1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alcohol Consumption and violence.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Ben W, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Quite the contrary, I don't believe "anyone" else at all will experience any reaction to a communion size cup of alchohol. Other people can drink in moderation because they experience no way near the reaction you did the first time. Perhaps your story is true (personal attack removed)

[ January 09, 2006, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: DHK ]

2. standingfirminChrist

whether it is a communion size cup, or a half a glass, people feel the effect of it when they drink it the first time.

3. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Not me. Didn't feel a thing. 21 birthday, June 12, 1999. Lone Star Steak house: Raleigh, North Carolina. Full Margarita. Thought is tasted pretty gross. Should have had a coke.

4. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Pete--
    My husband's story is true.

**Edited to clarify previously edited post above**

[ January 09, 2006, 08:31 PM: Message edited by: blackbird ]

5. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

How am I attacking his character? I find his experience strange but I am not doubting whether it is true. And if it is, then indeed he should stay away from alchohol with a ten foot pole; not to mention niquil which would lay him out cold [​IMG]

I'm challenging that it is a common experience.

[ January 09, 2006, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: blackbird ]

6. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

I have never heard of anyone who felt the effects of alchohol after a communion size cup of wine. Your husband would be the first. I went to a college that by volantary choice decided to abstain from alchohol so when school was out I saw many many people drink alchohol for the first time. Perhaps its an age thing.

7. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Pete don't take it to heart.. I have been charged with the same offensive, when I was only stating my case for my opinion.

These conversations have gone on for a long while now and I believe the people in them are growing weary of defending themselves, and that goes to both sides of the arguement.

Just let it roll off your back and keep on moving...

Jamie

8. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

The following from "how stuff works"

After absorption, the alcohol enters the bloodstream and dissolves in the water of the blood. The blood carries the alcohol throughout the body. The alcohol from the blood then enters and dissolves in the water inside each tissue of the body (except fat tissue, as alcohol cannot dissolve in fat). Once inside the tissues, alcohol exerts its effects on the body. The observed effects depend directly on the blood alcohol concentration (BAC), which is related to the amount of alcohol consumed. The BAC can rise significantly within 20 minutes after having a drink.

Once absorbed by the bloodstream, the alcohol leaves the body in three ways:
    The kidney eliminates 5 percent of alcohol in the urine.
    The lungs exhale 5 percent of alcohol, which can be detected by breathalyzer devices.
    The liver chemically breaks down the remaining alcohol into acetic acid.

As a rule of thumb, an average person can eliminate 0.5 oz (15 ml) of alcohol per hour. So, it would take approximately one hour to eliminate the alcohol from a 12 oz (355 ml) can of beer.

The BAC increases when the body absorbs alcohol faster than it can eliminate it. So, because the body can only eliminate about one dose of alcohol per hour, drinking several drinks in an hour will increase your BAC much more than having one drink over a period of an hour or more.

One glass of beer = one glass of wine. I guess you drank approx. 1/25 of a glass of wine (that is generous). Should we care to guess what your blood alcohol content was.

MY guess, not even enough to be detected because this amount of alcohol was distributed and diluted thru all the water in your blood stream.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh bouncing bullfrogs! You had an experience with wine, when the Bible says we are to have none [your words]? So you'll be in hell [your words also]?

10. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

This is why at 200+ pounds I can consume alot more alcohol then say a 99 pound person and have the same or lower BAC. I have more body tisue to dilute the alcohol in.

With out an abnormal medical reason it would be impossable for you to have a BAC high enough to feel effects from one communion cup of wine.

11. RayMarshall19

RayMarshall19 New Member

I Timothy 3:8: Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain.

I notice that this verse DOES say drink in moderation, not as a command but as a limit.

I can't see the proverb you quote as anything but a warning about drunkenness. If it is a prohibition, then Jesus must have sinned when he violated it.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I see you have responded to several other posts since I posted this one. Perhaps you overlooked it?