter

Cutter New Member

The following was written by a retired Minister in Tennessee.

"THE OLD PATHS

I liked the old paths, when
    Moms were at home.
    Dads were at work.
    Brothers went into the army.
    And sisters got married BEFORE having children!

Crime did not pay;
    Hard work did;
    And people knew the difference.

Moms could cook;
    Dads would work;
    Children would behave.

Husbands were loving;
    Wives were supportive;
    And children were polite.

Women wore the jewelry;
    And Men wore the pants.

Women looked like ladies;
    Men looked like gentlemen;
    And children looked decent.

People loved the truth,
    And hated a lie.

They came to church to get IN,
    Not to get OUT!

Hymns sounded Godly;
    Sermons sounded helpful;
    Rejoicing sounded normal;
    And crying sounded sincere.

Cursing was wicked;
    Drugs were for illness;
    And divorce was unthinkable.

The flag was honored;
    America was beautiful;
    And God was welcome!

We read the Bible in public;
    Prayed in school;
    And preached from house to house.

To be called an American was worth dying for;
    To be called an American was worth living for;
    To be called a traitor was a shame!

I still like the old paths the best!"

2. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I agree with all of that.

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I wouldn't dare judge a mom for working. I'm fine with people choosing to go into the army, but I wouldn't say it was best for brothers (or sisters) to be in the service. Of course it's best if children have the benefit of being born in wedlock, but all children are gracious gifts. They (and their parents) deserve (and need) the support of society, and in particular, the Church.

Okay.

Wow - I like cooking. Does that make me less of a man? My wife works. Does that make her less of a woman?

Husbands should be supportive and wives should be loving, too. Children should be polite, but not repressed.

This is just strange. Is it okay for me to wear a wedding ring? If jewelry on men isn't okay, maybe I should wear a wedding necktie instead. Suggesting women can't wear pants is legalistic and ridiculous. Don't like 'em, don't wear 'em. But shut your mouth.

Pretty subjective.

He shouldn't be ridiculous. There have always been people who loved lies and hated truth. It's called sin. It's been around a while.

Okay.

Okay. Not sure hymns were any more Godly then than now.

Cursing, well, I wrote elsewhere about that and it almost got me excommunicated. Drugs are bad, except for the good ones. Divorce is not God's best, but there were also a lot of people (mostly women) who stayed in abusive marriages then, too. Divorce is tragic and is never a good thing, but in some sad instances it is necessary. Instead of judging, the Church needs to reflect God's love and grace to people who are already hurting and scarred.

The flag is a piece of cloth and a symbol for a strong, but imperfect earthly kingdom. Let's not forget where our allegiance should be.

Okay...I know some people who do the house-to-house thing even today. I also teach elementary in an underprivileged area and know that prayer is still in schools. That can't be taken away. Nor does mandating it change anyone's heart.

To be called a Christian is worth dying for and to be called a Christian is worth living for. You can take me out of the U.S. and you can take the U.S. out of me. I am in Christ and he is in me for all eternity.

I think this has little to do with Christ and more to do with an older person yearning for the good old days and being pejorative as many people tend to be about those kinds of things. I'll probably understand the feeling eventually.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Would this be the same America where a black man could not join his white friend at a lunch counter?

5. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Don't be silly! Back then a white man would never befriend a man of color.

6. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Sad that race has to even be brought up since the OP did not even address it, unless you are suggesting that these old paths could not or should not be observed by all races.

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank, Roger, you make the point better than me. Matthew Henry says, "We must not be guided merely by antiquity, as if the plea of prescription and long usage were alone sufficient to justify our path. No; there is an old way which wicked men have trodden,,," Job 22:15.

.................................................................................

Cutter, I could not agree nor disagree. Certainly there were some things on that list that are good and Godly ideas and some that are just traditional and people's preferences.

Is the author getting the term "old paths" from Jeremiah 6:16? If so, I do not believe that this is talking about cultural traditions and customs. God is asking His people to walk in righteousness and holiness. (See Hebrews 11 for the "old path". It was faith brought about by obedience.)

Just my two cents, brother.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Simple question. You can't pick and choose historical facts. Was that a part of these marvelous days or not?

9. Cutter

Cutter New Member

[attack snipped]

#9 Cutter, May 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2010
  10. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Much to agree with, much to disagree with.

I don't believe the reference to men wearing the pants was about women wearing skirts. I believe it meant men ruled the roost.

I would say that in general, the world would be a better place with moms at home and men at work, children eating home cooked from scratch meals rather than the garbage often tossed to them today, and the sense of self reliance and family pride that used to exist.

I would also say we don't need to go back to racism, sexism, ageism, or any other way of making one person or group "less than" another person or group.

I see nothing wrong with gents in wedding rings, but I do think we need to return to gender specific clothing and adornment. Please note, that can be handled by her jeans having pretties on them, and him refusing to by those pink and lavender tee shirts at wallyworld. Unless he's a pirate, skip the earring and gold chains around his neck. He doesn't need a pony tail and she shouldn't get a buzz cut.

I still think hymns, choruses, spiritual songs, whatever should teach something about God rather than rant on and on endlessly about the person singing. That eliminates some old as well as some new music.

I think the over all tone of the poem is a plea for a return to what was seen as a disciplined life.

And I think we could use that.

11. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a time you could hear songs about Jesus being sung on network television.

Youtube

Youtube

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

So I guess the answer is yes? The idyllic world you speak of was the place where a black man could not join his friend at a lunch counter.

Those days were no more perfect than today. Both were and are inhabited by sinners.

13. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You do bring up a good point in every age there is the "golden age" myth. Things were better when. In fact this is never true. Certain aspects were better but there was never really a Golden Age all around. I'm certain there were those who thought that during the french revolution things were better than afterwords if you kept your head.

14. Cutter

Cutter New Member

:thumbs: Very thoughtful and well worded post, unlike some other obsessive minded people on here. :godisgood:

15. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

The OP did address going back to the good old days. This guy's list is not exhaustive, but representative of a culture. This is what happened in the good old days.

16. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

Maybe not the lunch counter C4K but black and white sure ate together at lunch time in the tobacco fields. There were a lot of places that white people couldn't go for service either. I think we have selective memory about a lot of things.

A.F.

17. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Granted, but the consequences of some of those ideals and the motivation behind them is a bit troubling.

Blessings.

18. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Would you be so kind as to point out which of these ideals had or have troublesome consequences?

#18 Cutter, May 26, 2010
  19. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

We still feel the results of what happened long ago in our society today. We may not have been party to it, but we still live with the stigma.

Nobody's viewing anything through the prism of race. He just brought up a point that if we go back in time to when men didn't have long hair we also go back to the time when there were two sets of water fountains.

20. Cutter

Cutter New Member

I don't and I am sad to hear that you do. One of the most well known black leaders of our time urged us all to judge a man by the content of his character and not the color of his skin. Don't you think it's time we did that?

#20 Cutter, May 26, 2010