1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alcoholic beverages

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Dec 12, 2010.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Company had a Christmas party yesterday. I went to it, although this year I did not get $300, but regardless the Lord knew what he was doing. The only day I missed for the year (not allowing me to get a bonus) was a day I took off for religious reasons. Well it did no count against my job, but it counted against my bonus. Oh well.. I think I may need to stay away from these types of dances. This was a secular party and they played all the exact same music as the so called Christian singles ministry in this area. The only difference was that at this party they did serve alcohol (however I drank nothing). I cant stand alcohol anyways and its horrible taste. Although if they had Mikes Hard Lemonade or Hard raspberry it would have been tempting since those drinks are loaded with sugar and I have a sugar addiction. I used to be a major sugar alcoholic. So is drinking a struggle for you guys?

John

#1 evangelist6589, Dec 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2010
  2. SRBooe

SRBooe New Member

Yes, it is. However, I will allow myself a drink on occassion and limit myself. I dislike the idea of being drunk and even worse dislike the idea of acting stupid.

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I've seen this elsewhere, where one feels superior or more holy than others.

For instance, a man went to a social, the other men were wearing shorts, but not he. This prompted a testimony in church.

Same thing for women. A woman went to a social, the others were not wearing a dress, skirt, what have you. This too prompted a testimony in church.

These two illustrations run akin to "I thank thee that I am not as the ________.

As for alcohol useage, use it one time, in the presence of the world, and it will be held against you. It can seriously hinder your testimony. This is the case, no matter what they tell you. I'm sure someone here has an illustration to prove it's cool in their world. That's the exception, and not the rule.

And please, don't ever do it in front of the two I just mentioned. I couldn't handle hearing another "testimony."

4. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

No struggle for me there. I cant stand to be drunk but I do like a drink every now and then. Mikes Hard Lemonade give me heartburn though. :smilewinkgrin:

As far as my testimony goes, I am NOT PERFECT and never will be in this world. I testify to one thing, that I am a forgiven sinner, thats all. People have way too many assumptions about what a Christian is. The Word tells me not to be a drunkard, but does not forbid consumption of alcohol.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Take a keg and place it where the water cooler was and see what happens. Alcohol will shoot one's testimony to the floor quicker than anything I know. One drink can lead to two, two to three....

Let not your good be evil spoken of. Look at all the beer and/or liquor commercials on TV. All they show are a bunch of "pretty people" dancing with it in their hands, dancing and having such a "wonderful time". They never show the aftermath of "commode olympics", those who go to jail for DUI/DWI, AI/PI, vehicluar homicide, etc. They just show the "good" their product possess. Walk in a church anywhere here in America with a six-pack of Bud, and see what happens. If you can drink at home, you should be able to drink at church, right? I just don't see where alcohol shines a "good light" to the "dark world"(the sinful world).

The reason why I am a te-totaller is this: one drink can lead to two, two to three, three to four.....

i am I am's!!

Willis

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A very very good reply Willis. People often argue with me about drinking in moderation and while technically speaking it may be safe and not sinful to drink a beverage or less a day in the home. This may work for some people, the problem is that it does not work for most. The Bible does not forbid drinking, it simply says its not wise. The Bible does forbid getting drunk no doubt.

John

7. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

There are two churches in my town where beer and wine are served regularly in the fellowship hall.
    It can but usually does not. I have used alcohol for 47 years and have not been drunk since my college days.

8. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

I am going to say the say thing here that I said in another thread. At one time Idrunk alcohol. But haven't since 1981. God convicted me of it, not some legalistic preacher. It may not be a sin for some of you, but it would be for me. I firmly believe drinking alcohol in public damages your testimony.

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I do not struggle with alcohol at all other than the fact that I have chosen to not drink and sometimes I just would love to have a particular drink in a particular setting. A margharita with Mexican food, a beer with a BBQ or a nice glass of white with a good dinner. :) But my choice for my ministry is to not drink so I don't. But I have never struggled with it.

10. SRBooe

SRBooe New Member

Your testimony to the world would be damaged.....

What if I told you that there are people in the world that think that Christians don't go to movie theaters..... so you would damage your testimony if they see you there.

How about those who think that dancing is sinful, so Christians don't dance -any type, any music. That would damage your testimony.

Did you know that Christains don't smoke? Well, for you smokers, there goes another testmony!

I'll bet some of you are aware that there are those who think that a Christian would not join the military services. Yep, you lose your testimony if you join the military, too

I heard a guy on Talk Radio call in and say that a real Christian would not be against Obamacare, because the Christain thing to do would be to provide health care for everyone. Yep, vote against Obamacare - your testimony is shot.

When are you guys going to realize your standard is the Bible and not some worldly attitude about Chrsitians contrived in the movies? Quit living up to the world's rules and expectations and start worrying about the real instructions we have been given.

If you want to worry about being a bad testimony, then stop coveting and stop the adultry. How about you quit smacking your wife around and start following traffic laws. Start showing patience at WalMart and be courteous to your waiters and watresses.

Now THOSE are stumbling blocks you need to worry about. Those I can find biblical references for without any legalistic notions.

You don't need to make them up as you go.

11. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

I just don't understand how drinking a beer now and then can ruin my testimony. In fact, in my experience, the proper use of alcohol has given me great opportunities for evangelism.

12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope, it's not.

13. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No.

Never been drunk.

Never wanted to be.

I seriously doubt I will ever get drunk.

And yes, I occasionally partake of an alcoholic beverage in the presence of believers and unbelievers.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really? Your joking right?

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope - I agree with him as well. We've also had opportunity to speak to people about the Gospel BECAUSE of having a drink. It's interesting just how many people have this preconceived notion about what Christians are "supposed" to do. When they hear the truth, suddenly walls are broken down. "Really? Wow - I thought I had to be perfect and never drink again to become a Christian." Once they realize that it's a personal choice and not a "rule", objections no longer stand. :)

16. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

Sometimes in order to talk to a drinker, you must have a drink with them before they will listen to you.

17. SRBooe

SRBooe New Member

Amen

I am experiencing this very problem with my Dad. He is reluctant to find a church for fear that he'll find one that requires legalistic but not scriptural behavior.

It causes problems to allow worldly society to dictate our behavior based on THEIR interpretation of how Christians should behave.

18. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Heard of a billboard advertisement----two men out in the boat fishing----both have a beer in their hands

Ad said------it doesn't get any better than this!!!

Then I thought----the ad is exactly right----it doesn't get any better----it only gets worse!!

I abstain from the consumption of alcohol---and therefore---I have no problem drinking it!!

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    6 generations of Reformed families, Calvinist Methodist, Baptist, Anglican, Presbyterian with Pastors & Elders & never a word said against drinking. In fact they met in pubs on weekdays to review scripture. I honestly dont have a problem with someone having a drink now & again. Now if they are problem drinkers, just dont do it cause your an alcoholic (just like a diabetic cant eat chocolate). Know your weakness & act on it.

20. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your one drink..., on occasion..., caused a lost sinner to not come to the Lord..., would some of you still think it was okay to consume?

When a "drink" is offered or it's insisted that I have just one, I tell them sorry, but I'm a recovering alcoholic and one drink would set me off for weeks. No, I'm not an alcoholic at all but that always puts an end to the matter.