1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Agree Or Disagree?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Cutter, May 26, 2010.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I think Rascal Flatt pegged it in his song 'Mayberry.'

We might miss aspects of it, but it is gone. God wants to be content with what we have and where we are. It is easy to look back at the 'Mayberry moments' of the good old days but we neglect to see things like polio and racism and sexism and smallpox.

Praise God for the life He was given me in 2010.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Big time disagree. I don't miss my "Mayberry". It's a nice place to escape once in a while, but the reality is my "Mayberry"- which was someone else's 'heaven'- was 'hell' for me.

Thanks to God for His GRACE which is not limited by time or place. It didn't stop in the 50's and it still goes on today.

3. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I wonder if "Mama Tried" would disprove this ideal about days gone by.

Of course, despite all his Sunday learnin' toward the bad he kept on turnin.'

4. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Good Old Days

Grandpa was always going on about the good old days and the
    lower cost of living in particular. "When I was a kid, my
    mom could send me to the store, and I'd get a salami, two
    pints of milk, six oranges, two loaves o' bread, a magazine,
    and some new blue jeans ... all for a dollar!"

Then Grandpa said sadly, "You can't do that anymore. They
    got those video cameras everywhere you look."

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hear your spirit Cutter.

From an "old-timer".
    HankD

6. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I come from the good old boy, clean cut, better than every one else, self-righteous God fearing, redneck culture. We praised God from one side of our mouth and from the other side called the folks who lived on the back side of the hill a derogatory name simply because their skin was a different color. We hated homosexuals period. They were hell bound mutants of the highest order. A guy who wore a pink shirt was surely queer and only pansy white boys wore an earring. A white girl who dared to go out with a black person was a traitor and a mud shark. No thank you! I won't nothing to do with those days.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I am very glad to be living in 2010, and have no desire to return to Mississippi of the 50s and 60s.

8. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Sorry that you were such a racist and intolerant lad that you could not enjoy the blessings of a slower time. One that saw disciplined children, that knew how to say yes sir and no sir, that had less crime because life was more sacred and people respected other people's stuff, that expected more out of themselves and others, that agreed with God and judged homosexuality to be sin, that had a strong work ethic because it had been taught to them and
    they knew they would feel the scorn of their family and community if they turned out to be a bum..

#48 Cutter, May 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
  9. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Perhaps that's a mirror you're looking at, not a photo.

10. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Surely you jest. It was tongue in cheek. I no more believe that he was raised in this type of home than I was. I have been misjudged on the the BB and I was showing that just as others have jumped to conclusions about me, that I could illustrate this folly of others in my own post, and make a few points about the thread, to boot.

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I want to make myself quite clear about one point. I am glad to be alive today, and thankful that God has put me here. When I said I did not want to return to Mississippi fifty years ago, it is because of the way African Americans were treated by state and local governments. It was wrong, dead wrong.

Having said that, there were positives back then, such as a more moral society, discipline, respect for one another, and a strong work ethic. Had I been an adult back then, I would have stood up for what I thought was right.

Personally, I think the post of Cutter is emphasizing the positives that existed back then. He grew up in the South about the same time I did, maybe a little later, maybe another state, but basically the same. Cutter is not a racist. I made the mistake of misjudgeing him earlier, and apoligized to him. I believe him to be a strong Christian that gives due respect to others regardless of race, creed or anything else. Making a case for the strong points of American society five decades ago does not equate to racism.

We sometimes make some odd associations on this board. Just because one is conservative, believes in indiviual responsibility, and does not believe in government handouts does not make one a racist or bigot. If a racist slur or demeaning an entire race of people was done on this board, the person would probably be banned after a warning.

Cutter is a friend of mine, and do not appreciate seeing others call him a racist or bigot.

12. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Here is what Saturnneptune posted that I strongly agree with:

"Having said that, there were positives back then, such as a more moral society, discipline, respect for one another, and a strong work ethic. Had I been an adult back then, I would have stood up for what I thought was right."

The strong work ethic is gone(or at least gone in a lot of my family), because generation upon generation has been on welfare. What started out to help the needy, became an abuse by many.

Backtalking your elders got a busted lip, or a switch/belt, maybe even both when I was raised up, and I was born in 1971. Kids got yelled out to pull their pants up when I was a kid; now its "in style". When I was going up, homosexuality was never "socially acceptable" as it is now. Shoot, to be "gay" now, makes one a "celebrity"!! To be a good moral citizen, makes you the dregs of this earth, scum is even above you. All this is linked to one thing, and one thing only, SATAN, and his stranglehold on this world. He is the "prince of the power of the air", you know.

i am I ams!!

Willis

13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Yep, judging from Cutter's response the round peg fits the round hole perfectly.

14. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Thanks Scott. You're such a nice guy. :flower: Seems you were able to overcome all of the obstacles from your youthful culture. It would serve you well to not harbor so much ill will and carry a chip on your shoulder toward those that are able to see that, although there were ugly and bad things that happened during that era, there were also a lot of good and wholesome elements in it, as well. Elements that a person of reason and judgment should be able to decipher and follow, casting the bad away. We do still have a mind and the ability to reason, right?

15. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

Back to the original post - I pretty well agree with it.

The poem isn't really about turning back the clock. Neither is it saying that things were perfect in the old days. It is saying that some good things were lost along the way to where we are now.

Anyone who thinks that everything is better now really is living in a dream world.

A.F.

16. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sometimes we remember only the good.

17. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

And sometimes we remember only the bad.

18. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

One of the lines in one of the Merle Haggard songs I posted earlier went like this...

Sometimes during concerts he will jokingly sing that line like this...

:laugh:

19. Onlybygrace

Onlybygrace New Member

:laugh::thumbs::applause:
    Jaigner you crack me up!

20. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

You mean black men actually had white friends when blacks weren't allowed in a "white" area? That could have been fatal for both of them.