1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alabama Legislature votes 60+% pay raise

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by rbell, Mar 9, 2007.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

What an unconscionable act of unmitigated gall.

Alabama's legislature by secret vote approved a 60+% pay raise yesterday. They also indexed their pay to automatically increase every year.

Several senators objected, but the motion was "gavelled through" by the Lieutenant Governor.

I've seen a bunch of Alabamians on here...so here's what my request is to you: Call the Governor's office and encourage a veto. It is quite possible that the veto will be overridden...but it must be done with a recorded vote.

This is one of the more shameful acts propagated by our Montgomery bunch of charlatans:
    • Making it one of the first items on the agenda...as if the matters of out taxpaying Alabamians should take a back seat to these people lining their pockets.
    • Voting in secret...not being "man enough" to stand up and admit, "Yes, I voted myself a 60+% raise."
    • Making an automatic adjustment for the future...so that this bunch will never have to answer to Alabamians again about this issue.
    • Doing a good enough job to start with so that people like me could understand the need for a pay raise.
    Here's some contact info for you good citizens:

Lieutenant Gov. Folsom (the man who pushed the secret vote through):
    http://www.ltgov.state.al.us/ or call (334) 242-7900

Governor Bob Riley:
    http://www.governor.state.al.us/ or call 334-242-7100

Your local senator/representative:
    http://www.legislature.state.al.us/ and follow the links to find/contact your local legislator.
    House switchboard: (334) 242-7600; Senate switchboard: (334) 242-7800

MODS: ALL NUMBERS ABOVE ARE PUBLISHED, PUBLIC SWITCHBOARD NUMBERS. (didn't want yas to think I gave out private #s :thumbs:).

Speak out. Now. Thanks.

2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

That is foolish on so many levels. They should've just done it the Texas way...if you are a "civil servant" looking for more spending money, hook up with a desperate big pocket pharmaceutical company like Merck or sell your transportation infrastructure to an international interest like Cintra...instant pay raise without the fuss of a vote. ;)

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul Harvey where are you.
    What is the REST of the story

If the pay was $100 a month and they increased it to $160 a month, I dont see a problem.

But if the pay was $ 15,000 a month, and the new income would be $24,000 - well I could see that would be a bit too much.

So, when you give me all the facts, I will give an honest opinion

Salty

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

The increase is from $30,710 per year to $49,500 per year. They are part-time. (source: http://wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=6202013)

More than two-thirds of the legislature have government/education jobs. (43 are employed by our corrupt 2-year college system...many with titles such as "Associate Director of Community Development" paying $80K annually. One senator teaches one class at Alabama State University and makes $50K annually). (source: http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?firecollege/firecollege54.html)
    EDIT: this article mentions 37; the Montgomery Advertiser says 43. Dunno why there's a difference, unless some have quit under pressure.

as Paul Harvey would say...(dramatic pause)....good day!

Now this part I'm less sure about: I believe they can receive up to $50 per day in perks from Lobbyists...but I'll have to find a source on that one.

#4 rbell, Mar 9, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  5. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

What rbell said, plus the fact that they gave themselves a raise, and did it secretly. Only an utter idiot goes into politics in the first place, but ti takes someone bordering on brain-dead to have run for election not knowing what the paycheck was going to be.

In your job, unless you own the business (and have no Board of Directors), you do not give yourself raises. Your employer does. If the barely-functional, ridiculously inept Alabama Legislature wants a raise, they should have to ask Alabama voters for it.

6. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Texas lawmakers are paid $7,200 per year, plus $128 per day for expenses when the legislature is in session; 140 days every other year.

That totals out to $16,160 per year.

This pay is the same for all Representatives and Senators, up to and including the Lieutenant Governor.

Each pay raise must be approved by the voters.

Maybe the voters of Alabama should hold a vote to lower the pay rate of their lawmakers. Maybe a swift kick in the pants like that will give them cause to think before acting like this.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Them's ain't bad "Bisquits" to be bringin' home!!! When do I start?????:laugh: :laugh:

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Unfortunately, our districts are gerrymandered to the point that many of the senators & reps will never be voted out of office. I wish we could kick 'em...and I'm doing my part.

You can start just as soon as you renounce your Christian ethics, and sell your soul to the devil.:laugh: