1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Aieeeee!!!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by npetreley, Jul 25, 2007.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I've seen it argued here that "eternal" must mean "1,000 years" because the etymology of aionios shows it can mean "an age".

The full etymology of aionios, however, takes you back to the word "aie" as the first root, doesn't it? And "aie" means "ever". Doesn't that bring us back to "forever" or "everlasting" or "eternal"?

:laugh:

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I interpret the silence on this as conceding the point. Since the full etymology of aionios is aie, and aie means ever, then even if you take the KS approach of using etymology to define a term, the translators did get it correct by translating these words as "forever", "eternal" and "everlasting".

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I guess that depends on how ever long ever is. If you ever find out, I'd be interested in hearing it. Personally as a KJV man, I never had a problem with the words 'forever', 'eternal' and 'everlasting'. Even in English they mean the same thing.