1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Airs

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Luke2427, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Er, Ahhhh....yea & Pharisaical :saint: :laugh:

2. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

One and the same.

3. mactx

mactx New Member

I have to wonder, what attribute of Christ are we portraying when we are rude and hurtful to one another? Or bickering back and forth with one another.
    He was bold, he was forthright and he could be blunt.
    He was never, ever rude or hurtful.

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Define rude and hurtful.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When He called people hypocrates, that was being kind?

We are all adults here, so nobody needs to be scolded. However the backbiting is getting ridiculous. Thankfully this topic reminds me of a wonderful Bible study lesson....see attached. :godisgood:

http://eddiegriffinbiblestudy.blogspot.com/2009/05/strain-at-gnat-and-swallow-camel.html

#85 Earth Wind and Fire, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013
  6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

7. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

Maybe it just means to strain while standing nearby and looking at the gnat. :laugh:

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got me...still another scripture interpretation I guess.:laugh:

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well, they are kinda hard to see! :laugh:

10. mactx

mactx New Member

He was being blunt to those who refused salvation because they were so caught up in their own rightness they had become fools.
    He wasn't nit picking or just being mean. He wasn't arguing just for the sake of an argument.

The Bible itself is clear on such things.
    It is one thing to have a frank discussion another to argue and bicker.

11. drfuss

drfuss New Member

An interesting thread.

Years ago, I had a Pastor who, if he had a bad week, would come and dump it on the congregation and pull the whole church down. You would come to church to worship the Lord, and then be pulled down to his discouragement level. I want my Pastor to "put on airs" for the good of the church.

I have noticed that people who have "loosing their temper" problems, assume that everyone has that problem. A hotheaded pastor I had, said that anyone who says that they do not loose their temper, is lying because everyone looses their temper. Of course, that is not true. First Corinthians 13 says love is not easily provoked (some translations say is not provoked).

12. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Act 9:29 And he spake boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus, and disputed against the Grecians: but they went about to slay him.

Act 17:17 Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.

Acts 19:8 And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God.

Acts 19:9 But when divers were hardened, and believed not, but spake evil of that way before the multitude, he departed from them, and separated the disciples, disputing daily in the school of one Tyrannus.

Titus 1:10 For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: 11Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake. 12One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, The Cretians are alway liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. 13This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;

Gal 2:11 But when Peter was come to Antioch, I withstood him to the face, because he was to be blamed.

Jud 1:3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort [you] that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

But avoiding dumping your feelings upon the people is not putting on airs. It is being faithful to preach the word regardless of the circumstances.

What I am talking about is the act of projecting a level of mastery of the Christian life which you do not even remotely possess.

This facade hinders people from witnessing what the Lord is actually doing in your sanctification process so that people cannot be encouraged by it.

It also, for those who are fooled by it, makes struggling Christians feel like they are simply inferior and not likely to ever be successful like you are in the Christian life.

It is also likely to exalt yourself in your own mind. The worst person one fools with airs is himself.

It also engenders an atmosphere of fault-finding and judgment. No one is free to be real for fear of being judged by those who seem to have it all together.