1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alcohol in cooking/baking

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Debby in Philly, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

[​IMG]

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Does that mean you will no longer buy food too because 2/3 of the people in America are fat? Does that also mean you will no longer buy gas too? Do you know that when you buy gas you are supporting the Middle East Muslims?

3. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting.

All of this heated discussion because I raised a question that for me concerns one holiday cake recipe. It was handed down from my grandmother, and it happens to require a cup and a half of concord grape wine in the batter. We've tried it using grape juice and it's too sweet, just not the same.

So once a year it's more of a sinful indulgence than, say, the cookies we bake, simply because it contains wine? I feel it connects me to my family history, preserves a family Christmas tradition, and I get to think of her and where I came from.

4. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

My mom isn't uptight and I know she wouldn't be thrilled to see me coming out of a liquor store.

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Some people are pushing the "anti-legalism" bit a little farther than it needs to go.

I simply gave my opinion. I will NOT go into a liquor store in our small town and be seen by anybody, Christians or non-Christians alike, because I feel like it will damage MY witness.

I am NOT telling you folks not to. You have to deal with God and I have to deal with God. That is just the way I feel and as long as I don't stand up and say that you are evil if it is your opinion that it does not effect your witness, this is NOT legalism. It is simply MY OPINION.

When I am confronted by Jesus, I do not want to have to explain why I had a negative effect on someone: Christian or non-Christian---this is just something that "I" won't do. If you wish to, that is between you and God.

As far a wine in food is concerned, there is no alcoholic content left if it is cooked. So, therefore, I see nothing wrong with the specific use of wine in food. If my pastor disagrees with me, that is between him and God, not between me and him. Get it? [​IMG]

6. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Phillip,

I will agree with you. I won't buy wine in the small town I'm moving to for the same reason. I'll buy it where no one knows me!

Actually, I'm not worried about what unbelievers will think because I know what they think. They don't see anything wrong with alcohol in moderation (the Biblical position). But because of improper teaching by Christians, I will side step the whole issue. In other words, I'm worried about Christian gossip. Sad, isn't it?

7. superdave

superdave New Member

If you look at the scriptures for guidance, its no different than drinking wine for other purposes.

The use of alcoholic beverages of some sort (what the Biblical reference is is debatable), is not clearly prohibited, so you have to view the other principles.

If you are getting inebriated, where you are "drunk with wine", it is clearly wrong. Not applicable to most cooking involving alcohol.

If you are unable to control your own behavior, it is wrong. Paul talked about all things being lawful, but he would not be brought under the power of any. Self control is always a good decision.

If you are creating a situation where you are causing someone else to sin, it is wrong. This gets tricky. Perhaps you should avoid cooking with alcohol if you are serving someone for whom it is a struggle, and someone who sees you buy that six pack to boil your brats in (As you can see my cheesehead is still firmly affixed, even if I did migrate to the Holy Land) may not know what it is for, and it could give them a "excuse" to justify their own drinking that could be sinful.

Many recepies can have other ingredients substiututed for the alcoholic beverages, that is always an option. Rum extract, Sparkling grape juice (which is not sweet) for wine, etc. Non-alcoholic brandy, etc. That is probably the best choice where it is available.

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I don't mind getting "drunk" from baked goods. Send me some. I will send you my address.

9. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Debby. For heaven's sake, preserve your family Christmas tradition, make your grandmother's recipe to the glory of God, and enjoy it.

Merry Christmas.

10. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Rum balls on the way! You will get drunk. I did once at work when a secretary brought them in and I had no idea what they would do to you until I was walking around "feelin' GOOD". :D

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You might say they are getting high on the stuff that produces the smoke. That's part of their culture. A funny thing I noticed too was when I pastored in the south, I saw more alcohol in their refrigerators than anywhere else I have lived. But heard more sermons against it than anywhere else too. The people just learn to tolerate the preacher and tell themselves they don't believe him because Jesus drank wine.

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Alcohol boils off at 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Now I would think most coooking is done at a hotter temperature than that.

13. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Awwww! come on and have come Christmas spirit (or spirits) GB and quit griping about us Suthun' Baptists for a day or two. We ain't all as bad as what you think. I don't smoke. I don't have any alcohol in my fridge (it would be in the wine cellar if I could afford one :D ).

