1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alcohol-Question

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Jesus is Lord, Apr 20, 2003.

1. jwinter

jwinter Guest

Jesus as Lord,

==================
    But I really would like to know your opinion about this subject. There are some strong passages in the Word of God concerning wine...
    I just would like to know your position because when I bring the issue up, everything I hear from German Christians is "Jesus used to drink wine a lot". What is your position and why?
    ===================

Alex, you need to remember that Jesus was considered a glutton and a drinker of wine by the Pharisees (Mt 11:19). He also manufactured an excellent wine (John 2:7-10). Wine is also the New Covenant in Jesus' blood (1 Cor 11:25). Jesus had problems with money but not wine. Drinking was never condemned, Drunkenness was.

Jesus loved people and He liked being with them!

2. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

Did you read all my post? As long as they aren't picked up and used by a person, they are harmless.

A hymn book in my hand is potentially more dangerous than a gun lying on the table. The gun can't get up and shoot someone, but I could whap someone on the head with the book.

3. Y'Israel

Y'Israel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes...I did...

Work in that field...and know full well...
    people who carry guns...don't do it as a fashion statement...people who have guns lying on a table...are not doing it so they can be a featured home in House Beautiful...they intend to use them...

same is true of people who keep their booze on the table...it is for easy access...

the combination...booze and guns...deadly...

Best thing to do is leave both alone...

no one I have ever heard of...was killed by a Baptist Hymnal...tho...the combination of me and a Baptist Hymnal is rough...don't sing to well...just loud...

Anyway...we are equiped with Swords...that will trump both a gun and a bottle of booze...and correctly applied...can bring life!!!...

The Sword of the Lord!!!...the Word is a Mighty Weapon...for good...

Give me that anyday!!!

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you enter a house...and see a bottle of whiskey...with a gun lying beside it...on a table...what would be your first thought?...

RUN!!!...would be mine...it is like saying a person is armed...and dangerous...
    -----------
    Anyway...we are equiped with Swords...that will trump both a gun and a bottle of booze

So even though you are "equipped with...that will trump both a gun and a bottle of booze," you would RUN!?

Sounds like you don't think it would do any good to "trump" those things.

5. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

Y'Israel, I don't think you quite understand what I'm saying.

I'll type slow.

As long as a bottle of whiskey is stationary, the lawsof physics or whatever it's called say it will stay in that one spot, until an outside force moves it, i.e., a person picks the bottle up.

As long as the bottle is left where it is, that is, no one picks it up, it cannot do anyone at all any harm.

Your actions, what you do with what you have in your hand, is what makes the object dangerous or not. Alcohol will not harm anyone, until it is picked up and used by someone.

6. Y'Israel

Y'Israel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Walk into a situation like that...before you critize...

pass judgment...

I was referring to Eph. 6...

the only thing alcohol is good for...is to disenfect wounds...like the one that might be inflicted by a flying Hymnal...

7. Y'Israel

Y'Israel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the real world...my friend...

I am saying...people who keep their gun and bottle on the table...have every intention of using both...

and I am typing really slow for you too...

8. wizofoz

wizofoz New Member

So you're taking literally what I was talking about figuratively.
    As long as they don't use either one, they aren't hurting anyone, are they?

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These kind of wounds?...
    "Give strong drink to him who is perishing, And wine to him whose life is bitter. Let him drink and forget his poverty And remember his trouble no more (Proverbs 31:6-7)?

10. Y'Israel

Y'Israel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    didn't intend to sound harsh...flippant...

But I think too often...we as Christians insulate ourselves from the world...are afraid to go out and get our hand into it...grab these people up by the lapels...and say...

"I want to introduce you to my Big Brother...Jesus...He is wonderful...and if you have Him in your life...you won't have any use for that gun...or alcohol..."

"but you might for a hymn book..."

Jesus...didn't hang around with the good guys...He came for sinners...

and for that I am thankful...as I qualify...along with everyone else...

11. Y'Israel

Y'Israel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many quote that passage from Proverbs...but neglect to look at the verses just preceeding in which the writer cautions the King...

against those two destroying sins of uncleanness and drunkenness, which, if he allowed himself in them, would certainly be his ruin.

Let those that are ready to perish drink soberly, and it will be a means so to revive their drooping spirits that they will forget their poverty for the time and remember their misery no more, and so they will be the better able to bear it.

The Jews say that upon this was grounded the practice of giving a stupifying drink to condemned prisoners when they were going to execution, as they did offer...to our Saviour.

But the scope of the place is to show that wine is a cordial, and therefore to be used for want and not for wantonness,

by those only that need cordials, as Timothy, who is advised to drink a little wine, only for his stomach’s sake and his often infirmities, 1 Tim. 5:23