Unlike many places, most of us Okie Baptists live by what we preach. (Then there are some. . . :rolleyes: . . . that we try to ignore.)

In reality, you must have really had a "how to put this nicely"----"real winner of a church (maybe)" where you got a real bad taste of SBC. I am sure that they exist in certain areas, but most of ours are pretty much like Dr. Bob's (believe it or not). With the exception of a few hypocrits, which I would imagine the good Doctor has to deal with too. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

The thing I noticed about the South was how shallow their Christianity is. About an inch deep and a mile wide.

Divorce and remarriage was rampant in the South. And this was in the Southern Baptist churches!

Also, except for the growing "New South" SBC, most were ingrown, inbred, Suthun! Watching them worship and fight was sickening.

Now I know this is true in the North, too. But we don't pride ourselves on being the "Bible Belt."

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

16. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Paul, I humbly disagree. During my non-Christian days, when I ran around with the wrong crowd. I HAVE heard OFTEN many non-christians saying things like "Hey I saw that deacon from First Baptist buying liquor in the store. Not such a BIG Christian after all is he." Plus, many, many other remarks.

Don't think your non-Christian neighbors and friends are not watching you to find out what is so different about being a Christian and not being a Christian.

This has NOTHING to do with legalism, this has to do with how you want to be perceived by non-Christians. As Christians we are supposed to be different. If we do not act different, then why would a non-Christian see any need to change?

Legalism has become a dirty word by those who want to have their cake and eat it too. Yes, I disagree with going out on the street and calling a homo-sexual a sinner that is going to hell. Now THAT is legalism. But, to practice it, after becoming a Christian, is just not the Christian thing to do.
    </font>[/QUOTE]But why should we put ourselves under a standard that doesn't exist, just because somebody has a false perception of Christianity?

Why should I face condemnation because a non-Christian is ignorant of what Christianity teaches?

And let's be honest, so what if they see me? What do I care? Let them think what they want.

17. delly

delly New Member

I don't drink because alcohol is a mood altering drug. It changes a person and is so addictive. Many lives and marriages have been ruined by alcohol (mine specifically). My ex stated that drinking alcohol made him a man. It just made him an abusive fool that his son and I couldn't stand to be around. In the end it made him a dead fool.
    As Christians we are to abstain from all appearances of evil. I would never do something that would cause my son to think less of me or bring back those horrible memories of his childhood.
    I can't even stand to be close to someone who is drinking, so NO, I would never use alcohol in cooking. I don't even allow it in the house.

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where does one draw the line?

Vanilla flavoring (and several other flavorings) is an alcohol solution.

One cannot make yeast bread without making alcohol, when the bread rises it means that carbon dioxide and alcohol are being produced.

Of course it dissipates when cooked.

Overindulgence is the sin.

Too much fatty meat, salt or sugar leads to diseases that will kill you at a young age as well as an overindulgence in alcohol.

Personally I abstain from alcohol except in medicines and cooking (as above) not because it is intrinsically evil but because of the scriptural warning against offense.

HankD

19. Christianbsw

Christianbsw New Member

I really feel called to revive this post. Cooking with liquors is safe, provided that it is only used for cooking. It is best if the alcohol is cooked off. Is there an alcoholic in the home? Is there an experimenting teen in the home? Can it be locked out of site? Moderation is a major key to consuming as drink (wine). As a recovering alcoholic, I choose not to buy alcohol in any manner at any time. Attending a party (wedding, holiday, etc.) where alcohol may be used or served is not an issue, though I prefer not to attend these. As a student, I have chosen not to attend 95% of the activities at my University because there is alcohol served. The host must make that choice.
    With regard to liquor stores, I am very concerned. The vast majority are built in low-income, high-risk communities where access can be made easy to people who are generally more prone to not have the funds freed up for procurement. Thus, people spend limited funds on something that does not really serve their benefit. Also, public stores such as groceries make it easier for minors to steal alcoholic beverages. THis increases risk to young people. If we allow liquor sales, I would prefer that we make it only from a "liquor store" and not allow anyone under age 21 to enter the store in any manner.
    Just my two pence worth.
    Best wishes.

20. Gib

Gib Active Member

At the Robitussin :rolleyes: